• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joyce1bro
    • Jul 2018
    • New Zealand

Purchasing stolen / recovered NW GLX-R

Hey all,

First off I’m in New Zealand and there is an opportunity to purchase a 2013 GLX-R Australian import.

I ran a couple of reports one being CarJam.co.nz and the other being carhistory.com.au both came back as being written off!

Now I don’t mind if the car was written off with minor damage ie scratched panels etc but the PPSR cert is showing the below:

NEVDIS Written off Vehicle Notifcation:
    NSW, 13 Feb 2018, Statutory Write-off
    M01J [ Malicious/vandalism/stripped | Passenger front | Major vandalism ]
    M02J [ Malicious/vandalism/stripped | Driver front | Major vandalism ]
    M03J [ Malicious/vandalism/stripped | Driver side | Major vandalism ]
    M04J [ Malicious/vandalism/stripped | Driver rear | Major vandalism ]
    M05J [ Malicious/vandalism/stripped | Passenger rear | Major vandalism ]
    M06J [ Malicious/vandalism/stripped | Passenger side | Major vandalism ]
    M07G [ Malicious/vandalism/stripped | Engine | Minor mechanical damage ]

NEVDIS Stolen Vehicle Notification:
    Not recorded as stolen.

The car has been imported and re registered, engineers checked and is all road legal now in NZ. The current owner has said that he imported himself and there was no major damage just scratches and a cracked front windscreen and said it seems the norm that stolen and recovered vehicles tend to be written off. He has pre import pics which I’m waiting for.

Major thing here is if there was no structural, chassis or engine damage etc then im thinking it should be ok?

What’s everyone’s thoughts?
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Unless it’s really cheap and you’re happy to ‘take a chance’ I’d walk away!

I know just about anything can be repaired (check out some of the split window VW Kombi restorations of vehicles pulled out of swamps!) but I’d be worried it’s had a quick ‘slap dash’ repair just to sell (especially given the damage is logged as only occurring earlier this year).

I’m also assuming that Pajeros are not uncommon in N?
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Joyce1bro
      • Jul 2018
      • New Zealand

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      Unless it’s really cheap and you’re happy to ‘take a chance’ I’d walk away!

I know just about anything can be repaired (check out some of the split window VW Kombi restorations of vehicles pulled out of swamps!) but I’d be worried it’s had a quick ‘slap dash’ repair just to sell (especially given the damage is logged as only occurring earlier this year).

I’m also assuming that Pajeros are not uncommon in N?
      They’re not uncommon just not at the price with the ks it has. It’s about 10k cheaper and I’ve jus seen the pre import damage photos and there is basically nothing only some scratches and a small dent on the tailgate which has been fixed it also had a bullbar which had minor scratch damage but was changed to the standard bumper. As for the engine it was a ESC??? Light that was on and cleared when serviced by Mitsubishi nz. FYI it has 120ks on the clock

Comment

• pauld
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2010
        • Melbourne

The ESC light would have been on probably after a flat or disconnected battery, this clears after a short drive.
        2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

I'd be very cautious.

Check your insurer will insure it.

Appears the current owner is selling it after only a few months - why? "Back yard dealer" making a quick quid?

I'd get a panel shop to inspect it to verify the extent of damage & quality of the repair work - I assume there is no guarantee on the work?

Usual checks on the rest of the car, eg, service history, mechanical condition, etc.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

this is an nz thing i recently was looking at a modified for off road prado,late model ,bull bar winch and a lift...good price. turned out it was an ausse statutory write of...the dealer was adamnt it was not flood damage i didnt buy it. 120ks is not that low if it hasnt been serviced.
            sorry for typing not too good with only left hand
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole mate sorry. If it has been stolen you never know what damage has been caused to engine, gearbox etc etc. I know from experience how stolen vehicles are predominately driven.
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Scrambler
                • Jul 2018
                • Toowoomba, Qld

In Oz cars get written off 2 ways, the lesser of which is Repairable. That can be registered in Oz.

A statutory write off cannot be.

Could be 24 hours in water, could be other things. But if little damage and completely written off, i wouldn't walk away, I would run.

This car could not be registered in Oz. Ever.
                =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

Just to balance the arguement a bit -

About 10 years ago was trying to find a Mazda Astina for the wife for a run around, shopping trolley. Found a stolen and recovered Ford Laser for half the price and half the kms at a local, small, used car dealer. Took a punt.

Was a fantastically reliable car. Even got 8 years and over 200,000km out of the battery I had to put into it a year or so after I bought it.
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Joyce1bro
                    • Jul 2018
                    • New Zealand

Originally posted by Scrambler View Post
                    In Oz cars get written off 2 ways, the lesser of which is Repairable. That can be registered in Oz.

A statutory write off cannot be.

Could be 24 hours in water, could be other things. But if little damage and completely written off, i wouldn't walk away, I would run.

This car could not be registered in Oz. Ever.
                    Understand what you’re saying but there was no report of water damage, vehicles imported to nz with water damage are not legally allowed to be registered, to get it legally on the road it has to basically go over the pits get full compliance and certification that it is safe. It then needs a wof every 6-12months for the remainder of its life. It has also been serviced and checked with Mitsubishi here in NZ. I’m not saying you’re wrong just trying to see the other side. We have pretty stringent certification and registration here in nz so I can’t see why they would deem it legally safe for our roads if it’s not?!?????

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

The engineer working on Shorty told me that once water has come through the door seals the vehicle is classed as a statutory write off.

How many vehicles owned by members of this forum would be classed as a statutory write off on that basis?
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Joyce1bro
                        • Jul 2018
                        • New Zealand

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        The engineer working on Shorty told me that once water has come through the door seals the vehicle is classed as a statutory write off.

How many vehicles owned by members of this forum would be classed as a statutory write off on that basis?
                        good point.... how ever there is nothing on the report that states water damage... also this has been checked out by mitsubishi NZ..

off topic if there is no diff lock on a 2012 exceed does that mean it has an open or limited slip diff?

Comment

• NJV6
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • New Zealand

There are hundreds of perfectly safe oz write offs driving about NZ. It’s well documented and even has a dedicated website that lists the damage. For a vehicle to be complied in NZ after a write off it is amazingly strict with a lot of the vehicle being stripped and inspected and signed off.

Enter the rego/vin motor this site and see what comes up.

Flood damaged, water damaged and written-off vehicles that have not been correctly repaired can compromise the safety of vehicle features. Check your vehicle against this list of vehicles that have come to our attention.

I wouldn’t be too stressed about it being written off for superficial damage if it’s been all checked out and not deep water damaged, that’s damage that will show its head later in life.
                          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Joyce1bro
                            • Jul 2018
                            • New Zealand

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                            There are hundreds of perfectly safe oz write offs driving about NZ. It’s well documented and even has a dedicated website that lists the damage. For a vehicle to be complied in NZ after a write off it is amazingly strict with a lot of the vehicle being stripped and inspected and signed off.

Enter the rego/vin motor this site and see what comes up.

Flood damaged, water damaged and written-off vehicles that have not been correctly repaired can compromise the safety of vehicle features. Check your vehicle against this list of vehicles that have come to our attention.

I wouldn’t be too stressed about it being written off for superficial damage if it’s been all checked out and not deep water damaged, that’s damage that will show its head later in life.
                            came up empty... nothing to show

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Joyce1bro View Post
                              good point.... how ever there is nothing on the report that states water damage... also this has been checked out by mitsubishi NZ.
                              Sorry, my point wasn't so much "is yours water damaged?" as "Australia writes off vehicles for ridiculous reasons."

As our inglorious government once told us, "be alert, not alarmed". With regards to the write-off, check the vehicle carefully, and if it all checks out, buy it.

As others have stated, I'd be more concerned about the fact it was stolen rather than the statutory write-off. The whole "drive it like you stole it" scenario...
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X