• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike1769
    • Apr 2017
    • Australia

NM Front door seal leaking/ wet carpet

My NM is leaking water front door seals, does anybody know or heard about the trick of cutting a V shape on the rubber seal. And if so exactally where, does anybody have photos of the V cut... this wet carpet business is really pissing me off. And I have heard is bad with Pajs... help please
  • binda
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2013
    • rocky

Actually I've never had this problem ever. What does the V shape do?

I've had the aircon drain blocked and water has overflowed into the cabin.

Also I've heard of the heat exchange core leaking inside the cabin.
    04 NP DiD
    Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

I'd start at 1st principles. Get in the car and get someone to spray all around the area with a hose.
      It would I think be pretty obvious if water was getting in past the door seals.

More often it comes in through the vents at the bottom of the windscreen (air intake) or up through a hole in the floor or through the wheel well somewhere.

Good luck!
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Mike, the first thing I'd do to eliminate the door seals as a cause is a very close inspection of said seals.
        Good light and some hands and knees work involved but have a good look at the seals and check for an obvious marked area around the full length of the seal.
        They generally have some indication of contact with the body and you should see it, you should also notice any area a little different to the majority.
        You may be able to do some extra checking with some builders chalk or talc powder.
        Other than the seals, yep, vents
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Check the drains in the bottom of the door.

Water runs down the door window, past the window seal, and is supposed to drain out of the bottom of the door, which is outside the door seal.

If the drain(s) don't drain properly, water backs up inside the door until it overflows inside the door trim. At this stage, instead of keeping the water out, the seals keep the water in, until the water flows over the door sill (under the door trim?) and into the footwell.

Cutting the door seal isn't fixing the problem - it's dealing with a symptom.

Make sure the doors can drain properly.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• uditha
            • Oct 2015
            • Carigieburn, Vic

Does your's has a sunroof?
            If so, I'm guessing the blocked or damaged drain tubes from sunroof could be doing this as well.
            2002 Pajero NM Exceed, 3.5Lt, 5 SP Auto
            Uniden UH7760NB CB Radio, 20" Slim LED Light Bar, Kings Awning, Stock size A/T tyres

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

Two things …

1. Make sure the wet carpet isn’t coming from a blocked air conditioner drain – when the drain is blocked the water overflows onto the carpet inside the car.

2. If it isn’t the air conditioner, when I had (probably still have) this problem I found it happened when the vehicle was parked on a slight lean – ie. the passenger’s side was slightly higher than the driver’s of vice versa. I found that water that got inside the door cavity – ie. ran down the window and into the door, seemed to drain out onto the metal strip (that the door closes over) under the door, on the inner side of the seal and trickled down into the car. I discovered this by opening the door and finding the water trail still on the metal strip. My solution has been to make sure the vehicle is parked level when it is raining.

Cheers
              Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X