Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 06-07-16

Default Rear suspension airbags

Just chasing views and experiences just got back from towing a camper trailer out bush and found the rear sagged with trailer on a lot, The setup is standard its a 2016 NX i am looking at putting on air bags to level ride when towing, Does anyone have airbags installed already and if so what brand do you recomend, I dont want to change the suspension if not needed as the ride is great and off road performed great without camper on.
cheers Martin
Old 06-07-16
Valued Member

Depends on your ball weight & how loaded the car is but I think you will find the bags won't be enough to level things out
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
Old 06-07-16
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Like Paul says, you cant beat springs rated to the load. But airbags can and do help.

I put firestone bags in mine this time around. I haven't had the camper on the back to comment on their performance as yet.

I have polyairs in the NP.

My observations between both:

The polyair bag is a nice firm fit in the spring and have been there for 100,000Km's faultlessly. The poly air requires a hole drilled in the upper spring cup. Some seem to have an issue with that.
Airline secured to a barbed fitting with a butterfly clip.

The firestone bag is a loose fit in the spring. I noticed on my last outing, you could hear the bag rub on the spring, it squeaks a little. You can fit a kevlar bag to these and increase the inflation pressure (something I think I will have to do). A mate with a new prado and same camper as mine went down that route on my advice. He had to go to max inflation pressure to level his ride. However, he states at these high pressures, the ride is very harsh. These require no hole to be drilled as the line exits at the bottom. I was a bit reluctant about that, however after install, I have changed my mind. Its very easy to do and will be secure enough.
The airline is secured with a push in fitting. Not as good in my mind. But if I get 100,000Km faultless KM's out of them, like the poly air, then all will be good.

So in summary, I dont think the bags are as good as a rated spring for the load, but they certainly dont hurt neither.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 06-07-16
Valued Member

You'd be better off with a light weight WD hitch in my opinion. Air bags might level things up but some reports are that they are not good for the chassis, being too harsh. The guy who put my suspension in advised against them. I have RidePro springs with Rox shocks and a lift of about 45 at the back and the ride is great. I tow a 16' van too, and the set up with a Keme WDH works great.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Last edited by Ian H; 07-07-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-07-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
You'd be better off with a light weight WD hitch in my opinion. Air bags might level things up but some reports are that they are not good for the chassis, being too harsh. The guy who put my suspension in advised against them. I have RidePro springs with Rox shocks and a lift of about 45 at the back and the ride is great. I tow a 16' van too, and the set up works great.
Probably wouldn't be an issue on the pajero-no chassis.never been the biggest fan of wdh. Depending on the couplings on the trailer they may not even be able to be used.Each to their own though
Old 06-07-16
Valued Member

So do people use a WDH on pajeros then. The majority I see do, given a towball weight of around the 180kg limit that most people towing seem to aim for.

I know without WDH the Pajero seems a lot lighter in the front end. That can't be good for steering and braking.
Old 06-07-16

I've just come back from driving to Broome and back from Sydney, towing a camper. I have polyairs in the rear springs and I think they are great. They reduce the sag substantially, (but not completely) but you need to ensure you pump up the bags before you put the load on. Main benefit is not bottoming out on bumps.

When I have set up camp, if I am going out and about I reduce the pressure in the bags so the ride is more comfortable. I have a small, quality bicycle pump to pump up the bags (my valves are in the rear bumper) and it takes less than a minute to pump up.

I had polyairs for 12 years in my last 4wd in which I did 200k km, without any problems with the bags. Just make sure you don't have less than 5psi in them or put more than 30psi (I keep a margin for error and have only ever pumped up to 25psi).
Old 06-07-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green troll View Post
So do people use a WDH on pajeros then. The majority I see do, given a towball weight of around the 180kg limit that most people towing seem to aim for.

I know without WDH the Pajero seems a lot lighter in the front end. That can't be good for steering and braking.
From a recent post elsewhere;

Wdh 101
A correctly set-up WDH (weight distribution hitch) are fantastic at doing what they are designed to do, and that is to distribute the tow ball down loads between the front and rear axles.

A 100kg tow ball down load actually applies about 140kgs of load on the rear coils on your Challenger, this is because of the leverage effect of the distance behind the rear axle as a percentage of the vehicles wheel base. Once the rear axle load exceeds the front axle load there is weight transfer from the front axle onto the rear axle, this is why the front end goes up. What the WDH does is to stiffen the relationship between the vehicles longitudinal plane (think chassis) and the trailers drawbar, depending on how "stiff" the pivot point at the tow ball becomes determines how much weight is transferred and shared by the front axle. WDH's only transfer the tow ball down load weights and not those in the rear seat or cargo area. WDH's should not be used off-road or on very rough roads, great on smooth roads and with an empty rear seat or cargo area.

Most camper trailers are not set up for WDH's, due to their poor design and increasing weight forward of the trailer's axle, mean they can actually put as much or even more tow ball downloads than a full size caravan with a WDH fitted.

Your rear springs suspension should be taking the rear seat, cargo and about 60% of the tow ball downloads if you use a WDH.

If your trailer does not have a WDH or you travel off-road and on rough roads then your rear suspension must be capable of handling the combined loads that are in the rear seat and cargo area + the tow ball downloads x1.4.

Failure to have your suspension setup correctly for the loads you carry and over the terrain you traverse will result in premature failure of tyres and suspension components, also the handling and the safety of your vehicle will be seriously impaired, putting both yours and other road users safety at risk. I amazes my that people spend tens of thousands of dollars on vehicles and caravans/camper trailers but neglect to spend a a few thousand on suspension, tyres, couplings, trailer brakes/anti sway and WDH's.

cheers, OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.

Last edited by old Jack; 06-07-16 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Incorrect information, correction underlined above.
Old 06-07-16

Most of what is said in the quoted recent post sounds reasonable but this bit: "......In real terms the weight is actually greater as there is also weight from the front axle that is transferred onto the rear axle, this is why the front end goes up.... " is rubbish. As he states, the lever action of the towball load will increase the load on the rear axle by an amount. If this is 40kg, then the front axle has 40kgs less on it and this is why it goes up. So the load on the rear axle has the load that was on the front axle but this is not additional to the towball weight plus the 40kg from the lever action.

Last edited by Mundy55; 06-07-16 at 05:39 PM. Reason: 1st; Clarity; 2nd: corrected error - getting too complicated
Old 06-07-16

I run the Polyair bags with the wrap combined with heavy duty 2" raised Lovell springs. I have had no issues after 30,000km of running around probably over 10k towing. I run 10lb in them when not towing and around 30lb when fully loaded.
NM2002 Exceed DID. Safari Snorkel, Garrett GTX2863R Turbo, HPD Intercooler, Synergy / Turbosmart controllers, Mandrel 3" Exhaust Pyro, Built auto, ECB Bar with 12,000lb Winch & Dyneema rope, Rotronic battery system, 2x 120Amp/h AGM AUX batteries, Lovell 2", Airbags, Rhino AT2012, Fiamma Awning. 4x IPF spots 120w HID inserts. Alpine NAV Bluetooth with Type R sound system, UHF Uniden UH8080NB, Couplertec. Rear draw system, 1500w inverter. ARB twin comp / tank, ARB Locker. Evakool. NASA BM-1.