• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Do you run portable genny in the rain?

My interest in gennys has peaked a bit, been camping a few times with people who had small gennys running long extension cords to there lights and fridges while pouring down all night. They just keep the thing exposed. Always wondered about electruction. Maybe the gennys have really high ip rating or something with all the electrical? Doing a bit of seatching online doesn't give any clear answers as how safe they are besides the usual 'you should never do it mate'
    So you walk over to turn it off or start it up and get zapped? Due to the entire ground and genny being wet.

Also cords can get cut or joiners undone energizing the wet ground. Just amazing how these guys seem to never give it a thought.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

When I run my 2kva Honda iy is on a baseboard with 30mm sides to stop it sucking in dust and when iy rains I throw a tarp over it on a frame made of sticks to stop catch burning and to keep gennie from rain water. Also plastic bag the connections of the leads. Some people have a death wish though!
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Pushbike
      • Jun 2017
      • Sydney

Bru9,
      The State Gov't OH&S department whatever it is called or Standards Australia should have a guide for the use of portable generators and other sources such as 12V-240V inverters. Other than recreational users, portable generators are used extensively in the building construction industry.

Both pose a risk to personal safety and are awkward to setup with say Core balance/ ELCB/ Safety switch protection.
      If the voltage source is fully floating, i.e. no connection whatever and a very high resistance between active ( both the "active" and "neutral") conductors to ground/earth or exterior conductive surface, some times facilitated by "double insulation", The only danger is to get across the exposed conductors. E.G. handling plug/socket connections,light fittings, cutting a cable or dismantling equipment.

If the generator's frame has been connected to either side of the voltage source as a quasie earth then you have a problem.
      Again Check the Gov't OHS docs and Standards Aust. recommendations on the use of portable voltage sources.
      Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
      Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Bru9
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        When I run my 2kva Honda iy is on a baseboard with 30mm sides to stop it sucking in dust and when iy rains I throw a tarp over it on a frame made of sticks to stop catch burning and to keep gennie from rain water. Also plastic bag the connections of the leads. Some people have a death wish though!
        Too much stuffing around for me unless running something like an air con. But thanks.

Comment

• Bru9
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Victoria

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
          Bru9,
          The State Gov't OH&S department whatever it is called or Standards Australia should have a guide for the use of portable generators and other sources such as 12V-240V inverters. Other than recreational users, portable generators are used extensively in the building construction industry.

Both pose a risk to personal safety and are awkward to setup with say Core balance/ ELCB/ Safety switch protection.
          If the voltage source is fully floating, i.e. no connection whatever and a very high resistance between active ( both the "active" and "neutral") conductors to ground/earth or exterior conductive surface, some times facilitated by "double insulation", The only danger is to get across the exposed conductors. E.G. handling plug/socket connections,light fittings, cutting a cable or dismantling equipment.

If the generator's frame has been connected to either side of the voltage source as a quasie earth then you have a problem.
          Again Check the Gov't OHS docs and Standards Aust. recommendations on the use of portable voltage sources.
          Thanks.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
            Too much stuffing around for me unless running something like an air con. But thanks.

Dont use mine much. But has been handy when camping for a week and little sun. 25 amp battery charger gets used to assist with the solar panels. 2 x 40 litre engels and lights, music use a bit of power but normally the gennie gets used (90%of the time) to assist fellow campers who are not as well set up. Can understand people not liking to hear them running.
            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Dont use mine much. But has been handy when camping for a week and little sun. 25 amp battery charger gets used to assist with the solar panels. 2 x 40 litre engels and lights, music use a bit of power but normally the gennie gets used (90%of the time) to assist fellow campers who are not as well set up. Can understand people not liking to hear them running.
              That honda of yours would be very quiet ...

We have a kings generator 2kva .. a few db louder
              .. try to keep ours dry ..
              2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                That honda of yours would be very quiet ...

We have a kings generator 2kva .. a few db louder
                .. try to keep ours dry ..

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

If I see a generator, I camp somewhere else.

They are banned in some places too.
                  2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Port Augusta - SA

For the technically minded amongst us, the document linked below is a good read on generators:

2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Pushbike
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

Kingbrown,
                      Thanks.
                      A very good reference, a must read for all portable gen users. Maybe a "Sticky" up front of this section.
                      It also refers to an inverter fitted with an RCD/Safety Switch similar precautions would apply. Jaycar cat. does not list an inverter that would comply with this reference.
                      Note this is a pdf doc and some browsers configurations may download directly to your PC /Device. Keep it for future reference.
                      Last edited by Pushbike; 21-06-18, 02:31 PM. Reason: information error
                      Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                      Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Bru9
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Victoria

You got two small fridges instead of the one big one huh?
                        That is the way i go now as one big one is too awkard and much of its space is in the height so more sorting.

The problem is they are too noisy even the new ones unless you got it 200meters away which is impractical.

Comment

• Bru9
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Victoria

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          If I see a generator, I camp somewhere else.

They are banned in some places too.
                          Yep too much city slicker crap being used. I really hope they get banned everywhere.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
                            Yep too much city slicker crap being used. I really hope they get banned everywhere.

Bit like city slickers buying 4wd,s and only using them once a year if their lucky. Or putting 2 inch lift on their car. ? Or putting louder 3inch system on their car. City slicker their not! Generators have a definite use in the bush. Try camping with a group of fishermen who all have a minimum 60 litre engel. Often 100 litre trailblazer fridges. Many groups take a household fridge for the trip or a freezer. Now they want them as freezers for their fillets. A 60 litre engel in the Northern wet season will use 45-50amps a day just as a fridge. As a freezer they would pull close to 80amps a day. Generator is an easy way to keep battery full as solar is not reliable in the wet. I agree that they can be noisy , irritating machines but anyone who finds a 1 or 2 kve honda/yammie too noisy at 50 meters would just be a paranoid whingeing fart. People who leave them running all night give me the shites as well. They are just another tool that has a place and purpose. Gennies are great...its the dolt pulling the starter cord that can be an issue....

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Gold Coast

Bit like city slickers buying 4wd,s and only using them once a year if their lucky. Or putting 2 inch lift on their car. ? Or putting louder 3inch system on their car. City slicker their not! Generators have a definite use in the bush. Try camping with a group of fishermen who all have a minimum 60 litre engel. Often 100 litre trailblazer fridges. Many groups take a household fridge for the trip or a freezer. Now they want them as freezers for their fillets. A 60 litre engel in the Northern wet season will use 45-50amps a day just as a fridge. As a freezer they would pull close to 80amps a day. Generator is an easy way to keep battery full as solar is not reliable in the wet. I agree that they can be noisy , irritating machines but anyone who finds a 1 or 2 kve honda/yammie too noisy at 50 meters would just be a paranoid whingeing fart. People who leave them running all night give me the shites as well. They are just another tool that has a place and purpose. Gennies are great...its the dolt pulling the starter cord that can be an issue....
                              It's a two way street/track. Gennies have their place to be sure but the considerate user will turn them off by 11.00pm. Some camps even have a rule to that effect. There is a simple solution. Since my first experience with the inconsiderate all niter, I always carry ear plugs. This puts the offending gennie noise way off in the distance and makes it easier to get to sleep.
                              99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X