Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 1 Week Ago

Default 2wd/4wd Diff Switch

I've got the dreaded flashing superselect lights, and have been through the forums for advice. Seems it is the switch on top of the front transfer case that is the culprit.

I have been trying for a few weeks since to find out:
(a) the correct part number for replacement
(b) someone who stocks this part

I have a 96 NJ 3.5ltr petrol manual. The switch is a ball type.

Any help greatly appreciated.
96 NJ 3.5 V6, HID Lightforce Spots, LED Spot, rear LED Spot, UHF, Snorkel, ARB Bullbar, Milford Cargo Barrier, 2.5M Batwing, Custom shelves, Airbags, Rear Camera, Fridge slide, Dual batteries, Diff breathers
Old 1 Week Ago

I don't know the answer to your question.
Just out of curiosity: Do you mean it actually doesn't switch or does it work and the lights don't indicate properly?
My lights blink every now and again but everything works as it should. So I just ignore it

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

The Inside:
Dual battery, inverter, various power points with fuse box, custom fridge slide and shelf in back, removable bed platform, legal 5-seater.

Planned:
Front locker, UHF radio, remote central locking, winch, lights,...
Old 1 Week Ago

i got one for my 93 nh from kings cars (they have mitsubishi spares) Geelong, i didnt know what it was either but they just looked it up. Now i know what it is i see them on ebay. Vacuum leak from that mechanism that looks like a motor bike fork boot also causes front wheel lights to flash on dash (if your model has that).
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYoshi View Post
I've got the dreaded flashing superselect lights, and have been through the forums for advice. Seems it is the switch on top of the front transfer case that is the culprit.
I have been trying for a few weeks since to find out:
(a) the correct part number for replacement
(b) someone who stocks this part
I have a 96 NJ 3.5ltr petrol manual. The switch is a ball type.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Gidday BlueYoshi, "on top of the front transfer case"? Hmm, maybe you are thinking of the cluster on top of the transfer case in the center? Tho it sounds like you are talking about the switch in the front differential? Rarely will it be that diff switch. When you put it in 4wdHi do the dash lights go steady green? If so then the 2wd vacuum solenoid up in engine bay is the suspect. Very common as this one solenoid is on all the time to keep it out of 4wd ie front axles apart (defaults to 4wdhi without it) and that's why the lights are flashing cos the front diff expects to be engaged but you have not engaged it. Sometimes you hear a noise because right front axle is floating in and out of diff. The left axle is always engaged. The little coil inside the solenoid burns out over time. Easy fix is to drive like that all the time, same as Prado or Rav4 are constant 4wdHigh. I certainly do in wet weather. These are a universal vacuum solenoid switch used by many brand vehicles also in commercial air con systems I'm told. You can find secondhand ones in wreckers maybe $10 or $20 or buy new but not from Mitsy cos they will only sell the two as a unit for a coupla hundred to the unsuspecting. For me I buy a new one from Ashdown Ingram Part nu: SWX 029 $40? Have a look just forward and below your brake master cylinder. See two black plastic solenoids with rubber vacuum hoses and electrical wires attached. They clip on a plate that lifts out and can remove each one separately. FIRST tho best check for any vacuum leak in rubber hose. Mine came loose at engine connect end on passenger side once. So trace hose around to ensure good connection and no leaks. The vacuum hoses run down to actuator too. From memory the suspect solenoid is nearest the engine. When you do remove the solenoids (easy) blow/suck on hose connector ports to hear them click on and off. No click no good. Hope this solves your mystery.
Just read 'Need Parts' input and yes the actuator with rubber boot needs to be kept lubricated or can stick so make sure it moves when a person inside vehicle engages from 2wd to 4wd and back. Slide boot back and may need tool to grip shaft to help it move while activated. Bit of grease on shaft helps.
99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Last edited by MTN-KAT; 1 Week Ago at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 1 Week Ago

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...25&postcount=1

I brought all those parts of Aliexpress and they all worked just fine, my only complaint was the transfer case switches 2 where incorrect thread size and the mechanic had to use the original sender on the new cable. All the electrical cables on the transfer case where brittle. Also the switch on the front axle was replaced, repeat ALL electronic wiring on the Transfer Case and the front axle switch was very brittle once replaced was all good electrically.

Also, check all the vacuum hoses in the engine bay as they are all inter connected and a leak unassociated with the 2WD/4WD system was causing low vacuum.
Old 2 Days Ago

Default Thanks

Thanks aussieguy

I'll look into ordering those. They look like they are a pin type, and not a ball type? Was your replacement part ball or pin?

I took mine out and it was the ball type.....
96 NJ 3.5 V6, HID Lightforce Spots, LED Spot, rear LED Spot, UHF, Snorkel, ARB Bullbar, Milford Cargo Barrier, 2.5M Batwing, Custom shelves, Airbags, Rear Camera, Fridge slide, Dual batteries, Diff breathers
Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN-KAT View Post
Gidday BlueYoshi, "on top of the front transfer case"? Hmm, maybe you are thinking of the cluster on top of the transfer case in the center? Tho it sounds like you are talking about the switch in the front differential? Rarely will it be that diff switch. When you put it in 4wdHi do the dash lights go steady green? If so then the 2wd vacuum solenoid up in engine bay is the suspect. Very common as this one solenoid is on all the time to keep it out of 4wd ie front axles apart (defaults to 4wdhi without it) and that's why the lights are flashing cos the front diff expects to be engaged but you have not engaged it. Sometimes you hear a noise because right front axle is floating in and out of diff. The left axle is always engaged. The little coil inside the solenoid burns out over time. Easy fix is to drive like that all the time, same as Prado or Rav4 are constant 4wdHigh. I certainly do in wet weather. These are a universal vacuum solenoid switch used by many brand vehicles also in commercial air con systems I'm told. You can find secondhand ones in wreckers maybe $10 or $20 or buy new but not from Mitsy cos they will only sell the two as a unit for a coupla hundred to the unsuspecting. For me I buy a new one from Ashdown Ingram Part nu: SWX 029 $40? Have a look just forward and below your brake master cylinder. See two black plastic solenoids with rubber vacuum hoses and electrical wires attached. They clip on a plate that lifts out and can remove each one separately. FIRST tho best check for any vacuum leak in rubber hose. Mine came loose at engine connect end on passenger side once. So trace hose around to ensure good connection and no leaks. The vacuum hoses run down to actuator too. From memory the suspect solenoid is nearest the engine. When you do remove the solenoids (easy) blow/suck on hose connector ports to hear them click on and off. No click no good. Hope this solves your mystery.
Just read 'Need Parts' input and yes the actuator with rubber boot needs to be kept lubricated or can stick so make sure it moves when a person inside vehicle engages from 2wd to 4wd and back. Slide boot back and may need tool to grip shaft to help it move while activated. Bit of grease on shaft helps.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, got the location wrong, but went through all of the troubleshooting suggested, checked hoses, replaced the solenoid (even though mine appeared to be ok). Took out the switch and tested, no continuity open or closed...so my light flashes, then goes off for days, then comes back, then flashes. 4wd engages and disengages as per normal.
Old 2 Days Ago

BlueYoshi can't remember, but made no difference in the end as the switchers where good the wiring was the problem. So the ones which had the incorrect thread we used original switch with new wiring.