Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 1 Week Ago

Default C/V Shaft extension

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, please forgive my lack of knowledge.
2001 NM Pajero, 2" Bilstein lift (front and rear) 30mm suspension spacers, 35mm wheel spacers, aftermarket C/V joint shaft kit sitting on 285/75R16 Dick Cepek's

My issue is following the failure of my factory C/V's I bought and had installed the aftermarket kit.
This was fine until I put in the new 2" Bilsteins.
Now due to the increased height/angle - the CV's are now having to hyper extend which is causing issues when cornering and accelerating.

My question now - is there anywhere anyone knows of to buy, or have made extended shafts for the C/V's ?
I've called around a few places, and cant seem to find anywhere that'll do it

If need be I will remove the spacers, have the original CV's rebuild and re-installed, but if possible i'd like to avoid that.

p.s - I know it will be expensive to have extended/custom ones done.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to marcthelegend

Your best best would be to get the factor ones rebuilt. They are a superior design to (as far as i know) all aftermarket CV's and are significantly stronger.
I just tolerate the "washboard effect" and carry a spare set of CV's in the rear footwell should they break but so far i've done 25,000k in 4H on them and am experiencing no issues at all.

I've also tried looking for decent aftermarket CV's and nobody makes anything that works with a lift, when I got mine from Veale they specifically said they're not compatible with a lift kit and you won't get any warranty if its lifted. At $2000+ for a new set I just can't justify it.

I'm looking into a diff drop kit at the moment (reading about legalities before I try and source a kit), there is one for the Pajero Sport and Triton available from KARRMAN 4x4 at a cost of around $2k but nothing for the NM/NP that I can find.
05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)
Old 1 Week Ago

Hi Sheegs,
Seems you're having a few isssues......your description of mods rang alarm bells especially the "35mm wheel spacers". My understanding is that anything over 25mm is illegal. and imposes excessive stresses on the bearings.

I suspect it'll also stress the other components of the front steering. Have you considered this as a root cause of your issues?

Cheers

WD
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I was under the impression that any wheel/hub spacers were illegal, at least here in Vic.
Old 1 Week Ago

@marcthelegend - Yes I think i am going to get the stock ones rebuild and re-installed, I too believe and have been told theyre better than the aftermarket ones ive got in now.

A diff drop could be another way to go as you say - i imagine not an easy job though given its location.

@Wet Dingo - Yeah oddly enough before I put these springs in, all steering components were fine - i was surprised too.
Guy who installed them was worried about upstream stresses but id put it through some harsh offroading and come away with no damage.

@Lance - Yeah, I believe that varies state to state - It isnt hugely obvious that theyre out past the guard (~1" out, if that)
Had cops and even transport inspection vehicles drive infront and behind me - could be jinxing myself but nothing yet.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheegs View Post
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, please forgive my lack of knowledge.
2001 NM Pajero, 2" Bilstein lift (front and rear) 30mm suspension spacers, 35mm wheel spacers, aftermarket C/V joint shaft kit sitting on 285/75R16 Dick Cepek's

My issue is following the failure of my factory C/V's I bought and had installed the aftermarket kit.
This was fine until I put in the new 2" Bilsteins.
Now due to the increased height/angle - the CV's are now having to hyper extend which is causing issues when cornering and accelerating.
Are you using 30mm high spacers (which would give and additional approx 60mm lift above the 2Ē suspension lift - or 110mm lift total), or about 15mm spacers (which would give and additional approx 30mm lift above the 2Ē suspension lift - or 80mm lift in total)?

Either way, Iíd suggest that your CV issues are just the symptoms of the underlying problem of too much lift.

Im sure you donít want to hear this but my advice is to ditch the spacers, and either buy good second hand genuine complete shafts or get your genuine CVs rebuild. While youíre at it ditch the wheel spacers. This will get you not only a insurable, legal and SAFE vehicle, but also a much more reliable vehicle.

There isnít many places that you canít go with OEM rims (which obviously doesnít require spacers) and a 2Ē lift.

rear locker | ARB bullbar | dual battery | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | HID Hella spotties | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | BFG AT's (on 17" NT rims) | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 6 Days Ago

If you want to make your own subframe here is useful video, only thing he's a Lithuanian guy speaking russian. If have any translation related questions let me know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04M1ec8QKc