• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodsfromday
    • Jul 2017
    • Kingaroy

Steering issue

Just recently overhauled complete suspension on my 07 Gen 4. Did rack ends, bushes, shocks and all ball joints. The steering is much tighter now, but what i noticed is that it also feels a bit sticky. It's not a smooth movement and it feels as if you must help it back when say doing a U-turn, and its only very slight.
    Only have the Paj a few months and only drove it a couple of weeks in total. Not sure if it will 'work' itself out or not?
    Also front has a few creaky noises when i reverse at times. Also not sure is everything just settling back in.
    TIA
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Sorry mate only just read this post. Cant really offer much advice but thinking has something been tightened a bot too much?

Has it freed up at all?
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post
      Just recently overhauled complete suspension on my 07 Gen 4. Did rack ends, bushes, shocks and all ball joints. The steering is much tighter now, but what i noticed is that it also feels a bit sticky. It's not a smooth movement and it feels as if you must help it back when say doing a U-turn, and its only very slight.
      Only have the Paj a few months and only drove it a couple of weeks in total. Not sure if it will 'work' itself out or not?
      My guess:

Your rack is "worn" around the centre, where it spends most of its time, but not towards the ends, where it doesn't get as much use.

After your re-build, I'm guessing you adjusted the rack & pinion "clearance" to minimise play in the centre, where it is most worn and therefore had the most clearance. So you have insufficient clearance further from the centre, leading to binding in the mechanism, which is fighting against the inherent "self centreing" of your steering.

Try checking the "adjustment" near full lock.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• rodsfromday
        • Jul 2017
        • Kingaroy

Took it to a steering mob and they said it could be one of two things. Firstly a failed ball joint or steering rack has been adjusted and overtightened. They said they could sort it out for me but would take a lot of back and forth to get it right. I have told them that I will contact the mechanic, who did it, first.
        Car is booked in for tomorrow to be looked at.
        Thanx

Comment

• Mun V6
          • Jul 2017
          • Sylhet, Bangladesh

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post
          Took it to a steering mob and they said it could be one of two things. Firstly a failed ball joint or steering rack has been adjusted and overtightened. They said they could sort it out for me but would take a lot of back and forth to get it right. I have told them that I will contact the mechanic, who did it, first.
          Car is booked in for tomorrow to be looked at.
          Thanx
          How did you solved the issue? Eager to hear from you as I'm also facing the same problem.
          Regards,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X