• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

extra storage space - going up

Hi guys,

today I decided to make use of the grab handles over the back for some extra storage space, now that I have removed the rear seats.
    It's been bothering me having the awning tent poles and camp chair sitting behind the front seats.
    So I did something about it.
    I grabbed some of those aluminum track achor points and put them up where the grab handles were.
    I'm happy to report I can now stash them up high and out of the way.

And here is a video of the 'install'

cheers Brett
    Attached Files
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

thats creative!
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• dhula
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • South of Perth

I applaud the creative thinking but I cringe at the thought of the execution.
      IMO the way you have gone about it is dangerous and for your own safety you should reconsider how you store those items while traveling.
      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by dhula View Post
        I applaud the creative thinking but I cringe at the thought of the execution.
        IMO the way you have gone about it is dangerous and for your own safety you should reconsider how you store those items while traveling.
        I some what agree, I probably would be more comfortable if it were sitting behind a cargo barrier, but at the same time, things are bungee corded to a roof without too many worrying about whether it restrained adequately or whether it has potential to be a projectile and kill someone.
        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• denmonkey
          • Oct 2017
          • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by craka View Post
          I some what agree, I probably would be more comfortable if it were sitting behind a cargo barrier, but at the same time, things are bungee corded to a roof without too many worrying about whether it restrained adequately or whether it has potential to be a projectile and kill someone.
          both good points and I appreciate the feedback.
          I'll try and put my mind to some sort of protection with that in mind.
          I would doubt that they would go anywhere in the event of an accident though, considering the amount of wraps and tension that was needed to get the items to stay up against the anchor points.
          Still, it's possible and worth consideration.

Unfortunately, the cargo barrier would be counter productive in my attempts to gain more space.
          It would also stop me from being able to put long items along the side.
          Is there a cargo barrier that would go behind the front seats instead of the usual rear option ?
          That might work.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

I’d be very uncomfortable with a set of spears aimed at the back of my head.

The issue is that there is nothing to stop the poles continuing forward should the vehicle stop suddenly ie frontal collision.

Great use of the grab handles though but probably best for softer loads.

There are cargo barriers available for behind the forward seats however again I wouldn’t be trusting it to stop a bag of javelins if ever required.
            Last edited by Pajshomoneroguntero; 04-03-18, 08:34 PM.
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• denmonkey
              • Oct 2017
              • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
              I’d be very uncomfortable with a set of spears aimed at the back of my head.
              I'll be sure to have the dull ends pointing forward

Comment

• dhula
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • South of Perth

Originally posted by denmonkey View Post
                Is there a cargo barrier that would go behind the front seats instead of the usual rear option ?
                That might work.
                Most good quality cargo barriers can be positioned in 2 spots, behind the centre row of seats and behind the front seats.
                I can't speak for the Pajero as to how or where exactly they mount behind the front seats but in other 4wd's I've had barriers in (Prado, Defender, 80sLC, 100sLC) the front mounting position usually means the rear seats come out and there is about 15-20cm of space behind the front seats before the barrier.
                To get better use of space to suit my needs, I set the mounting points differently or used different (longer/shorter) mounting straps.
                2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Turorit
                  • Oct 2016
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                  Most good quality cargo barriers can be positioned in 2 spots, behind the centre row of seats and behind the front seats.
                  I can't speak for the Pajero as to how or where exactly they mount behind the front seats but in other 4wd's I've had barriers in (Prado, Defender, 80sLC, 100sLC) the front mounting position usually means the rear seats come out and there is about 15-20cm of space behind the front seats before the barrier.
                  To get better use of space to suit my needs, I set the mounting points differently or used different (longer/shorter) mounting straps.
                  I wouldn't mind something like that in my gen2!
                  2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
                  --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X