Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Cam and crank seal

Hi guys

Have a 99 nl 3.5lt

Had a Cam seal leaking so have paid a mechanic to replace seals and timing belt. He also replaced the crank pulley and woodruff key as it was flogged out pr9b from last time different mechanic did timing belt and 5000km later crank bolt spun loose. Grrrr.

Anyways mechanic has done the work. Took for a short drive and it was pissing out. Repaired under warranty supposedly mechanical error. Drove car for 150 -200kms and it's leaking again. Rang mechanic and he's not happy.

The oil is leaking from behind the harmonic balancer. 1/2 way up the balancer is dry but below is not. It's not dripping on the ground this time but r7nning down the sump to the back (lowest point)

Is there anything else I should be considering with where it's coming from. Want to have thought about all aspects Incase mechanic tries to get out of it this time.

I'm certain it's not the sump as the leak is above that.

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers
Yvonne
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

If it is leaking behind the harmonic balancer, it is the crankshaft oil seal. The shaft surface could be damaged (unlikely) or (more likely) the seal was damaged when being installed. There is no other oil component which is disturbed when replacing the crankshaft oil seal. Whatever, the whole lot has to come off to gain access to the area. The mechanic will not be happy (probably the apprentice did it).
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I've done quite a few toyota klugers and found the leak to be from a tensioner or idler mount bolts which go through the block. I had to use some silicon/locktite on those bolts.
It could be different with Pajero. Just check them to rule out.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Definately sounds like the main seal.
My DOHC had a "terminal" oil leak when I bought it, the housing the seal sits in had been damaged when the old seal was removed leaving a burr, this nicked the seal as it was installed and oil poured out. It was an easy fix and I recon mine had been worked on by the apprentice as the cam seals were worse.
Good luck
http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Update. Cam and crank seal have now been replaced foe the 3rd time now (twice under warranty) and it's still leaking. Mechanic has told me he can install speedy sleeve if they are made for this car but now wants me to pay for the sleeves and labour to pull it apart again.

I'm a bit annoyed as I got him out because of a leaking Cam seal originally.

My question is do speedy sleeve work and does anyone know if they are available for the 99 paj 3.5l

Cheers
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Bound to be as there a measured size not make specific. That said if your paying the full amount for it and hes not giving you a massive discount I would be finding someone else. Hes paid to "know" how to fix it, not engage in trial and error
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks Drewan, Im looking into prices from other mechanics to rectify this.

i think 3 attempts and then wiping his hands of it is not good. just cant believe how much money I have wasted. not happy at all.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I would certainly make sure everyone knows that he has poor workmanship if he is not willing to help you out. If he is supposed to be a professional, he should be able to assess the surface and know if it's good enough for new seal or not, not just throw seals at it hoping that one stays sealed. Or the seals have been installed crooked

To be honest though, I wouldn't trust this guy even if he was willing to now fix it, for 2 reasons. One, it's obvious he can't do what is a simple job properly, second I wouldn't be surprised if he then went out of his way to cause some other issue to occur further down the track just out of spite because you complained. I think you would be well within your rights for refund, on labor at least. Wonder if it's worth talking to fair trading etc
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I would wipe them and suffer the loss after I told them what I think of their Workmanship...

Also let them know that 'Word of mouth is the best form of Advertising, good or bad'...

I took out a Loan to get my work done and have just finished paying it off... Every Payment made me think how useless they were...

Gemster...
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men
Old 6 Days Ago

Hey guys.

An update. Took car to a different mechanic to have the work rectified. Cost a small fortune. So angry there was a lot of damage from 1st mechanic and some of it couldn't be rectified. But car is now home again and fixed. Now onto legal action. Bloody mechanic

Cheers
Yvonne