• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fyn80
    • Sep 2010
    • Aireys Inlet

Well that sounds great!!! Well done!

Just see how it is in a couple of days in the mornings after its been sitting for a while....... hope its turned out well!!

Thats super news though! Be great to hear how its going!

Cheers

Comment

• BrisVegas
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2009
      • Townsville, QLD

Just an update to this. Have done around 10,000km since the fuel system was cleaned out and the Paj is still running along fine. I've noticed the last couple of weeks in the cold weather that is taking 2 cranks and a bit of throttle to get it started and idling. A fair amount of dark smoke too. Once warmed up, it runs great and I'm getting 750-800km out of 80 litres. It blows a little smoke (not sure the colour, as usually only see it in the headlights of cars behind when driving at night) when pulling up hills. Is that normal? It's got plenty of go. I've got a 2.5" exhaust on it now too which probably helps.

I assume the hard starting when cold is just glow plugs?

If the fuel pump is on it's way out, would that dramatically affect fuel economy? Is that what I should look out for? Or would hard starting, that gets worse, be a good indicator? This is our only car now, so trying to plan ahead for what to spend money on. It needs tyres and suspension at some point too.
      'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• BrisVegas
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2009
        • Townsville, QLD

Originally posted by BrisVegas View Post
        Just an update to this. Have done around 10,000km since the fuel system was cleaned out and the Paj is still running along fine. I've noticed the last couple of weeks in the cold weather that is taking 2 cranks and a bit of throttle to get it started and idling. A fair amount of dark smoke too. Once warmed up, it runs great and I'm getting 750-800km out of 80 litres. It blows a little smoke (not sure the colour, as usually only see it in the headlights of cars behind when driving at night) when pulling up hills. Is that normal? It's got plenty of go. I've got a 2.5" exhaust on it now too which probably helps.

I assume the hard starting when cold is just glow plugs?

If the fuel pump is on it's way out, would that dramatically affect fuel economy? Is that what I should look out for? Or would hard starting, that gets worse, be a good indicator? This is our only car now, so trying to plan ahead for what to spend money on. It needs tyres and suspension at some point too.
        Put a new fuel, air and oil filter in Shrek today. Fresh oil too (Penrite HPR 15). I noticed there was a bit of water and gunk in the fuel filter when I drained it. The reddy/brown stuff looked a bit like seaweed! Anyway, I reckon I'll replace the fuel filter every other service just in case.

I'm not too mechanical, but I do feel all warm inside knowing that the trucks got fresh oil and clean filters.
        'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• MrSteel
          • Aug 2011
          • Cobbitty NSW

The bloke who started the thread hasnt posted since '08 - Maybe he got stuck out there coz his fuel pump didnt make it?

I had the same issue - rough as guts, alotta cranking to get the fuel up coz air was getting in - turned out due to low sulphur - injector pump seal had hardened, scoring things that shouldnt be treated so harshly - long story short - $1300 for new pump n close to $1k for labour - fixed it all up great until probably 2 months back (put the new pump in last winter after making it up to Fraser Island n back with a bad pump and bad symptoms) where hard cranking in the mornings had me convinced of a bung glowplug

Turned out my fuel filter - the lil drain in the bottom was causing fuel to leak coz its tiny lil rubber o-ring had hardened. Bloke pulled it out, changed it, greased it, put 'er back in and BAM first crank every time - Not even worth $2 that thing n I was prepared to buy new glowies.

Im hoping - that this injector pump lasts longer than 250k kms tho - Coz i plan on keepin our Paj a while longer only just clocked 300 thousand
          Nick

1994 NJ GLS 2.8 Turbo Diesel Paj : Bull bar, 31 Maxxis Bravos, Airtec Snorkel, AISIN free wheel hubs and 2 patches of peeling clearcoat

Love that car!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X