• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Wow !! How NOT to stop a dog fight !!

My son sent me this clip ... it's a good reason to have a PTO shaft cover. I've removed a couple of mine as the shaft is just too damn difficult to get on with the cover attached. After looking at this I might rethink that !!

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Used plenty of PTO equipment growing up, most without any shaft covers. They were just idiots.

I don't know about with new equipment, but the old ones were made of plastic, became brittle and generally damaged not really providing the cover of the shaft.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

He will need some bloody good shampoo tonight I think!!!..
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by craka View Post
        Used plenty of PTO equipment growing up, most without any shaft covers. They were just idiots.

I don't know about with new equipment, but the old ones were made of plastic, became brittle and generally damaged not really providing the cover of the shaft.
        Yes I sell machinery with PTO shafts, correct & nothing has changed, still destroy themselves, same as you remember

A PTO shaft should be treated with the same respect you would give the Boom end of a gun basically.

You won't get a second chance is the probable outcome.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

I watched the video with great trepidation, as I didn't want to see the dogs get hurt.

I'm pleased the dogs didn't get hurt.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            I watched the video with great trepidation, as I didn't want to see the dogs get hurt.

I'm pleased the dogs didn't get hurt.

Hahaha...same as me! Then I laughed at the silly antics.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

I'd think that bloke was quite likely killed - he went around quite a few times like a dish rag. If the PTO was doing 400rpm. or so, he wouldn't be too good when they finally got him off.

I quite agree about treating PTO's like the business end of a firearm. Loose clothes or pieces of rope etc. can easily get caught in them and pull you with them. I just hope to heck it never happens to me.

Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Crazy-but the guy was asking for it to happen leaning on it like that. Is a cover really necessary? I don't have the experience with tractors like many of you would, but I always just made sure it wasn't running whenever I had to go near it. It's like safety on a rifle-I rarely use it because I much prefer to have no way for it to go bang regardless, so no round chambered at the times the safety would be on

Maybe there is a need to work around a running pto shaft that I don't know about though.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                  Crazy-but the guy was asking for it to happen leaning on it like that. Is a cover really necessary? I don't have the experience with tractors like many of you would, but I always just made sure it wasn't running whenever I had to go near it. It's like safety on a rifle-I rarely use it because I much prefer to have no way for it to go bang regardless, so no round chambered at the times the safety would be on

Maybe there is a need to work around a running pto shaft that I don't know about though.
                  Current WHS legislation pretty much requires that if it can happen, you must assume it will, and take ALL reasonably practicable measures to protect against it. I can't imagine a legally acceptable reason for not having a cover over the shaft.

If it was in Australia, the owner of that tractor would probably be facing court. If it was a death, probably jail.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

I need to remember a farm is a workplace not just some land people play around on. Was so long ago that I last drove a tractor I can't remember if I used a cover or not, but I can picture it in my mind so I think I did. Cover or not I still had the attitude of not going near it while running

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Yes, it would be easier for some if we were allowed to rely on common sense, but unfortunately the law doesn't accept "Darwinism" or "Natural Selection" as a defence.

This video also demonstrates that unforeseen circumstances can lead to people making silly decisions when they react instinctively. Had a cover been in place there would have been no incident, there would be no video.

I can only hope it never happens to anybody reading this thread.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• GHendo
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Northern NSW

Yes, things happen so fast sometimes that we react without thinking. All it takes for example, is if you need something, and lean over to pick it up without realising you’re too close to the PTO shaft – and ‘bang’ you’re a dish rag!

I have removed the cover on a couple of my implements as the shafts are almost impossible to get on with the cover in place. For instance, the PTO on the tractor is down in behind the three-point linkage and you have to try and manoeuvre your hand down in there – you have to press in a locking pin that has a very strong spring (located in behind the cover), while holding up the tractor PTO cover (it flops back down if you don’t hold it up) and at the same time, pull the PTO shaft out far enough from the implement (can be very tight) to slide onto the spline on the tractor. This isn’t too bad if you are able to put the shaft on the tractor before attaching it to the implement, however if (like my slasher) where you have to attach the PTO shaft last, it is a really bugger of a job. Having said that, I’ve actually left the cover on the slasher PTO as without it you get grass all catching in the universal joints and rotating on the shaft which is not too good either. If it wasn’t for that I would probably take the cover off.

The PTO shaft in the video looks to be driving a pump or something and even I would make sure it had a cover – it is just too dangerous out in the open like that. Shafts that are hidden in under linkages etc. are not nearly as dangerous as those out where you can easily touch them. Unfortunately, common sense does not always prevail.

Geoff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X