Below Nav Bar

Collapse

PC Challenger long range fuel tank otions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shortSteve
    • Dec 2012
    • Perth

PC Challenger long range fuel tank otions?

Hey all, done a quick search, didn't really find much in the last 12 months, so asking for people's experience with bigger fuel tank options?

Firstly, not interested in relocating the spare. The cost (and weight) of a rear wheel carrier plus aux tank would mean some poor weight distribution and over GVM with the caravan attached and loaded up.
    The only replacement tank I could find was the Brown Davis 107L tank, nothing from Long Ranger or any other suppliers I could find, and seems to suit PB. Now, I know from experience that if something fits a PB, it will 98% sure fit a PC, but just was chasing confirmation from any owners of the BD tank that firstly it did fit without too much rooting around and if there was any quality/build issues with the tank before committing.
    I also know it is only around 40L bigger than a std tank, and 2 jerry cans is a heap cheaper, but storage is at a premium and could really do with getting a safe 600km while towing without the need to stop. Figure if I am stopping to top up with a jerry can, I may as well pull into a servo...

Thoughts, opinions and experience appreciated.

sS
    MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
    twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
    15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.
  • whereswes
    • Feb 2015
    • Melbourne, Australia

Hi Steve,

I went pretty much the way youre thinking and for much the same reasons.

Another was cost. Kaymar rear bar (if they did make one that was rear sensor compliant) together with aux tank and labor and I was looking at +$6k. Thought of rook rack mount but being 5'7"and 51, I'm struggling to get the Cooper and rim as high as the tail gate, let alone the roof.

The BD was $1,500 fitted and yep, this might be a fair bit of coin for a couple of Jerrys, but I'm happy to live with it.

Ground clearance and departure angles are pretty much the same however, ramp over is impacted a little due to the extra length forward. With your lift and 32" tires you'll probably still be better than stock anyway.

Cheers
    Wes
    2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• shortSteve
      • Dec 2012
      • Perth

Originally posted by whereswes View Post
      Hi Steve,

I went pretty much the way youre thinking and for much the same reasons.

Another was cost. Kaymar rear bar (if they did make one that was rear sensor compliant) together with aux tank and labor and I was looking at +$6k. Thought of rook rack mount but being 5'7"and 51, I'm struggling to get the Cooper and rim as high as the tail gate, let alone the roof.

The BD was $1,500 fitted and yep, this might be a fair bit of coin for a couple of Jerrys, but I'm happy to live with it.

Ground clearance and departure angles are pretty much the same however, ramp over is impacted a little due to the extra length forward. With your lift and 32" tires you'll probably still be better than stock anyway.

Cheers
      Wes
      Cheers Wes, yeah I am even shorter than you so roof mounting of jerry or spare is really not a viable option without a ladder, and then I need to store that somewhere too...
      No issues with quality, service, fitting etc? Have read mixed reviews, but do understand you only ever hear the negatives.

sS
      MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
      twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
      15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• whereswes
        • Feb 2015
        • Melbourne, Australia

TJM said there were no surprises with the fit up other than they hadn't factored in removal of the rear seat.

I'd too heard bad stories in terms of post production swarth so I asked the guys to run a few litres from the old tank through it before they fitted it up. It does have a magnetic drain plug so sometime down the track I'll run it low and pull/clean the plug.

Leading edge is missing a little paint courtesy of some big sand hills in North West Vic but these were big enough to hang a lifted Patrol a few times so the ruts were a fair size.

Hasn't deformed in any way but if I was doing a lot of rock crawling I'd look at seeing if a protection plate could be fabbed up for at least the front 1/3rd of the tank.

Cheers
        Wes
        2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• itsamitsi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2015
          • Hervey Bay Queensland

I've got a BD tank on the short list too. 40L is still 40L you don't have to have on the roof or in the back. Does the back seat have to come out? I can't see what for The guys at BD never mentioned this as I told them I was going to fit it myself.
          Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• whereswes
            • Feb 2015
            • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
            I've got a BD tank on the short list too. 40L is still 40L you don't have to have on the roof or in the back. Does the back seat have to come out? I can't see what for The guys at BD never mentioned this as I told them I was going to fit it myself.
            From memory it was to get to the top of the fuel sender but don't quote me on this (think there's a floor access panel). I'm pretty sure it was in the BD installation instructions that TJM still have stapled to their job card.

Cheers
            Wes

Comment

• itsamitsi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2015
              • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by whereswes View Post
              From memory it was to get to the top of the fuel sender but don't quote me on this (think there's a floor access panel). I'm pretty sure it was in the BD installation instructions that TJM still have stapled to their job card.

Cheers
              Wes
              So be it, if it has to it will
              Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Jackman
                • Dec 2010
                • Gold Coast

I have the BD 107l tank in mine fitted by TJM here on Gold Coast and no problems so far. It did bottom out a few times on Fraser but no problems. The fuel gauge doesn't move for the first 350klms then at 500klms its at half and by 700-750klms at empty.

I average 12.5l/100 around town.
                2021 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport GLX. 18'' ROH Hostile wheels and 265/65/18 Yokohama tyres.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2015
                  • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by Jackman View Post
                  I have the BD 107l tank in mine
                  They've upgraded them to 110L now..... woohoo another whole 3L

Comment

• Ent
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • Tasmania

They've upgraded them to 110L now..... woohoo another whole 3L
                    Is not the last so many litres not obtainable? Also on another thread did not the mounting brackets break?
                    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                      Also on another thread did not the mounting brackets break?
                      Haven't heard or seen that one?

Comment

• whereswes
                        • Feb 2015
                        • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                        Is not the last so many litres not obtainable? Also on another thread did not the mounting brackets break?
                        On usable fuel that's probably true of most tanks but you're right, the bigger the base there's probably more fuel that wont make it's way to the pick up, all other things being equal.

Think BD have learnt their lesson and have since increased the mounting strength (let's hope it's not at the cost of flex).

Cheers
                        Wes
                        Last edited by whereswes; 13-10-15, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Ent
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Tasmania

Haven't heard or seen that one?
                          Link on broken mounts

Link on actual size

Just be aware Mitsubishi's welding is often rubbish so heavier tank could be expected to give trouble.
                          Last edited by Ent; 14-10-15, 06:49 PM.
                          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• shortSteve
                            • Dec 2012
                            • Perth

Have gone with an Outback Accessories 112L tank, will see how it all goes when I get it fitted in a couple of weeks

sS
                            MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab

Comment

• wasarangie
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • Ocean Grove

So BD tanks..... I am happy with my tank just had a few teething problems. Thankfully the warranty was good even in Weipa, BD covered the $700 cost of repair after they fell of their chair about the cost. Anyway I stayed over night in Weipa just to use the pool for a while, sometime around 10pm there was a strong smell of diesel. There was a reasonable size crack 20mm up from the bottom of the tank, that's a full tank. Next day found a bloke that could repair it and another to remove and install. All good just sit around for a day in the pool. On the way home around Brisbane we stopped for lunch and the camper is covered in diesel. This time top right hand corner had a crack, no problem just don't fill it right up and deal with it at home. Lucky BD is in Melbourne and they can fix it there.

Here is the thing. the tank drummed on corrugations, vibration of the side walls of the tank. Due to fatigue the cracks appeared where there was no doubler plates near any right angle corner area, just happened to be two places on my tank. Now this tank has doubler plates and there is no drumming effect on corrugations, even on a near empty tank.
                              It's been a year and many, many corrugations later no problems at all.

as for fuel pickup there has never been any issues getting 100klm out of it after the fuel light comes on. The gauge stays on full for roughly 250klm when full.

the passenger side seat is removed, two covers and four bolts, to access the breather tube, fuel lines and gauge wires. Tailshaft can be left in place for the instal, removing it would be easier for a home instal without a hoist.

No problems at all with the mounts and have never dented the tank, they did say you could put a jack under it with a load spreader with out issue, never tried and cannot confirm or deny.

The best part is Ocean Grove to Sydney on one tank with fuel to spare.
                              SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X