• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cypher
    • Jul 2007
    • Perth

Charcoal filter - Do you need it ????

Do you need the charcoal filter ?

Just had my dual batteries installed and now the nigine bay is very very full..was wondering if anyone has removed there charcoal filter and if you need it ?
    NP VRX 2006 DID, Milford Cargo Barrier, 50mm lift, Dual Batteries, Uniden UHF, Tint, Helton shower system,TJM Bash Plates, Rhino bars and carrier.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Yes you need it - unless you want to vent fuel tank fumes elsewhere, like the atmosphere. Main concern is that fuel vapour is fairly combustible. No doubt illegal to remove it also. Charcoal Canisters have been in cars since the 80's.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• brett
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007

1976 saw the introduction of the charcoal canister, ADR 27A I think it was. It's purpose is to catch the fuel vapour and drain it back to the tank instead of venting it to the atmosphere. All cars survived without it prior to 1976 but unless it's causing a major problem I think it's best to keep it.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

From memory, our 1975 Galant had a charcoal canister, but my 1974 definitely didn't - mid '70s, either way.

The vapours are actually "captured" in the canister, and then sucked into the intake manifold when the engine runs.

Mine has been relocated to inside the bullbar.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Avanner
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by CypherChallenger View Post
          Do you need the charcoal filter ?

Just had my dual batteries installed and now the nigine bay is very very full..was wondering if anyone has removed there charcoal filter and if you need it ?
          CypherChallenger

Hi??.to give you an honest answer??no, you don?t need the charcoal canister. It?s purely an emission compliance device. If your system is working O.K. it does very little at all & is an example of bureaucracy gone nuts. Mainly in California where it originated. Compared with exhaust emissions it?s a joke. Maybe we should have cows with emission devices?.it would do more for the planet!

Comment

• MITSIR
            • Jul 2007

Mine is a NJ 3.0L, The charcoal Cansiter was re positioned on the other side near the brake fluid is. I also have a air compressor installed on that side so you should easily find somewhere to drill a whole and screw in the bracket else where.
            NJ Shortie 3ltr
            ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

• psproule
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Googong, NSW

Old vehicles had a vent elsewhere though - eg the fuel cap. Not into the engine bay. My only concern would be where you vent it to, and any hassles should the vehicle need a detailed inspection - eg a blue slip.
              The environmental impact would have to be nil. Or .000000000000000000000000001 perhaps?
              2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
              2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X