• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
    The article above explains how the cars detected when it was being tested.

This whole scandal seems a bit out of balance to me.

Yes, they've done the wrong thing. No doubt.
    Yes, they deserve to be punished for it.

BUT, is a $77 bn loss to the company and pontially significant job loss in Germany as a result, plus the downstream economic impact to Germany (1million jobs), to a country who bailed out Greece, and have opened their arms to the refugee crisis whereas other contries have put up razor wire.....

Dunno....
    It's a bit like YOU using an SVR mod, or an EGR blank, or installing a power chip, getting caught, and then getting fines of $700,000, causing you to sell your house and take out another 50 year loan as a consequence. Seem fair?

And they lost the war.......
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• RoyHarvey
        • Mar 2008
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post

It's a bit like YOU using an SVR mod, or an EGR blank, or installing a power chip, getting caught, and then getting fines of $700,000, causing you to sell your house and take out another 50 year loan as a consequence. Seem fair?
        Interesting thought, If I were to weaken and buy a new NX (very tempting) I would want to add the EGR resistor trick.

Does anyoneknow what sort of penalty might appply if caught with such a mod in Australia.
        2016 NX Pajero GLX
        Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010
          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by RoyHarvey View Post
          Interesting thought, If I were to weaken and buy a new NX (very tempting) I would want to add the EGR resistor trick.

Does anyoneknow what sort of penalty might appply if caught with such a mod in Australia.
          I think it's up to $25,000
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Up em mate...Live dangerously..
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Its not only VW with problems

GM FINED $1.26 BILLION GENERAL Motors has been hit with fines and compensation orders after being found guilty of intentionally concealing knowledge of a faulty ignition switch that has cost 124 lives. The United States justice department has levied a fine of $US900 million ($A1.26 billion) on the company for not revealing the fact that the ignition switch could shut off the car while it was being driven. (Source: Mellor's Go Auto Edition 795 24/9/15)

I wonder if this type of finding is why we are now seeing car companies conducting safety recalls for faults in quite old cars that may well have been known by them for years? At least they are now acting.
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

but wait there's more

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Terryo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                  I actually had a Pajero on order when Japan suffered it's Fukushima nuclear accident in 2011 & wondered if it had been exposed to any contamination as a result. At the time, the car makers stated their cars were not exposed, but in light of the VW disaster, I wonder if any would have risked having to junk many new cars by saying otherwise. It didn't appear to glow or have any special powers, but I sold it a year later just in case
                  Fellow I know is in the nuclear business. After that happened there was a ship load of cars came in from Japan and his company got the job of testing every car for radiation at $500 per car. Probably just got added to the new car price.

Any way would these VW's be any more polluting than a 10 year old car petrol or diesel?
                  If there is a recall then there will be a business opportunity open up to return them to pre recall performance.
                  Son works in environmental health and drives a diesel Golf. Work mates are threatening to slap him with a fine
                  2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
                  NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
                  NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• Stoneman
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • Melbourne

There all the bloody same!

My triton may or may have a overheating problem

As I said on the triton forum

Emission cheating won't leave you on the side of the road...

If it wasnt so political it would just be an every day recall

I heard yesterday that VW was stupid enough to have the program in there software and not an add on device other manufactures supposedly use ....... Is it true wouldn't be one bit surprised though

We are to beilieve a tooling issue for thousands of engines in tritons and challengers, seriously!

But I don't trust any of them and I think we're stupid if we do
                    NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• RoyHarvey
                      • Mar 2008
                      • Adelaide

Dirty deeds

Personally I very much doubt it was just a couple of software engineers that did this without the knowledge of at least some level of management.

While I don't condone this sort of commercial skull duggery they are obviously clever engineers and I wonder if they could be recruited to look at the MM ESC/ASC software.
                      2016 NX Pajero GLX
                      Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Personally I very much doubt it was just a couple of software engineers that did this without the knowledge of at least some level of management.

While I don't condone this sort of commercial skull duggery they are obviously clever engineers and I wonder if they could be recruited to look at the MM ESC/ASC software.
                        These engineers are nothing special (takes no more than 3 lines of code with formatting). As for ESC/ASC, it is all about setting and compromises. At least the Pajero drive-by-wire is fairly responsive compared to other cars.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Being the owner of an affected vehicle I've been following this on a VW forum.

As best I can tell, the software "switch" was written by Bosch. Somebody speculated that they use it for in-house testing, to tell their ECUs when they're on a dyno so that things like traction control & stability control don't become upset. VW decided to use this same "switch" to help them through their emissions test.

Apparently, to pass the most stringent NOx levels in the US, VW were using a multi-pronged approach - finely tuned injection patterns, careful injection timing, EGR & NOx traps in the exhaust.

I suspect that they could make all of this work, but not reliably and/or economically. As a large number of diesel Pajero owners are aware, EGR does horrible things to your intake, and apparently the NOx traps need to "burn off" regularly - intervals in the minutes rather than weeks, and the additional fuel adds to the consumption. So they used the "switch" to pass testing in the laboratory, and turn off some of their emissions controls to maintain economy & reliability outside the laboratory.

Reading various news stories & other reports, most vehicles use more fuel in the real world than the "official" figure calculated during emissions testing - but some of these affected VWs are returning better figures in the real world, including mine. Officially, mine is rated at 7l/100 km in the "combined" cycle - I average less than 6l/100km in my daily commute. This fits - implement emissions controls on the dyno, get a clean exhaust but use more fuel. Off the dyno, turn off the emissions controls and use less fuel.

If something seems too good to be true...
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

I suspect that VW have just programmed in a EGR by-pass which is linked to all 4 wheel sensors and steering angle sensor. If so then this is just a version of the SPV mod or DIY resistor mod that is popular with many owners of CRD engines. It gives better fuel economy and performance and the engine intake does not carbon up.

I would like to see some real world testing done on CRD engines with 100,000km on the clock, 1 with EGR system functioning and 1 that has been bypassed since new. Chances are the by-passed engine will be less polluting given the same real world drive/load conditions and use less fuel. Emission test should be based on the life of the car and not when it is only new.

I think we have all been "conned" on the concept of "clean diesel engines", modern petrol engines with variable valve and injector timing combined with small supercharger can give the same kW and Nm per litre of fuel used particularly when matched to close ratio gearboxes. If we (our governments) really want to get serious about reducing vehicle pollution then there would be stronger incentives for hybrids which have a small fixed internal combustion engine working at peak efficiency, generating electricity and storing it, to power electric motors, same principle as diesel electric locomotives and heavy mining trucks.

What I dread from all of this is that governments will start testing emissions on all cars at roadworthy inspections and if the standards are set too high then most cars will fail, this would be a great revenue raiser and increase the demand for better vehicles. Japan has had a different approach to reducing pollution, the registration increases substantially every year and by the end of 3 years it virtually forces you to buy a new car as the cost of the registration is so high. The result for Japan is the most modern fleet of cars, a thriving demand for their car industry and a great export business in low km vehicles to other countries like NZ.

cheers, old Jack.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• discolaw
                              • Aug 2015
                              • Gold Coast

Personally if I owned one of the affected cars (which I don't) I'd like VW to leave it exactly as it is thank you. I believe their mod will reduce performance and increase fuel consumption and probably any pollution reduction will be small in the great scheme of things. The issue has nothing to do with safety. Only problem might be resaleability given the massive media coverage.

Comment

• nj swb
                                Resident
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                                What I dread from all of this is that governments will start testing emissions on all cars at roadworthy inspections and if the standards are set too high then most cars will fail, this would be a great revenue raiser and increase the demand for better vehicles. Japan has had a different approach to reducing pollution, the registration increases substantially every year and by the end of 3 years it virtually forces you to buy a new car as the cost of the registration is so high. The result for Japan is the most modern fleet of cars, a thriving demand for their car industry and a great export business in low km vehicles to other countries like NZ.
                                So odds are good that this will happen here. Now that we've killed off the Australian auto manufacturing industry, introduce stringent new laws to massively boost demand for new cars - which will all come from overseas.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X