GPS to laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS to laptop

Hi, there were a few posts a while ago where some guys were using their laptops with their GPSs. I guess the obvious advantage of this is that the info is a lot clearer on the bigger screen. Could somebody tell me what I have to do to make this happen? My GPS is apparently Bluetooth enabled. So if this is done that it mean that whatever mapping info is on the GPS screen will also appear on the laptop? My GPS is a Garmin 760.

Regards,
    S.
  • eltham-mob
    • May 2008
    • Mebourne.vic.au

Gidday shnook,
    generally the laptop is using standalone software (eg. OziExplorer) and is getting a NMEA signal from the GPS over the bluetooth connection. As your GPS unit is bluetooth enabled you'll need a laptop that also has bluetooth capabilities (I know that sounds simple, but you'd be surprised at how many people try to connect to a non-bluetooth laptop ... Doh!). If you don't have bluetooth your GPS can propably connect via a USB link.
    I'm assuming you have a Windows laptop, grab an evaluation copy of OziExplorer (http://www.oziexplorer.com/) and give it a play.
    cheers

Comment

Thanks eltham-mob for that info. So, have I got this right - I'll need to load software into the laptop (yes, it is Windows) that can read the map program info and of course the laptop has to also be Bluetooth enabled. I think you can get a USB Bluetooth adaptor. I am aware of OziExplorer, is this the only software that can read the maps?

So, once this is set up, the map info on the laptop screen will be the same as that on the GPS screen, right?

Cheers

Comment

• Kemsley
        • Apr 2008
        • Brisbane

You also need check if the GPS will send the required Nema strings over bluetooth to the pc. I thought that the bluetooth on these devices was mainly for connection of phones for hands free etc.
        I used to have a NS X DiD Shorty
        Now I drive a VW Amarok

Comment

• eltham-mob
          • May 2008
          • Mebourne.vic.au

Originally posted by shnook View Post
          I am aware of OziExplorer, is this the only software that can read the maps?
          Ozi isn't the only software that can be used for mapping on the computer, there are many other packages available each with their own pro's and con's - the Ozi evaluation is just an easy way to see how your laptop and GPS are going to interact without investing any money to start off with.

So, once this is set up, the map info on the laptop screen will be the same as that on the GPS screen, right?
          The GPS screen will not be displayed on the computer, the GPS is only sending the location data to the computer which is then using the data however the application has been configured to use the data.
          (You could use a GPS emulator on the laptop, but I couldn't see the advantage over just using the GPS itself unless you are creating documentation on how to use the GPS)
          You will also need to obtain digital maps to use with the software, and that topic is best left for another thread

What sort of functionality are you looking for in the laptop+GPS configuration?

cheers

Comment

In view of the detail shown on topographic maps I was thinking that it would be more legible on the larger screen of a laptop.

Cheers,

PS On a different subject, how do I quote a particular line in a reply - I tried hitting the Quote button and selecting the required text but it seems to incluse the whole post.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • doncaster east vic

PS On a different subject, how do I quote a particular line in a reply - I tried hitting the Quote button and selecting the required text but it seems to incluse the whole post.
              highlight what you want to put in the quote, right click and copy, in the new post click quote and paste it in the middle
              Back from the Dark side
              NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

Originally posted by jasonw View Post
                highlight what you want to put in the quote, right click and copy, in the new post click quote and paste it in the middle
                Sorry jasonw, I'm still getting the whole post in my reply.
                S.

Comment

• Pickle
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2007
                  • All over Oz

Hit the quote button! Using left button on mouse highlite text you want deleted(should be blue) hit the delete button on keyboard. Should have only the text you wan't left in the quote.
                  Try it here.
                  Pickle is going to cream all over other teams (delete this part) in Challenge!
                  Dave
                  NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                  Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                    Hit the quote button! Using left button on mouse highlite text you want deleted(should be blue) hit the delete button on keyboard. Should have only the text you wan't left in the quote.
                    Try it here.
                    Dave

Done!

Comment

• OnPatrol
                      Pajero Club Driver Training Officer
                      • Jun 2007

Pickle is going to be creaming the opposition all day at the Challenge!
                      And a top bloke to boot!
                      Dave
                      Sort of worked for me...Pickle is the man

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2008
                        • doncaster east vic

i think i am going to need these for the challenge
                        Dave
                        when i quote someone else it works ok but when i do pickles it comes out like this
                        sorry to hijack the thread
                        Last edited by GOSSAMER; 14-11-08, 06:11 AM. Reason: pickles abuse of power
                        Back from the Dark side
                        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Pickle
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2007
                          • All over Oz

Boy you fellas really give yourselfs a rap.Those comments are more a compliment.
                          Thanks!
                          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• eltham-mob
                            • May 2008
                            • Mebourne.vic.au

In view of the detail shown on topographic maps I was thinking that it would be more legible on the larger screen of a laptop.
                            You'll certainly get a more legible map. Here's an example screenshot of OziExplorer with the Warburton 1:250 000 Scale (NatMap SJ55-06 ED2)

I run OziExplorerCE on my phone and find it *way* too small to actually navigate from.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X