• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

New steel bullbar?

I've been searching for a winch bullbar for my NP exceed and there doesn't seem to be much available anymore.

So far, the only bars I've found seen are:
    ARB deluxe bar (steel)
    ECB bar (alloy)
    Smart Bar (plastic)
    MCC bars (steel)

Opposite Lock, Ironman, TJM have nothing.

A guy at work has a NP with an Opposite Lock bar that is perfect - love it!. It's the bar I want but cant buy it anymore .
    Does anyone know who manufactured it for OL? I could contact the fabricator directly and see if they still have the jigs etc to make another.

I want steel (and I don't want a debate of which is better or alloy/smartbar etc)

So that leaves me a choice of 2, the MCC or ARB. The ARB bar doesn't look as good as the MCC (in my opinion) and doesn't have fog lights.

The MCC bars are made in Taiwan I think, and look pretty good to me.
    MCC’s 4WD products are renowned, loved and operated by 4WD enthusiasts globally. MCC offers a comprehensive range of Bull Bars, Rear Bars, Side Steps and accessories and equipment to suit almost every 4x4 Vehicle in the Market.

I've seen one thread on this forum about a poorly fitted one. I've contact MCC and they provided photos (which are attached) . The attachment method to the front looks ok to me, but I'd like a second opinion from someone who knows better.

Does anyone have an MCC bar? What are your thoughts on them? Is the quality acceptable? Are they strong enough?

Been watching 2nd hand market, but don't want to wait anymore.
    Attached Files
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • Fatboyslim
    • Apr 2013
    • Werribee, Victoria

I'm in the same boat as you mate. I have a NM exceed. I don't really like the look of the ARB bar. The MCC bar looks the best to me. Got told I need to move the washer bottle for it to fit though. I'd love to see a photo of the OP bar you are talking about. Maybe whoever makes it will consider doing so again if there is enough interest. Good luck anyway.

Cheers,

Mick
    Never argue with an idiot. He might drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience!!

2014 VRX, 3.2tdi, ARB Bull Bar, Awning, uniden uhf, KO2 tyres. Pretty standard, but good enough for me.

Comment

• 91Tourer
      • Jun 2010
      • Hunter Valley,NSW

Just be sure the MMC bar is airbag approved, I cant remember. I have not long fitted an ARB winch bar myself to my NP and am very happy with quality. I also looked around for awhile and what put me of the MMC bar your showing was the strength in how its attached to the vehicle.
      Cheers
      Richard
      NP 3.8L V6 2004, Uniden Uhf, Electronic rust protection, ARB winch bar, Lightforce 240 blitz, Tigerz Grande winch with Dyneema rope, Snorkel,Bushskinz Underbody protection, Maxxis 771's, Ultimate Suspension 2" lift with airbagsTug for a GIC Offload camper

NG 3ltr V6 Fully rebuilt, 2" body lift, ARB roofcage now retired!

Comment

• Phil
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2008
        • Sydney

Having fitted a factory/TJM alloy bar and a ARB bar to my NP, I can say that the MMC mounting is the weakest looking of the 3.
        Its mounting kit is just bolting over the chassis boob unlike the TJM & ARB brackets that clamp further back and from each side of the the chassis leg.

Also, hows the steel fatigue in the first picture.
        MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by 91Tourer View Post
          Just be sure the MMC bar is airbag approved, I cant remember. I have not long fitted an ARB winch bar myself to my NP and am very happy with quality. I also looked around for awhile and what put me of the MMC bar your showing was the strength in how its attached to the vehicle.
          Cheers
          Richard
          Richard,
          yes, claims to be airbag and ADR compliant.
          How is the ARB attachment different?
          Marshall
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• NFT5
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Canberra

m_and_m, I'm in a similar position to you, with the exception that I'm looking at the MCC bar for an NW. Narrowed it down to ARB and MCC. In my case, although I liked the ARB bar, I didn't like the price.

I've had an MCC bar on my Triton for 5 years and it's taken 3 big hits with almost minimal damage and easily fixed. I was concerned about the mounting on this one too but it has proven itself so I'm not against the brand on that score at all. I'll be going with MCC for the new one.
            Chris

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
              m_and_m, I'm in a similar position to you, with the exception that I'm looking at the MCC bar for an NW. Narrowed it down to ARB and MCC. In my case, although I liked the ARB bar, I didn't like the price.

I've had an MCC bar on my Triton for 5 years and it's taken 3 big hits with almost minimal damage and easily fixed. I was concerned about the mounting on this one too but it has proven itself so I'm not against the brand on that score at all. I'll be going with MCC for the new one.
              Hi NFT5,
              Thanks, pleased to hear it can take some big hits. What has to be fixed - the bar or the mountings, or both?

Is the steel thickness the same as other bars like ARB?
              Does the weld quality look ok?

Comment

• dmr292
                • Jan 2012
                • Toowoomba

Have a look at these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/mitsubish...14c17de&_uhb=1
                2000 NM Pajero GLS, ECB Bullbar, Sidesteps, Spotties, Goodyear Wranglers, Pro Rack Racks, Ebay Snorkel, K & N Air Filter, ebay awning, ebay bash plates, extractors with 2 & 1/2 system, uhf (to be fitted)

Comment

• dmr292
                  • Jan 2012
                  • Toowoomba

Or this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISH...0f96623&_uhb=1
                  2000 NM Pajero GLS, ECB Bullbar, Sidesteps, Spotties, Goodyear Wranglers, Pro Rack Racks, Ebay Snorkel, K & N Air Filter, ebay awning, ebay bash plates, extractors with 2 & 1/2 system, uhf (to be fitted)

Comment

• Catchin Jack
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • Central Coast NSW

DMX Customs do a custom bullbar, pretty sure it can hold a winch also. Apparently they are ADR approved.
                    They look very nice as well.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Cairns

M and M.
                      Take a good look at the pics that MCC sent you.
                      Installation of the MCC bar looks to me, to cause the loss of BOTH of your front recovery points.
                      So if you get stuck and need to be pulled forward, you are stuffed.
                      I was lucky enough that my NP already had an ARB bar on it when I purchased it. The ARB bar is a very good bar. They ain't cheap, but the design is good and the quality is there, no question about it.
                      Cheers, Dan.
                      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010

Yep - those are the MCC bars.

Comment

• m_and_m
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                          M and M.
                          Take a good look at the pics that MCC sent you.
                          Installation of the MCC bar looks to me, to cause the loss of BOTH of your front recovery points.
                          So if you get stuck and need to be pulled forward, you are stuffed.
                          I was lucky enough that my NP already had an ARB bar on it when I purchased it. The ARB bar is a very good bar. They ain't cheap, but the design is good and the quality is there, no question about it.
                          Cheers, Dan.
                          I was expecting I'd need to have proper recovery points bolted/welded on to the bar. I didn't think the tie down points on the front would be strong enough for recovery.

What do most pajero's use for recovery from the front? Is it an attachment to the bull bar, or those tie downs?

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • Cairns

They are not just tie downs, these points are good for recovery on the NM through to current Pajero.
                            There are no aftermarket recovery point options available for the NM through current Paj that I am aware of. You should never snatch off of the bullbar on any car as the forces generated would be highly likely to do damage to the bar and potentially even rip it off the car!
                            Dan.
                            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• m_and_m
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                              They are not just tie downs, these points are good for recovery on the NM through to current Pajero.
                              There are no aftermarket recovery point options available for the NM through current Paj that I am aware of. You should never snatch off of the bullbar on any car as the forces generated would be highly likely to do damage to the bar and potentially even rip it off the car!
                              Dan.
                              ok - Just learnt something

But if I lose the recovery points with the MCC bar, it narrows down my choice to the ARB. Ah crap!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X