• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sofoklaki
    • May 2013
    • Brisbane

I need help choosing parts for my 4d56 rebuild

Hello everyone, I'm doing a build on my 4d56 and I was wondering what sort of internals/ parts people have used successfully, it's a turbo and I'm going to intercooler turbo, and I do a lot of towing with it so reliability is a high priority. It's going into my triton.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Sofocles Sof for short...
    I like to think that I can get out of trouble faster than I get into it. That is very wishful thinking,but I'm going with it...
    "99 hilux rocket ship with a. 3rz
    "88 Pajero turbo 4d56
    "88 triton 4x4 soon to be intercooler turbo 4d56
  • martinp
    • Nov 2012
    • rokeby

Hi I'm nearly in the same place as I am trying to work out if I should rebuild my 4D56T (or replace the old 91 triton)
    It is getting too smokey.
    I have put a new head on it and have put a Paj 3 core radiator in plus many other little money wasting efforts - umm I mean worth while money chewing things.
    I would like to know why you are going to rebuild.
    I am wondering if just rings and bearings will be enough of a rebuild?
    Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.
    Martin.
    1991 single cab tub ute 2.5 turbo diesel.

Comment

• Sofoklaki
      • May 2013
      • Brisbane

Hi there I'm going to be doing pistons, crank, con rods, upgrade oil pump, I have a nice garrett turbo that bigger than the standard turbo and I'm going to make up a high mount turbo manifold and run a top mount intercooler with thermo fan/s. new radiator, starter, alternator boost controller

Look if your going to take the motor out do everything I drove mine on a cracked head for 2 years by leaving the radiator cap so the exhaust gasses could get out of the cooling system and in the end It started throwing straight oil out of the exhaust. That's when I pushed it up and started driving the hilux more so I could save the money to fix it.

4d56 are renowned for the bottom end knock. they develop it in the big end due the fogging out of the oil pump and the pressure of the oil dropping. That means when you do it up you will have to grind or replace crank shaft conrods. People take the piss out of them but I tow a car carrier and the things I have pulled with that thing as a std natural aspirated diesel is nuts, so I can't wait to see what it's going to do with an intercooler turbo.

If you replace your triton I'm sure you will regret it. You will buy another used car for 5000 and probably spend another 5000 on it. Newer cars have more expensive problems and aren't easy to fix. Land cruisers you have to do the box every 80000 whether you flog it or not, mk tritons had the rattling timing chain problems patrols unless you get a 4.2 have big problems with 3.0L turbo motors blowing up from over boost. Hilux diesels aren't bad but you really really have to pay for them. That is 5L diesel in a 98/9 hilux and a 1KZ-Te (3.0L turbo) 99/2000. They have not a bad box. I would just say have a think, if you don't have another car just buy one off gumtree like a litte $200 bubble car like an early festival or a swift. I can tell you by exp when you have two or three cars you never get stuck and you can keep going to your day job and keep that cashola coming in because that's the main thing.
      Sofocles Sof for short...
      I like to think that I can get out of trouble faster than I get into it. That is very wishful thinking,but I'm going with it...
      "99 hilux rocket ship with a. 3rz
      "88 Pajero turbo 4d56
      "88 triton 4x4 soon to be intercooler turbo 4d56

Comment

• martinp
        • Nov 2012
        • rokeby

Hmm I was not happy to hear about the crank regrind etc
        I was hoping for an easier patch up.
        Maybe I will just keep running it till it is too far gone and just wreck the good bits and buy a replacement vehicle as it is just my second car/rec vehicle which is used to tow and stow stuff.
        1991 single cab tub ute 2.5 turbo diesel.

Comment

• scruffy
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2012
          • Caboolture

Try getting a second hand motor from the wreckers to suit a Kia. Same motor as 4d56 and probably cheaper than getting a Mitsu motor and prob lower milage as well. Bob
          98 NL GLS 3500. Now with a Bocar bullbar and 265/75/16 tyres. Waiting for a snorkel and UHF.
          Now with 7" HID

Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get. Alcohol is a preservative isnt it?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X