• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tuffpajNT
    • Dec 2014
    • Darwin

2.6 ltr swb gen 1 long range tank

I've bought from TJM a LRA 50 litre auxiliary fuel tank that fits the underside of the paj (left hand side front of the rear axel). The kit is comprehensive and costs about $1000 and takes 4 weeks to get fabricated/and shipped.

The tank is 31 kg dry. I calculated the weight when full is ~ 67kg all up, which in my paj is not a problem with my HD suspension lift kit.

once time permits i'll install this bad boy and i'm looking forward to a more practical range with 110 litres! I've also discovered that Brown Davis do have replacement tank options. Those are 85 and 105 litre options. As i am in Darwin, and like other towns have vast distances between fuel stops so I'm considering the 105 litre replacement tank.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tuffpajNT; 27-02-17, 01:57 PM.
  • wazza87
    • Apr 2015
    • Gold Coast

Sweet! Ive always considered a long range upgrade! ARB want $1700+ to fit a brown davis 85L replacement. Where did you get yours? will it compromise clearance? I am fairly certain the 105L reduces ground clearance.
    I thought the fuel tank was chassis mounted meaning it is unsprung weight?
    -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Anything above the springs is "sprung weight" - it bounces on the springs. Fuel tanks are sprung weight.

The Brown Davis 105 litre tank is for coil sprung shorties; the 85 litre may be for leaf sprung.

I installed my body lift so I could have the 105 litre tank made taller; it only got me another 15 litres (total 120 litres) but I now have 45 litres above factory vs 30 litres without the lift. I could also have one of the aux tanks made taller to suit the body lift.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• wazza87
        • Apr 2015
        • Gold Coast

Thanks for clearing that up. I feel pretty stupid actually. How much was the 105? Does it effect clearance?
        -jero- 1990 SWB NG TDi import, 33'' BFG KM2 muddies on 15x8 'sunnies', steel winch bar, custom rock sliders, Steel roof rack, Domin8r 12,000lb winch, 2.5" straight through exhaust, Allisport TM intercooler, Boost Tee, EGR delete, 22' LED bar, GME UHF + GME antenna, high gain fm/am antenna, duel batteries, 2in lift - Lovells springs and Gabriel shocks/struts + tough dog torsion bars, snorkel, catch can, diff breathers, VDO boost, oil pressure & EGT gauges, fusion speakers, more to come...

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by wazza87 View Post
          How much was the 105? Does it effect clearance?
          I bought the tank about 2004. From memory, stock was about $800, and the custom height added about $200. At the time, with the rear springs I had then, the bottom of the tank was about level with the bottom of the rear axle tube. Shorty isn't home at the moment, so I can't see how it sits now. I do know that the tank has copped a hammering over the last 13 years, so it's probably not 120 litres any more.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• tuffpajNT
            • Dec 2014
            • Darwin

i called Brown Davis, they dont make 85ltrs anymore. The 105ltr tank will suit the leaf sprung swb pajs. its about $1100 and 1 week turn around time. Their kits are not as nice as the LRA kits and the 105 ltr fitting instructions are crappy.

Comment

• tuffpajNT
              • Dec 2014
              • Darwin

Got emailed the DB fitting instructions and they are crap in comparison to LRA. Attached them for reference.
              Attached Files

Comment

• tuffpajNT
                • Dec 2014
                • Darwin

This weekend i installed the nifty Apexus fuel gauge and the wiring for the fuel pump and tank sensor. I also attempted the installment of the tank into the car - it does NOT fit! My new exhaust system muffler is too large and there is a bracket that holds the rear brake hose that bracket needs to cut off! So i will get the exhaust shop to put a smaller muffler on and will have to make a new bracket for the brake hose

next weekend attempt number 2

Comment

• tuffpajNT
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Darwin

The tank was installed and operating yesterday!

Comment

• tuffpajNT
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Darwin

The Facet transfer pump is currently bolted directly to the floor pan in front of the factory tank above the diff housing (yes there is clearance for maximum suspension compression). The only problem is the pump when in operation is quite loud. On hot rod forums I've been reading about what those guys do and the solution is double rubber isolation. So i will make a steel 1mm plate with a rubber member between the body and the steel plate and from that bracket between the pump another rubber member - effectively sandwiching the bracket between two rubber isolation strips.

Once the bracket is made I'll post the pictures.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X