• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dion
    Valued Member
    • May 2010
    • Brisbane

Moreton Island

Took the family over to Moreton Island last week.
    Headed over on Sunday, great weather.
    Arrived on the Island and drove the short distance to The Wrecks for morning tea. Sidenote: Police were RBTing everyone as they drove off the barge.

The kids had a good play in the sand.

I played photographer.

After that we headed up to Tangalooma resort using Middle Rd and the bypass road, and checked in. We spent the arvo on the beach in front of the resort.

On Monday morning while the littlest one had his morning snooze, I took my older boy for a heli flight around the island.

The desert:

Looking back down to the resort:

Heading back to the resort:

The Wrecks and the MiCat where we lunched yesterday:

We went and looked at the bird feeding after that.

By then the little one was awake, so we piled into the car and headed north. Headed up the Tangalooma bypass track again, back onto the beach, then onto the Cowan bypass track, then back on the beach to the Bulwer Wrecks.

Then back inland and headed along the bumpyish but good inland roads to North Point.

Walked the short walk to the Honeymoon Bay lookout and had lunch.

Then back to the car, and back along North Point beach area. Awesome beach to drive on!

Then on to the lighthouse, first a look down the east coast beaches of Moreton:

Then to the lighthouse:

Did some whale watching (crappy photo I know):

The back along the road across the top of the island to Bulwer (nappy change pitstop LOL).

Stopped to look at the old WWII observation posts near Cowan:

Then back to the resort for an afternoon play on the beach and dinner.
    Next day again while the little one was sleeping I took the older boy on the quad bike ride. We got split into two groups, one group did the slow beach ride, the other group (which was two teenage boys and us) spent the 45mins on their test track which was a great series of banked loops etc. Oldest boy reckoned it was like a Hot Wheels track :lol:

(Resort photo shop photo).

Littlest boy was awake so took him down to the bird feeding:

Then we had lunch then loaded up and headed to The Desert. We found out you couldn't buy sandboards at Tangalooma, only if you took their paid bus ride. Had forgot to buy one on the MiCat. Lucky when we got there we found a broken one which was perfect for a 6yo 8)

After that, back to the resort for beach time there and a sunset.

Next morning and the wife and oldest boy went for a long beach walk while I stayed and looked after the sleeping little one. When he woke we went for a walk, he wanted the Pelican to come down off the light.

... and a walk around the resort.

Had lunch, then went for a drive on the beach south of Tangalooma. Not very heavily trafficked, and after a few kms it got pretty messy so we turned around and parked up at a big sand dune we passed. The sand dunes near the MiCat are out of bounds for climbing but not these ones, much to the absolute delight of my 6yo.

(The small dot is my oldest boy, but he climbed right up the top later on)

Few starfish around:

And after that, back to the resort for more beach play.

On our last day it was a bit rainy so we just lingered around the resort and played on the beach between showers, before heading back to the MiCat for the trip home in the arvo.

The 4WDing was pretty easy, it was fractionally soft in a few places but nothing major. Inland tracks typically had high centre humps which would make driving a softroader challenging.

Quite a few of the campgrounds were closed due to damage. Scoped most of them out for a future trip with the camper trailer. Wanted to go visit the Fort on the eastern beaches but walking around there and carrying the little critter was going to be a challenge so we left it for next time. 8)
    2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.
  • 4wd26
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

Nice....

should be heading back next month myself

Note that during winter MiCat runs a few specials, including a trailer @ 1/2 price
    ML triton with some accessories
    National E Trek Libary
    Getting Out There

Comment

• Dion
      Valued Member
      • May 2010
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post
      Nice....

should be heading back next month myself

Note that during winter MiCat runs a few specials, including a trailer @ 1/2 price
      Yeah saw that deal - they've got one on at present I think.

I think when the littlest one is a bit older we'll head over with the camper. At present he's just too much of a handful to manage let alone introducing beach/bush camping to the equation
      2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• 4wd26
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

At least you finally made it over

how busy was it in the holidays middle holidays
        ML triton with some accessories
        National E Trek Libary
        Getting Out There

Comment

• Dion
          Valued Member
          • May 2010
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post
          At least you finally made it over

how busy was it in the holidays middle holidays
          Actually pretty quiet. The barge going over on Sunday (first sunday of the school holidays) was about 5/6th full, but I dunno where they all went.

We only passed maybe a dozen cars in all our driving around the island.

It did surprise me how quiet the place was really. Campgrounds were less than 1/2 full in the ones we checked out that were open.

And yeah glad to finally get there, had been meaning to check it out for a while.

If only the barge was cheaper, I reckon we'd go there a heap if you could take car + camper over for around $200-250 return.

Comment

• mmannion
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • Birth place of QLD

Nice pics mate, looks like you had good weather too.
            02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• Dion
              Valued Member
              • May 2010
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by mmannion View Post
              Nice pics mate, looks like you had good weather too.
              Thanks yeah we had great weather, only started drizzling on the day we left.

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010
                • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Dion,
                Great quality photos - you obviously love the hobby. Makes me want to get there!

M&M
                2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Dion
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2010
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                  Dion,
                  Great quality photos - you obviously love the hobby. Makes me want to get there!

M&M
                  Thanks. Yes photography is a hobby. Don't get as much time these days with the little ones but when I do I still enjoy it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X