• Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

New phone and U turn rules.

Don't know when they come into force.

A “problematic” road rule that many Aussie drivers find confusing is set to change, and it will impact how motorists use their phone behind the wheel.
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

Mostly sounds pretty sensible to me but for the new NSW rule requiring a driver to slow to 40km/h when passing an emergency vehicle with its lights flashing. The coppers will love it though, just sit on the side of the road in an 80km/h zone, turn on the lights and radar gun. They'll be reeling them in, until someone does actually slow to 40km/h and causes a 12 car nose to tail pile up.
    Chris

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
      Mostly sounds pretty sensible to me but for the new NSW rule requiring a driver to slow to 40km/h when passing an emergency vehicle with its lights flashing. The coppers will love it though, just sit on the side of the road in an 80km/h zone, turn on the lights and radar gun. They'll be reeling them in, until someone does actually slow to 40km/h and causes a 12 car nose to tail pile up.
      & the fact that someone like myself from QLD, if travelling in NSW, may not have ever heard of such a rule, seems crazy too me.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
        In SA, for years we have had to slow to 25km/h when passing any emergency vehicle with red & blue lights flashing. This can be very dangerous on high speed roads & has caused many accidents or near misses. It was introduced by our previous state government and the police are asking the current government to review it due to the danger sometimes created being worse than the safety it is trying to provide for emergency responders.

I believe the nationwide law should be to slow to half the speed limit for that particular road, as this would provide the desired safety without causing pile ups. It would also be easy to remember, rather than having different limits for different speed zones, as some have suggested.
        I also think the police should think a bit more before pulling someone over just past a corner or crest, positioning their car half way into the traffic lane, activating the beacons & then standing there giving someone a ticket for being 10km/h over the limit which probably wasn't going to cause an accident right there, but their actions are sometimes far more dangerous. I don't understand why they want to put themselves in such a dangerous position. They should follow & find a safer place to pull them over or just mail the ticket.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
          In SA, for years we have had to slow to 25km/h when passing any emergency vehicle with red & blue lights flashing. This can be very dangerous on high speed roads & has caused many accidents or near misses. It was introduced by our previous state government and the police are asking the current government to review it due to the danger sometimes created being worse than the safety it is trying to provide for emergency responders.

I believe the nationwide law should be to slow to half the speed limit for that particular road, as this would provide the desired safety without causing pile ups. It would also be easy to remember, rather than having different limits for different speed zones, as some have suggested.
          I also think the police should think a bit more before pulling someone over just past a corner or crest, positioning their car half way into the traffic lane, activating the beacons & then standing there giving someone a ticket for being 10km/h over the limit which probably wasn't going to cause an accident right there, but their actions are sometimes far more dangerous. I don't understand why they want to put themselves in such a dangerous position. They should follow & find a safer place to pull them over or just mail the ticket.
          Agree such laws should be nation wide & sensibly thought out, if I was in Sth Aussie or NSW as I was recently I would have no clue of these laws & how would I?? Adding further fuel to the comment it isnt safe, I wouldn't even be expecting a 25k per hour car in the area would I?

& on the other matter coppers on roads not excercising common sense should be fined for stupidity agree!
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• tomwithannl
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Maria Coast Tasmania.

This has just been introduced in Tasmania.

To keep our emergency workers safe, from 1 December 2019 a new road rule will apply in Tasmania that will mean motorists must slow to 40km/h when passing a stationary or slow moving emergency or enforcement vehicle with red, blue or magenta (purple) lights flashing or sounding an alarm.

Tom
            1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
            1953 Morris Minor ute
            1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
            2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

I had a very near accident because of that rule. Winding hilly 2 lane road, was glancing over my shoulder to overtake....suddenly everyone was hard on their brakes for a police car that no one has any warning of as we went around a bend on the crest of a hill. I came inches from hitting a car in that instance, and I don't tailgate and would call myself a careful driver. They have thankfully amended the rule to be more logical here, wouldn't surprise me if more accidents are caused by it than it saved

The other rule changes are good to see-finally they are making something simpler and less painful rather than more onerous

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X