• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrianp
    • May 2008
    • Brisbane

3rd Row of Seats - legal to remove?

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be legal to remove the 3rd row of seats. They are foldable anyway, and just take up the space, but I don't know if this wouldn't alter the specified seating and therefore make an illegal modification. My main concern would be the insurance. I know I could talk to them, just wondering if this's already been sorted out before (I am with RACQ, if this does matter).

regards,
    Adrian
    AdrianP
    2014 NW Exceed, 2015 NX GLS
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Aparantly, technically it is not legal to alter the seating capacity of a vehicle without having an engineers certificate. This goes for both reducing and increasing the seating capacity.

But everybody does it (removes seats).

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• mongoose
      • Aug 2007

what model do you have??
      if its an NS they just slide out why would it be illegal to remove them??

cheers
      Adrian
      NW Pajero VR-X
      Currently stock

Comment

• RalphEdward
        • May 2008

Seat Removal

I just talked with a mate, a Certified Engineer, and as the third row seats are not a permanent fitting they can be removed and refitted at will without any concern to the roadworthiness of the vehicle (there's lots more to this discussion so I've given only the Readers Digest version here). Long story short, remove the third row seats whenever you want for whatever you want - just don't carry passengers in the back without the appropriately certified seats in place.

Regards
        Mark
        Black 25th anniversary DiD Auto (SWMBO's choice) HD towbar & lift,tinted widows, chrome talon protectors, awaiting bluetooth fittment & permission to get it dirty from SWMBO (got it dirty, don't like the tyres much).

Comment

• adrianp
          • May 2008
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by RalphEdward View Post
          I just talked with a mate, a Certified Engineer, and as the third row seats are not a permanent fitting they can be removed and refitted at will without any concern to the roadworthiness of the vehicle (there's lots more to this discussion so I've given only the Readers Digest version here). Long story short, remove the third row seats whenever you want for whatever you want - just don't carry passengers in the back without the appropriately certified seats in place.

Regards
          Mark
          Thanks!
          It's a NH, they take up a lot of space and I never use them, just carry around with me.
          AdrianP
          2014 NW Exceed, 2015 NX GLS

Comment

Adrian, I removed the 3rd row about 4 years ago shortly after I bought the vehicle so I could use the underfloor storage space (very handy). I also removed the centre headrest from the 2nd row because I don't need that either and it blocks vision. Since removing those things I've had 2 rego inspections and it passed OK.

Regards,
            shnook.

Comment

• Eastie
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Vic

Have a look here and perhaps Pickle can help re-establish the 4wd Victoria news article link...

A cut from the article is as follows:

"The following comment has been provided to Four Wheel Drive Victoria by Vic Roads.

This issue has been blown out of all proportion. There is no reason seats
              that are designed to be removable cannot be removed. Doing this DOES NOT
              alter the seating CAPACITY of the vehicle. Seating capacity is defined by
              the Australian Design Rules as the maximum number of seating positions for
              which the vehicle is DESIGNED - ie not the number of seats actually fitted
              at any point in time.

By inter-government agreement vehicle standards are common throughout
              Australia. This means that the above advice applies in all states and
              territories."
              NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X