X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benduro
    • Oct 2007

22c/lt premium for diesel over ULP???

Have recently noticed that the price difference between diesel and ulp is on the increase.
    Shell this morning (Geelong, VIC), had reg' ulp for 135.9c/lt with diesel being a whopping 22c/lt dearer @ 157.9c/lt!

WTF
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Originally posted by Benduro View Post
    Have recently noticed that the price difference between diesel and ulp is on the increase.
    Shell this morning (Geelong, VIC), had reg' ulp for 135.9c/lt with diesel being a whopping 22c/lt dearer @ 157.9c/lt!

WTF
    clearly price gouging , since diesel is supposed to be cheaper to refine. The more people jump on the diesel band wagon the more exxy it will become.!
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Diesel market is a lot more stable for whatever reason in comparison with petrol. Its been around the 1.60 market for quite sometime. Saying that it does my head in that diesel is not cheaper than petrol being a byproduct requiring less refinement than petrol, the price of diesel used to be a fair amount cheaper than petrol going back 15 to 20 years ago.
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• schnitzel
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Bendigo

diesel accounts for more than 85%of the fuel company sales, of that 85% 70% is at contracted prices so they dont want a lot of fluctuation as they cannot predict there cash flow if it varies too much. Also demand runs very close to the maximum capacity that can be handled so discounting tends not to happen.

petrol sales however are more volatile and subject to more peaks and troughs in demand and tends to grab the media attention more, also people tend to focus on the unleaded price as an indicator , even if they drive a diesel, and if they see a low price head for it , even if its not the fuel they use ( seems strange but is actually true, like loss leaders in a supemarket, same theory)
        Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Wooly Mammoth
          • Oct 2012
          • Hobart

Over here in Tassie ULP and Diesel seem to be about the same price @ 161.9/Lt for about 6 months now
          '95 NJ GLS LWB 3.0Lt Auto, 3" Body lift, Bocar Bar , 2 x 55W 7" HIDs , PRM 8030 UHF , Snorkel.

Comment

• TheTaipan
            Banned
            • Jan 2009
            • sydney

$1.49 at BP Mulgoa rd Penrith. Has bee as low as $1.46 a few weeks ago.

It's called competition as there is a Coles, a 7 Eleven and the BP no more than 700 metres between the three.

The BP turns over more than 20,000 litres of diesel per week so it's as fresh as a daisy.

Comment

• dolphin
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2008

i can blame the deisel fuel price increase on the deisel powered motor vehicles now produced. years ago deisel fuel was definetly the cheapest of fuels as only the trucks used it but now just about every make of car comes out with a deisel engine if wanted.
              NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                $1.49 at BP Mulgoa rd Penrith. Has bee as low as $1.46 a few weeks ago.

It's called competition as there is a Coles, a 7 Eleven and the BP no more than 700 metres between the three.

The BP turns over more than 20,000 litres of diesel per week so it's as fresh as a daisy.

site i used to run here did 40000l litres plus per day of diesel, although diesel does not deteriorate at anywhere like the rate of the unleaded.

sounds like a lot of diesel but in reality is not when a truck would often take 2000l at a single fill ( it was the truckstop and one of only 2 B double sites in Bendigo).

and yes the increase of diesel powered cars has put pressure on the supply chain with a change in storage capacity at a lot of service stations occuring as they are re tanked, but given you only swap tanks after 30 years it will take awhile.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• dhula
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • South of Perth

I don't think diesel is as simple to refine as it once was, especially to meet all the needs of the new age CR engines and all the rules so we don't poison the fish as much as we used to. I could be wrong tho

That would explain some of the extra price nowadays. That and as said supply -v- demand. Think about how many diesel powered machines run around mine sites worldwide, trucks on the road, trains on the tracks and so forth. All make for a lot of demand, add to that some car makers sell only diesel cars in some models now so demand is going to steadily climb I think.

Personally I've gone back to petrol after many years in a diesel for a number of reasons, price per liter included.
                  My Paj is currently averaging 12.5L/100kms which is what my diesel Prado averaged yet petrol is cheaper to buy for me locally. YMMV of course
                  2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                  2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• dolphin
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008

yes the safest option for all drivers is to only drive petrol powered vehicles as it does look like the price of deisel fuel is only going to get higher and higher over the next years. bring on the petrol
                    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• schnitzel
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • Bendigo

the 3 main users of diesel in Australia in order are

1) industry i.e. non pump sales but includes transport companies with own storage

2) Agriculture , yes the poor old farmers are massive users as a group

3) Mining and resources

the motorist is actually 4th, and the biggest problem is actually the huge increase in demand in China and India, a couple of years ago they were putting as many new vehicles ( mostly diesel powered ) on the road each month as Australia was doing every year. Add to that there growth in requirement for industry being at a similar growth rate and diesel is in short supply worldwide. Virtually all diesel refined worldwide nowadays is ultra low sulphur so that process is not a huge issue, although it did add to the cost a few years ago when they had to upgrade plant to cope but it could be argued that that was a normal replacement of equipment requirement anyway.

Australia is still one of the lowest cost areas as a percentage of income of any country that does not produce their own fuel oil.

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                        I don't think diesel is as simple to refine as it once was, especially to meet all the needs of the new age CR engines and all the rules so we don't poison the fish as much as we used to. I could be wrong tho

That would explain some of the extra price nowadays. That and as said supply -v- demand. Think about how many diesel powered machines run around mine sites worldwide, trucks on the road, trains on the tracks and so forth. All make for a lot of demand, add to that some car makers sell only diesel cars in some models now so demand is going to steadily climb I think.

Personally I've gone back to petrol after many years in a diesel for a number of reasons, price per liter included.
                        My Paj is currently averaging 12.5L/100kms which is what my diesel Prado averaged yet petrol is cheaper to buy for me locally. YMMV of course
                        Christ I love to know how your only doing 12.5L/100kms in a 3.0 NH, I had a NH shortie and would have easily avg around 14 . I currently running around town get a about 11L/100kms in my NS DiD shortie.
                        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• dhula
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • South of Perth

Originally posted by craka View Post
                          Christ I love to know how your only doing 12.5L/100kms in a 3.0 NH, I had a NH shortie and would have easily avg around 14 . I currently running around town get a about 11L/100kms in my NS DiD shortie.
                          but that's what the sums tell me. I use the bowser numbers and what ever the odo tells me so might not be exacto-mondo

Last fill was 12.38L/100kms, best to worst range so far is 11-17.

I drive like a nana most of the time, no mods, tyre pressures are a religious 36, service every 5k kms, use PULP and put in 100mls of 2 stroke oil each fill (so my cost is higher then the numbers might suggest)
                          Last edited by dhula; 16-11-13, 01:13 PM.
                          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Gold Coast

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                            yes the safest option for all drivers is to only drive petrol powered vehicles as it does look like the price of deisel fuel is only going to get higher and higher over the next years. bring on the petrol
                            How the worm turns.
                            99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X