• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twisted32
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

ARB roof rack

Hi guys,
    I am looking at fitting an alloy flat rack to a NW, but ARB do not do a flat alloy rack (I would preffer not to go the pioneer platform route if possible). So I am exploring the possibility of using the ARB mounting legs with a different flat alloy rack.
    So, is there anyone with an ARB rack and mounts on a Gen 3/4 able to take some measurements of the mount to rack attachment points, ie width and length spacing to compare with other flat alloy racks for suitability?
    Thanks in advance.
    MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers
  • Alben
    • Jul 2010
    • Victoria

I will jump up and measure mine later on.

Cheers
    Ben
    2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• Alben
      • Jul 2010
      • Victoria

I have got some measurements. Not 100% as it was a bit hard to measure with the rack sitting on the mouting points.

This sketch shows the approximate distance between the slotted mounting holes. The widths 1080mm, 1090mm and 1100mm are roughly to the outside ends of the slotted holes which are about 100mm long.

The measurements up the left hand side are the from the rearmost mounting hole and in millimeters.

I will try to resize the image when i get on the computer cause i cant seem to do it from the app.

The red line shows roughly where the slotted holes are in the mounting track.

Cheers

Ben
      2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• twisted32
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Thanks Ben, exactly what I was after.
        Now I am waiting to hear back from Ocam about their rack dimensions.
        MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• twisted32
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

Well does not look like the Ocam 3/4 flat rack will work, longitudinal spacings are different (roughly 100m closer than the ARB mounts), and their 2.2m rack has 8 feet, not 6 like the ARB set up.

Oh well, might look into the Eezi-Awn K9 Rak further...

Thanks Alben and MyExceed for your measurements.

Comment

• bullet4x4
            • Jul 2016
            • toowoomba

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
            Well does not look like the Ocam 3/4 flat rack will work, longitudinal spacings are different (roughly 100m closer than the ARB mounts), and their 2.2m rack has 8 feet, not 6 like the ARB set up.

Oh well, might look into the Eezi-Awn K9 Rak further...

Thanks Alben and MyExceed for your measurements.
            Hi how did you go im facing the same problem
            2015 NX 265/65/18 bfg ko2's, TC mod ,radio speed wire mod, redarc BC , ARB CC bullbar ,old school bright as f#*k hellas,GME 4500, 2" king springs/ bilstiens

Comment

• twisted32
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by bullet4x4 View Post
              Hi how did you go im facing the same problem
              No where yet, have had too many other projects on the go...

Comment

• twisted32
                • Jan 2015
                • Adelaide

Well I have bitten the bullet and I am currently mating the ARB rails to a 2.1m Pioneer flat rack. It all looks like it will work and give a nice and low profile.

Anyway, I have a question, can someone with the ARB rails take a photo of the mounting points, and did they retain the factory rubbers underneath? Mine were installed by a body shop when warranty corrosion repairs were done, and they have left them off. Trying to decide if I should pull them off again to install them.

Will post some pics of the rack once it is all done.

Comment

• Twest90
                  • Jan 2016
                  • brisbane

Well I have bitten the bullet and I am currently mating the ARB rails to a 2.1m Pioneer flat rack. It all looks like it will work and give a nice and low profile.

Anyway, I have a question, can someone with the ARB rails take a photo of the mounting points, and did they retain the factory rubbers underneath? Mine were installed by a body shop when warranty corrosion repairs were done, and they have left them off. Trying to decide if I should pull them off again to install them.

Will post some pics of the rack once it is all done.
                  How did you go mate? have you got the rack on the ARB mounts yet? very interested t o see the results!
                  2015 NX GLS Auto Deep Bronze | ARB Deluxe Bar | Supercentre 9" LED Spotlights | TJM snorkel | Boos bash plates | Rhino Pioneer Platform| EGR Block | Maxxis AT980 Tyres | Uniden UH980NB | CTEK D250s | Giant Power 140AH AGM |

Comment

• twisted32
                    • Jan 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Twest90 View Post
                    How did you go mate? have you got the rack on the ARB mounts yet? very interested t o see the results!
                    Yes I did get it all installed, although it was a lot more modification than I initially thought/hoped for. The ARB rails are not high enough to suit the pioneer rack, the cross bars had about 1mm clearance to the roof adjacent to the rear doors, so ended up spacing it up with some 20x40mm alloy RHS.

Not quite as neat as I was hoping for, but it is strong and lower than the factory rails and cross bars were.

Will put up some pics when I have time.

Comment

• Benduro
                      • Oct 2007

So you still have cross bars that can be used without the platform?
                      I'm looking at purchasing a secondhand NX and it comes with the ARB rails but with a Kings() full length roof rack/cage and I'd simply like to go with just roof cross bars. The problem would be in reinstalling the factory roof rails which involves dropping the headlining.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ticky
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2015
                        • Adelaide

Hey Rob,
                        I am interested in your project myself. I like the Pioneer Platform, but I have a height problem. I have a money problem too so there's no urgency here. Id like to take a couple measurements one day if you don't mind.

Steve
                        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• twisted32
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Adelaide

The mating of the ARB rails and Pioneer platform was not as easy as hoped, but I got there in the end. I ended up cutting the rack mounting tabs off the ARB rails, and bolting the platform straight to the top of the ARB rails (allowed me to position it where I wanted it), and also had to space the platform up 20mm (20x40 alloy RHS) to give sufficient clearance to the roof adjacent to the rear doors.
                          Overall it sits lower than the factory rails and cross bars and is solid.
                          If you were to cut the rack mounting tabs off the ARB rails like I ended up doing, I am sure you could fit almost any rack to them.

Ticky- anytime mate, just give me a buzz
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Benduro
                            • Oct 2007

Looks great and might be an option.
                            Also toying with the idea to angle grind the ends of to create an open-ended, trade-style rack

Comment

• ticky
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2015
                              • Adelaide

The mating of the ARB rails and Pioneer platform was not as easy as hoped, but I got there in the end. I ended up cutting the rack mounting tabs off the ARB rails, and bolting the platform straight to the top of the ARB rails (allowed me to position it where I wanted it), and also had to space the platform up 20mm (20x40 alloy RHS) to give sufficient clearance to the roof adjacent to the rear doors.
                              Overall it sits lower than the factory rails and cross bars and is solid.
                              If you were to cut the rack mounting tabs off the ARB rails like I ended up doing, I am sure you could fit almost any rack to them.

Ticky- anytime mate, just give me a buzz
                              Hey Twisted,

That looks great. The RHS dosent look out of place and the caps finish it nicely. I will catch up sometime and take a couple of measurements but Im not in a hurry. I need tires and I just bought a Lockup mate, so funds are a bit scarce.

Do you have a dwg of that bush you wanted?

Steve
                              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X