X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonymOz
    • May 2013
    • Perth

Thanks everyone for all the responses - I'm really pleased with the feedback and it's great to read such positive responses. It's helped to confirm that I'm on the right track so now it's full steam ahead with the project.

I'll keep you all updated on progress and for those of you who offered to test the prototype I'll definitely be in touch in the coming weeks.

Thanks again for all your comments and for taking time out to respond.

Cheers

Tony
    Last edited by tonymOz; 19-10-16, 02:00 PM.
    2011 NT 3.2, ARB bar, UHF, roof bars, dual battery, Lovells / Bilstein 2" lift, 12000lb winch

Comment

• andy_q
      • Jun 2014
      • Sydney

Maybe an option would be to have a wireless alarm that simply alerted to when the normal trailer connection had gone open circuit. This could rely upon the trailer plug connection for power and have an internal battery. When power is lost it would signal back to the tug for rectification. If you got clever it could be wired into the trailer wiring in he tug to make sure all of the signals are correct at the trailer.
      I could see this as an ohs improvement and a real market opportunity.
      It will be a harder sell for most people to go wireless to save the inconvenience of plugging in their trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• andy_q
        • Jun 2014
        • Sydney

Club member launching new wireless trailer/caravan connector

Google US patent us5666103 a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wazza430
          • Jul 2015
          • Port Pirie S.A.

What a great idea. I dont own a caravan or camper trailer but I would use it on my box trailer. It doesnt have electric brajes but it would still be suitable for me. Forgove me if someone has asked before but if for any reason a blinker stops working or tail lights for that matter, would tgere be an alarm of such to inform you?

Good luck with your invention.
          MY15 GLS NX Pajero, ARB Deluxe bar, AE4705 GME Antenna, Uniden 8060S, SPV EGR block, Donaldsonl fuel filter, Front tinted windows, Monroe shocks, King Springs,HPD catch can, 9" dominator driving lights.

Comment

• green troll
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Adelaide

Interesting idea. There may be a market for it but it's not for me. I need an Anderson plug so might as well use my 7 pin as well. Also new vans use ESC via a Anderson or 12pin. Actually most vans are now 12pin. As for a disconnect monitor this is why I have my parkers on. Then in the mirror I can see if I have lost connection. I have never had a issue with poor plugs apart from maybe a farm trailer.....I also wouldn't like my brakes power coming from a trailer battery. Just my two cents.

But I still think the idea could be marketed well.
            Well done for doing all the hard work. Wish you all the best with it.

Comment

• tonymOz
              • May 2013
              • Perth

Originally posted by Wazza430 View Post
              What a great idea. I dont own a caravan or camper trailer but I would use it on my box trailer. It doesnt have electric brajes but it would still be suitable for me. Forgove me if someone has asked before but if for any reason a blinker stops working or tail lights for that matter, would tgere be an alarm of such to inform you?

Good luck with your invention.
              Hi Wazza, yes there will be an alarm to alert you to a lost connection.

Thanks for the feedback.
              2011 NT 3.2, ARB bar, UHF, roof bars, dual battery, Lovells / Bilstein 2" lift, 12000lb winch

Comment

• tonymOz
                • May 2013
                • Perth

Originally posted by green troll View Post
                Interesting idea. There may be a market for it but it's not for me. I need an Anderson plug so might as well use my 7 pin as well. Also new vans use ESC via a Anderson or 12pin. Actually most vans are now 12pin. As for a disconnect monitor this is why I have my parkers on. Then in the mirror I can see if I have lost connection. I have never had a issue with poor plugs apart from maybe a farm trailer.....I also wouldn't like my brakes power coming from a trailer battery. Just my two cents.

But I still think the idea could be marketed well.
                Well done for doing all the hard work. Wish you all the best with it.
                Hi Green Troll,

We'll support any type of plug, 7 pin round and flat or 12 pin.

I did some research on the ESC and Anderson plugs and this is what I found on the AL-KO website

if you plan to use your caravan for serious off-road use –ESC should be installed using a 2 pin/Anderson plug so that it can be disconnected when you head off road then plugged back in when your on the “black top” or maintained dirt and gravel roads. See here http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/cara...ility-control/

So it doesn't use the anderson plug to power the brakes but rather to allow you to switch it off when going off road.

Cheers
                Last edited by tonymOz; 24-10-16, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Quietguy
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by tonymOz View Post
                  Admin - please advise if this is in contravention of any rules

Hi everyone

I am about to launch a new product onto the market and would really appreciate some feedback and comment from fellow Pajero club members.

I have developed an interface to wirelessly connect a tow car and a trailer/caravan, doing away with the need for the wired connection currently in use ie the 7 or 12 pin connector.

I got the idea on a trip a couple of years ago when towing my camper trailer off road - I kept snagging the connection whenever I went over a dune and through a bog hole and eventually it got ripped out and was beyond repair resulting in the loss of brakes and lights. So after a couple of years of R&D I now have a prototype that I'm getting ready for production. But before I jump in with both feet I'd appreciate some honest feedback from the members of this forum.

In a nutshell the device uses wireless technology to connect the vehicle and the trailer/caravan. It consists of a sender unit that plugs into the existing trailer connection on the vehicle and a corresponding unit that plugs into the connector on the trailer. As soon as the units are in range a connection is made and any light signals (indicator, brake, driving) are transmitted across the wireless connection to the trailer. The trailer component converts this signal and activates the corresponding circuit. Brake controllers are supported as well so as soon as the brake controller is activated the signal is transmitted to the trailer and the electric brakes are applied. The unit on the trailer end does require a power source to operate the lights and brakes so it connects to the battery in the camper trailer / caravan.

It is envisaged the device will also include an in vehicle monitor that will provide feedback on the battery status in the trailer/caravan as well as status of the connection. Also wireless this device will be powered from the cigarette lighter socket. The in-vehicle unit could also report on things like the fridge temperature in the trailer, tyre pressure monitor etc. etc. In essence a digital interface capable of transmitting any digital information.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions and I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Is it something you see a need for? Would you purchase one and if so what would be a fair price? What additional functionality would you like to see?

Thanks in advance.

Great idea for box trailers etc, but no good for vanners who need power sent to fridge from the tug, or those that need their breakaway batteries charged from the tow vehicle

David

Comment

• m_and_m
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

My thoughts...for what they're worth.

I think your product has a market, so research that carefully. The target audience is the key, and carefully think about what is the problem is you're really solving...
                    Poor connections, or cable damage.
                    Personally, I get more damage from the Paj dragging its bum on the exit of a creek bed, causing damage to the connectors. Would a plugin wireless adaptor solve this problem?

I've had problems with trailer connections, even with a new van, and yes WD40 was my friend, but would this product solve that problem?

It is a good idea, so run with it.

I also suggest for your first incarnation to keep it simple. Forget about Bluetooth connectivity to smart phones to monitor batteries etc. Determine what it does, and do that well....after that bring out the next version that has the fancy features.

The trailer component should monitor the trailer battery voltage and sound an alarm in the cabin when it is low.

The electric brake controller was also my concern initially. You're intercepting a safety system, so ensure you do a thorough review of applicable ADRs.
                    I think you need to be able to advertise "ADR compliant" for people to trust it.

And the design including the software needs to be systematically tested to ensure it won't inadvertently apply the trailer brakes.
                    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Quietguy
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by tonymOz View Post
                      Hi SG

Either would work - but I'd recommend solar so there's no cables between the vehicle and trailer / caravan. It seems most people are going the solar route now to charge batteries in camper trailers / caravans. It's what I use and works really well. It also means older folk (like myself) no longer need to bend down and fiddle under the bumper to connect the sockets. Just hitch up and go :-)
                      But of course we will still need an Anderson plug setup to power the fridge from 12v while touring. And of course a 7pin or 12 pin to work lights etc

David

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X