• Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by efeinblatt View Post
    Yeah, the trip was fantastic.
    The tree is the Boorara Tree outside of Northcliffe. Took some long back roads to get there, and when I arrived the site was 'closed' and the road blocked with cones. Well, I hadn't come all that way to turn back, and it was lunchtime, so I moved the cones aside and went up the road to the site, which was blissfully peaceful. It was in some disrepair. I hope they restore the place. But it was a magical lunch all alone.
    The circle above the trees is part of an art exhibition interpreting the changing landscape in and around Mt. Franklin National Park. It's above Walpole and the site is named Swarbrick. A beautiful loop walk through the forest.

Mate..you shitcanned people for leaving rubbish and then you blatently drive around a road closed sign after removing cones. YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM..I have driven many hundreds of bush driving to get to a particular community only to find a 200 liter drum in the middle of a road. It means do not pass here. So I don't. I turn around and head 300 klms back home...
    Last edited by Dicko1; 17-01-16, 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Yep as Dicko says above, not a very smart move. the area is currently closed due to bushfire damage. I wouldn't be making a habit of driving past road closed signs. It's not only the fact you may be fined for doing so, it's also voids any insurance you may have and gives our 4wd community in general a bad name.

This doesn't apply particularly to this case, but you will find a lot of road closed signs in WA due to Die-back (Phytophthora) disease and the closures may be periodic depending on track or area conditions. Large fines are applicable.
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• efeinblatt
        • Feb 2015
        • perth

Thanks for the comments Stevemcc181 and Dicko1. Actually, because I came in to the site through some back way there were no 'site closed' signs - I located it through GPS readings. I only saw the signs on the way out when I took another route back The cones were there, yes, and I did move them aside - admonishments from both of you acknowledged, accepted, and taken seriously. I spoke to a ranger about the site subsequently, and it was closed not because of fire damage or die-back, but because people were trying to climb that tree and it was unsafe. They weren't sure what to do about it.
        Last edited by efeinblatt; 17-01-16, 01:42 PM.
        1992 NH 2.5L diesel turbo intercooler, ARB bull bar, Hankook Dynapro AT 31x10.5x15, IPF 900 spotties, home-made bug guard, rola vortex roof rack, 47L Evakool, Thumper

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Thanks for the comments Stevemcc181 and Dicko1. Actually, because I came in to the site through some back way there were no 'site closed' signs - I located it through GPS readings. I only saw the signs on the way out when I took another route back The cones were there, yes, and I did move them aside - admonishments from both of you accepted and taken seriously. I spoke to a ranger about the site subsequently, and it was closed not because of fire damage or die-back, but because people were trying to climb that tree and it was unsafe. They weren't sure what to do about it.

Here in qld people driving around road closed is a big issue. Heavy fines for those caught doing it. I have witnessed tourists, immediately after a cyclone, push a road closed sign to one side and drive through. They did this as I was sitting in my work vehicle waiting for power company to clear the road of fallen power lines so I could repair damaged comm cables. I took off after them , told them to off from the area and not to be so bloody stupid. They took offence and hightailed out of their. They actually thought they could do as they liked.

Hopefully you,ll not do it a second time. 4WD vehicles are not exempt from road closed signs. Idiots on trail bikes are a bigger problem with the road closed paths as well.

cheers
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            Here in qld people driving around road closed is a big issue. Heavy fines for those caught doing it. I have witnessed tourists, immediately after a cyclone, push a road closed sign to one side and drive through. They did this as I was sitting in my work vehicle waiting for power company to clear the road of fallen power lines so I could repair damaged comm cables. I took off after them , told them to off from the area and not to be so bloody stupid. They took offence and hightailed out of their. They actually thought they could do as they liked.
            A few times I've been out 4wding & come across Road closed signs, and had people in the group view them as advisory - a "we don't think you'll make it" warning from the council. Discussions start along the lines of "let's see how far we get - we can always turn around if it gets to difficult". A few times I've had to explain that the road is closed because council (or whoever) don't want people driving on it. What may be fun 4wding for us is doing expensive damage to the road. I've received some dubious looks, but people generally accept it.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Thanks for the comments Stevemcc181 and Dicko1. Actually, because I came in to the site through some back way there were no 'site closed' signs - I located it through GPS readings. I only saw the signs on the way out when I took another route back The cones were there, yes, and I did move them aside - admonishments from both of you acknowledged, accepted, and taken seriously. I spoke to a ranger about the site subsequently, and it was closed not because of fire damage or die-back, but because people were trying to climb that tree and it was unsafe. They weren't sure what to do about it.
              I've had the same occur myself, entered a track from one end, only to find a road closed sign at the other end Not much you can do in that case.

The DPAW website states closed due to fire for both Lanepoole Falls and Boorara tree. https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/site/bo...ne-poole-falls
              Was the tree damaged in the fire?
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
              3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• efeinblatt
                • Feb 2015
                • perth

Spent a night in Denmark (in my swag on a porch) speaking with my friends's brother who had recently completed the Binns Track. Sounded like a daunting voyage. He used to have a Gen 2 Pajero, but couldn't really give me any advice about sand travel. Still smarting from my failure to make it up Yeagarup, I needed to learn what I did wrong.

Moving East, I skipped a lot of places I wanted to visit - Parry's Beach, Shelly's Beach, Torbay Inlet, Perkins Beach and, instead, spent several nights at Normans Beach, which was an OK campsite. (If you're in the area, be sure to check out Betty's Beach and Two Peoples Bay, both of which seem like excellent camping sites.) Cape Riche as well. The best, though, is Waychinicup National Park, which I'll come back to a bit later.

View from Norman's Beach west to Betty's Beach

Looking down at the estuary from the footpath to Normans Beach. One of the sites gives straight on to the estuary (it was filled with multiple cruisers), so you can easily take a morning, afternoon, and evening dip. There are also some short sand tracks off of Homestead Road that lead to the estuary and spaces good for wild camping. Still too gun shy to take one of them. I had a look on foot.

My next door camping neighbor. A very friendly couple with their teenage son who settled in for the week. Along their many other supplies, they brought along an old fridge, but it was this chair that I couldn't get over. (Later in the trip, I saw the exact same chair for sale at a camping supply store. Yikes.)

Not much of a picture, I know, but the story is interesting, and the best part about traveling are the stories.
                The car's owner is an ardent New Zealand fisherman who's lived in Australia many years. He's been camped out at Normans Beach for the past 7 weeks, planning to make a move to Betty's Beach if the guy who's been there, staying in one of the fishing shacks for the past 7 MONTHS, moves on. I asked him where his home was normally, and he pointed to his car. 'I mean', I said, 'when you're not traveling.' He pointed again to his car. 'Well then', I said, 'before the car.' 'Kalgoorlie', he said, 'but when my wife split, I hit the road.' 'How long's that been?' '7 years now. I pick up an odd mining job from time to time, but it's getting more and more difficult. My car's the only home I've got. Let's fish.'
                Last edited by efeinblatt; 17-01-16, 10:27 PM.
                1992 NH 2.5L diesel turbo intercooler, ARB bull bar, Hankook Dynapro AT 31x10.5x15, IPF 900 spotties, home-made bug guard, rola vortex roof rack, 47L Evakool, Thumper

Comment

• efeinblatt
                  • Feb 2015
                  • perth

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                  I've had the same occur myself, entered a track from one end, only to find a road closed sign at the other end Not much you can do in that case.

The DPAW website states closed due to fire for both Lanepoole Falls and Boorara tree. https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/site/bo...ne-poole-falls
                  Was the tree damaged in the fire?
                  Funny, the Ranger didn't mention fire, and I didn't see any indication of it. The site had not been well kept at all. Looked like it's been closed for quite a while. Overgrown parking area, signage worn away, etc. The tree didn't seem to have any obvious fire damage - to my untrained eye at least - but if kids were throwing ropes up there trying to climb up to the ladder, well .... that danger was obvious.

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Your photos are excellent. What camera set up did you use? Too good for a phone one.
                    Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• RUGGA
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2014
                      • Adelaide

You have me hooked man, hurry up, keep typing and posting pics...

Don't answer Dicko, that's just wasting time ....
                      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• efeinblatt
                        • Feb 2015
                        • perth

Your photos are excellent. What camera set up did you use? Too good for a phone one.
                        Actually, it is a cellphone. Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I bought it for the quality of the photos .... iPhone is equally good and so are the Sony phones.

Comment

• efeinblatt
                          • Feb 2015
                          • perth

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
                          You have me hooked man, hurry up, keep typing and posting pics...

Don't answer Dicko, that's just wasting time ....
                          Have to take a pause. Wife and child just returned from the UK. We haven't see each other for 5 weeks.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Actually, it is a cellphone. Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I bought it for the quality of the photos .... iPhone is equally good and so are the Sony phones.
                            Cripes. I might as well flog off my Canon SLR and accessories...
                            cheers
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• caroma
                              • May 2012
                              • WA - Pilbara

Have to take a pause. Wife and child just returned from the UK. We haven't see each other for 5 weeks.
                              Bom chicka wow woooow

Also, that Normans Beach estuary looks amazing!
                              2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• craka
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2009
                                • Newcastle (Newie)

Cripes. I might as well flog off my Canon SLR and accessories...
                                cheers
                                Not quite Dicko but the quality of camera phones for static pictures are quite good now. I have a Xperia2 and it's up to 21Mega pixels. Still use my SLR if I primarily want to take photos.
                                NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X