• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

its not stupidity but a complate lack of knowlwdge about what they are doing.They have no appreciation of the forces involved in a snatch.I bet joe blogs wouldnt think twice and attach a snatch strap to a tow ball let alone a rated shackle or tow hook
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Troy711
      Valued Member
      • May 2013
      • Canberra

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
      its not stupidity but a complate lack of knowlwdge about what they are doing.They have no appreciation of the forces involved in a snatch.
      I'm very new to 4x4ing but from what I've learnt and seen the biggest mistake with snatching is when people seem to think you need a massive run up to achieve success when a lot of the time all you need is a gentle pop to loosen the car. Look at the guys from All4Adventure when they tipped their car on its side, I don't know if they started off small but they had a huge run up, broke a strap and did the same thing again. Some people will see this as gospel and the only way to snatch.

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
        • Apr 2015
        • Jamisontown NSW

Happened not far from me. Will call into a 4WD shop that is closer to the accident. They may well know something.

Comment

• Toddyh
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by Troy711 View Post
          Look at the guys from All4Adventure when they tipped their car on its side, I don't know if they started off small but they had a huge run up, broke a strap and did the same thing again. Some people will see this as gospel and the only way to snatch.
          To be fair to those guys they did try winching first as that was obviously preferable given the mud suction. The winching truck had a brake failure so was unable to hold position while winching. That's when they resorted to snatching. Unfortunately that was a panic situation. Hopefully most people out there take a minute and think about what they are doing before beginning a recovery.
          2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

I'm also a newbe to 4WDing and don't have much gear or much idea.

I have gotten in with a bunch of Local SA blokes from our forum who are showing me the ropes and I am slowly building up my gear & Knowledge by doing 1 dayers with the guys.

I still don't know much but I know a hell of a lot more than I would if I went out on my own or with an equally well misinformed beginner.

Steve
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• conquistador
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2012
              • sth east queensland

Ive witnessed a shackle pull through an integrated recovery point on a tow bar and rocket into a heavy steel bull bar. It left a shackle sized hollow in it. Happened quicker than the blink of an eye. I cant still vividly remember the almost simulateous high pitched metallic noises.

Its one of the reasons why I have a cargo barrier. Event though it would I suspect do no more than slow it down.

No matter the how Thoughts to all those involved.

Comment

• Tuba
                • Feb 2015
                • Qld

When you say integrated recovery point, do you mean the point where you attach chains for trailers etc or the loops for stabilisers? Or something else?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X