• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Betz
    • May 2012
    • 'stralia

Caltex Delo 400 Multifleet

This seems to be a popular oil around the traps so going to give it a go at $90ish delivered for 20L

I got the paj (NM 2.8tdi) 3 years ago and started with Penrite HPR Diesel 15 which I found rattley on start up so quickly went to HPR Diesel 5.

A good oil I thought and as I do changes every 5,000ks it was working well, a few times I went to 6,000 and 7,500ks between changes over the last 2 years and noticed slow and smokey startup, oil reporting at rocker cover, rear pcv and sump area but no oil on the driveway and a bit of consumption.

At these times I found the oil to have sheared badly, either full of fuel or oil viscosity breakdown it was like water coming out so its time to try something else....

After a lot of googling for specs etc it came down to Delo 400 or a Komatsu fleet oil which is likely the same thing lol.

Prepared for this a while back and ran a can of Seafoam through the fuel tank and 100ks from empty put a can of Seafoam in the crank case.

Seafoam is simply a proven yank additive like we can buy at Suercheap or Autoarn, I think they are all mostly Naptha.

I ran LiquMoly Diesel purge through the injectors just before dropping the old Pentrite oil and changed the glow plugs (which looked ok) The oil looked crap but not as bad as it has been in the past (this time it had only done 3,800ks)

New filters all round and the Delo 400 and the old girl is starting and purring nicely. I really believe diesels love oil and viscosity so no real surprises there.

So far so good with 100ks logged, everything as smooth as it has ever been engine wise which is a bonus as it has been increasingly agricultural over time.

Will report further
    2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Originally posted by Betz View Post
    HPR Diesel
    At these times I found the oil to have sheared badly, either full of fuel or oil viscosity breakdown it was like water coming out so its time to try something else....
    I am not surprised. I was using HPR diesel 15 in my 3.2 and It suffered exactly what you have discovered.
    I changed to Mobil Delvac nearly 3 years ago and have not looked back.
    I my opinion, HPR diesel is expensive rubbish....
    Cherrs, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• schnitzel
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Bendigo

Komatsu fleet oil is basically rx super. Delo 400 is very similar. The 4m40 is a very dirty motor and as you have found oil reaches saturation very quickly after 500 k.

Nothing wrong with the delo 400 although I prefer rx super
      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Betz
        • May 2012
        • 'stralia

Guys, this oil is the ducks nuts,

Just changed out after 12,000ks and the old stuff still looking viscous.

Absolutely no doubt to me that fleet spec oils such as the delo are the go for these engines.

Hope this helps some folks, don't believe the marketing crap, just give your ride fleet spec oil and you won't look back
        2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....

Comment

• Poita
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • Adelaide

I use Mobil Delvac MX and am very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
          NW VRX MY2013
          Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X