• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hinsch
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Perth

Active stability control system

I thought I would throw a question out there, I have a 2006 NP, when or do you turn your traction control off, I have spoken with some and there appears to be different ideas. Personally when I go into the 4HLc range I leave the stability control selected "on" some suggest that it should be selected "off" makes it easier on you and the vehicle, I am normally driving in med - soft sand or over small - med rocks, most tracks I use would rate easy to medium.
    Obviously when 4LLc is selected stability is automatically selected off.
    What do you do.
    NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

There are two different systems on your vehicle. One is Active Stability Control which can be turned off by the switch in your centre console. If you turn it off it comes back on automatically over 40 kmh. It turns off automatically in HLLc. Turn the ASC off when you go off-road, particularly in sand where it will hinder your progress. The other system is Traction Control which you can't turn off readily. It works by reducing wheelspin when off road and is a huge benefit so you can really make it work for you. Hope this helps.
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• mynance
      • Jul 2009
      • Hervey Bay Qld

Hi Hinsch

The only way you can turn traction control off is by pulling a fuse, but you will not get far in a paj without it especially in the sand.

Some do this to put thier vehicle on a two wheel drive dyno.

You can turn off the stability control by pressing the ASC switch on the dash, it will reactivate automatically when you exceed 100 kph, I think maybe 120 on the NT. This stops you loosing power in the sand.

Myles
      Last edited by mynance; 06-03-11, 07:45 PM. Reason: spell check
      MY 13 NW DiD VRX, Ultimate Suspensions HD all round with Coil Rite Airbags
      Seachange 595 Elite Off Road Caravan

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Cairns

ASC turns back on at 80kph in the NP.
        It is definately recommended to switch off the ASC when in sand and using 4HLc. If you don't you will quickly realise why. With it still turned on, as the car slips around in the soft sand the ASC sensors will pick this movement up and apply brakes / cut the throttle to try and straighten the car up. This kills your progress in the sand and you will soon find yourself bogged.
        You will first notice it when you put your foot down and the engine gives no response, If you look down at your dash, the ASC light will be flashing.
        Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Onslow
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
          ASC turns back on at 80kph in the NP.
          It is definately recommended to switch off the ASC when in sand and using 4HLc. If you don't you will quickly realise why. With it still turned on, as the car slips around in the soft sand the ASC sensors will pick this movement up and apply brakes / cut the throttle to try and straighten the car up. This kills your progress in the sand and you will soon find yourself bogged.
          You will first notice it when you put your foot down and the engine gives no response, If you look down at your dash, the ASC light will be flashing.
          Dan.
          oops, yes ASC comes back on at 80kph not 40kph.
          NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Bunny
            • Jun 2010
            • Launceston

Hinsch, when going through sand or mud turn the ASC off.
            When on rocks or normal tracks leave on.

Trevor
            2010 NT Pajero Exceed Auto Diesel 3.2 Ironbark

Genuine Tow Bar, Rear Diff Lock, 17"Wheels, Arb Sahara Bar Colour Coded, Dual Battery, Old Man Emu Sports Suspension, ARB on Board Air Compressor, BFG AT Tyres, Long Range 60lt Tank, IPF 900XS Lights, Sandgrabba Mats, T-Max 9000lb Winch, ARB 47lt Fridge, Rhino Alloy Tray, GME TX 3220 UHF, HR Brake Controller, Bushskinz Plates, Airteck Snorkel, Diff Breathers, Airbags.

Comment

• micha3l1985
              • Nov 2010
              • South Australia

What about in mud, i have got bogged before and the traction control is what stops me getting out, i have to sit there grinding the brakes till the pajero beeps because the breaks are hot and kills it then it takes of out the bog like a rocket, traction control is only good as long as traction can be obtained
              2015 Automatic PC Challenger with TJM bullbar and underbody protection

Comment

• psproule
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Googong, NSW

Michael, if you search hard enough there is a mod where you can add a switch to kill the traction control.

As for ASC, I agree that I turn it off in sand as it has a habit of killing the power at the slightest side-slip but otherwise that's it.

Pat
                2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• mojo007
                  • Jun 2012
                  • western australia

I am still getting use to my new 2012 Pajero diesel in particular understanding how the traction control works and the active stability control.The other day I was at the boat ramp which was covered with sea weed. I had my car in low range and the ASC light came on the dash as it suppose to do.When I started to come up the ramp the boat trailer was dragging a massive amount of sea weed so my wheels started to spin and the brake peddle started to pulse a lot and I think because the traction control was working over time most of my wheels were braking and then I lost power to the engine. Has anyone had same problem and what would be the answer other then me not putting my boat in such a bad situation like that. Could that same problem happen on a steep sand dune?
                  NW Platinum 2012. Narva Ultima 225 spotlights with 55w HID globes. ECB Bullbar. Dual battery Red Ark Isolator.

Comment

• conquistador
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • sth east queensland

Turn the asc off and all will be ok.

I've had a few occasions where the tc has been a liability. Like darting out in traffic when its wet the thing can cut power. Why it can't be programmed to understand increased peddle pressure post initial intervention means driver knows best I don't know.

Comment

• Goodsy
                      Who ya gunna call....
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by mojo007 View Post
                      I had my car in low range and the ASC light came on the dash as it suppose to do.When I started to come up the ramp the boat trailer was dragging a massive amount of sea weed so my wheels started to spin and the brake peddle started to pulse a lot
                      How do you know this? You foot would have been on the accelerator
                      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• pauld
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • Melbourne

The ASC off switch also changes the TC in that the TC will only use brakes, not cut engine power.

You can install a switch to cut the coil to the ABS relay whic turns everything off ASC, TC and ABS. But to turn back on you have to flick the switch, then restart car. I have this but haven't used for years after I realised you could change the way the TC works with the ASC switch.

I seemed to find on a recent trip in sand that when struggling up sand hills through lack of momentum that it would actually claw up better in 4H than in 4HLC, the TC appeared more effective.....
                        2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• psproule
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Googong, NSW

Slightly off-topic and I cant remember where I read this but legend has it that in the development stages of the Gen 3 ASC system Japanese engineers were in AU on outback test drives doing calibration of the system with an Australian test driver. The initial calibrations were said to allow much more side slip before intervening however after one vigorous test drive where the driver made the most of the allowed slip and the handling capabilities of the Paj the engineers wound the system back to much more mundane levels.

Pat
                          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Darwiniandude
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2008
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                            The ASC off switch also changes the TC in that the TC will only use brakes, not cut engine power.
                            One of the most useful things I've read on this forum so far, really good to know.

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                            I seemed to find on a recent trip in sand that when struggling up sand hills through lack of momentum that it would actually claw up better in 4H than in 4HLC, the TC appeared more effective.....
                            This is fascinating; that locking the center diff might actually hinder TC performance in certain situations.
                            Adelaide
                            2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Darwiniandude View Post
                              This is fascinating; that locking the center diff might actually hinder TC performance in certain situations.
                              When I was on Fraser I spent a bit of time comparing 4H / 4HLc in rutted sand (i.e. the soft stuff above high tide) I concluded that 4H was more "comfortable" - in 4HLc it seemed to "thrash" from side to side in the ruts, while 4H was happier to ride the rails.

NFI what this has to do with the topic - I simply felt like sharing.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X