• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apollo
    • Dec 2016
    • Cooloola Coast QLD

PC challenger shelf buildup

Looked at commercially available shelves and they were either not suited to needs (80L fridge) or too dear or too heavy or all of the above, so decided to build a set myself. Given it would only be installed for trips/tours, it had to be able to be installed/removed easily. Attached are photos of the near finished unit in place.

Weight is 42kgs including what you see less the 160AH AGM battery, so happy with that. Construction is an aluminium frame with 12mm external ply. I have stood and lumped on it and it is very strong. Slides are either 127kg (draws) or 200kg (fridge) rated. I designed the unit to allow easy access to the existing spare tyre wind down by extending the draws fully out. I have done this a few times and it works well. The securing is via a 400kg rated ratchet strap over the rear to tied down points either side and two (ony had one in place for photo) ratchet straps to the existing front tie down points (that are allowed access through the panel the battery and front of unit sits on). Shouldnt every shift. The upper tie down points are bolted through to the aluminium frame inside so should be strong. There are tie down points on the side of the unit to allow soft bags to be strapped to the top when travelling. The top and interior of the draws have a non slip mat glued in to reduce sliding around. Up front is 20A DC-DC charger to the 160 AH AGM battery that is locked down to a base underneath. This feeds the fridge, a double USB point and a voltmeter via a fuse box. The supply to the DC Charger is via a VSR in the engine bay running to twin Anderson plugs on leads coming out of the jack well. One is used for this shelving unit and the second is feed out the tailgate to the camper trailer that is set up with twin deep cycle batteries and another DC-DC charger in the camper. When not in use, the Anderson cables roll up and are tucked away in the jack well out of sight.

The jack well is fully accessible.

Cost $650 including electronics and 160AH AGM battery.

It aint pretty, not quiet finished, but good enough to go on a 3000km shake down trip next week.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Apollo; 13-09-17, 10:09 AM.

Matched content

Collapse
Working...
X