• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Being carefull on forums

So sometimes it just get's taken out of our hands.
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • ausGeoff
    • Nov 2015
    • Australia

I'd guess it'll depend on Whirlpool's response in the Federal court. Simon's been down this path before and won—see the 2Clix Software case from 2007.

Andrew Doolan's claims could also be dismissed outright by ther court as vexatious litigation depending on his evidence—and Simon's defence. I'm also guessing Doolan ain't gonna get any member details. Let's hope not anyway, as it could further set unwanted privacy precedents.
    2006 Falcon XR8 BOSS 260 ute.
    1999 NL Pajero GLS, LWB, 3.5 V6, auto, stock std.
    [SOLD]

Comment

• Wazzap
      • Sep 2015
      • NSW

Originally posted by ausGeoff View Post
      I'd guess it'll depend on Whirlpool's response in the Federal court. Simon's been down this path before and won—see the 2Clix Software case from 2007.

Andrew Doolan's claims could also be dismissed outright by ther court as vexatious litigation depending on his evidence—and Simon's defence. I'm also guessing Doolan ain't gonna get any member details. Let's hope not anyway, as it could further set unwanted privacy precedents.
      Don't know what they're likely to get out of it - you could use a generic email address so it's not really tied into your real name, and the IP address will still need a lot of work to match to a user (if it's even possible - until the recent data retention laws most ISPs would only hold session details for a short time, and they'd have to go through court to get the ISP to give up this detail too).

The more concerning thing is the costs behind fighting it - I know of another aussie forum that closed down for a long time due to a company taking them to court for slander (as someone had posted a vendor verdict on the site, so the company that was slandered sued the site rather than the user), and Whirlpools defense from 2clix was quite expensive too (and even if you win and are awarded costs, you still have to bankroll the defense in the mean time, and put everything on winning).

Comment

• 11T.Co
        • Oct 2013
        • Brisbane

If you're interested to read a bit more on the subject there's a statement about this in the Whirlpool thread that started it all.

Comment

• David Anderson
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Albury

IMHO, the fact that you can be anonymous on a forum, and on-line in general, is not such a great thing.
          It's too easy for people to be nasty to each other knowing they do so anonymously and without fear of consequence.
          09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Poita
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • Adelaide

Be honest in your story if you have had a bad experience with a particular company and I don't see what you have to be worried about.
            NW VRX MY2013
            Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• barney351
              • Nov 2011
              • Sth East,Vic

Originally posted by Poita View Post
              Be honest in your story if you have had a bad experience with a particular company and I don't see what you have to be worried about.
              True words Poita,
              Be 100% honest when when you have had a bad experience, and if these company's are also 100% honest, and are prepared to stand by their products, there should not be a reason for these issues to get out of hand.

Comment

• Stoneman
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2012
                • Melbourne

It's all scare tactics these days

Don't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear

Always think what has that person got to gain with what he's saying and why is he saying it in the first place

I haven't even clicked the link!

If your honest and tell the truth there is not a single thing anyone can do except talk crap!
                NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X