• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Pre-cleaner adaptor for Airtec Snorkel

About 5 years ago I bought a Donaldson Top Spin pre-cleaner for the snorkel on my Shorty.

When I bought my NT, it came with an Airtec snorkel that wouldn't take the Donaldson. There are more details here, but long story short, I made an adaptor to make it fit.

Update: following development of an adaptor for an FJ Cruiser I re-modelled the Pajero adaptor too.

After a recent 4wd trip to the West Coast, where the adaptor survived 7 days of travelling over a variety of tracks of varying conditions, I've concluded it worked.

Update:

This thread has grown a bit over time, so some of the more significant information has been added to this post.

Pricing updated May 2022.

Pricing:
    $40 plus delivery for the adaptor.
    $220 plus delivery for the Donaldson Top Spin.
    Both together, $260 delivered. That may not seem like much of a discount, but I'm not making a lot of money on these either.

Fuel Consumption:
    Use of the Top Spin is recommended for off-road / dusty conditions only. As described later in this thread, the Top Spin does increase fuel consumption at highway speeds - about 1 litre/100km at 100km/h. See here for a little more information.

Edit: a year or so later, I crossed the Simpson Desert with twisted32 - twice. I had my Top Spin on, and my NT used about 3 litres more across the desert than his NW - roughly 3% more in off-road conditions.

Noise:
    The Top Spin also makes significant noise when spinning at high engine loads / speeds. This is definitely a trade-off if you're travelling with the windows down.

For a brief discussion of Top Spin vs Full View pre-cleaners, see here.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

What would one of these cost mate?
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

What do people think they're worth?

I reckon I'd be happy to do them for $50 - does that sound reasonable? Of course, that's for the adaptor only - not the Donaldson too.

Edit:
      See the first post for latest pricing info.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• grhyso
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Perth

I don't know anything about cost of 3d printing but I'll have a think about it and look into the donaldson heads.
        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• twisted32
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

You might need to run that pre cleaner all the time after seeing your filter today😉
          MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
            You might need to run that pre cleaner all the time after seeing your filter today😉
            Damn those bugs were nasty - they sounded like rain hitting the windscreen.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

I did a little searching for the Donaldson Top Spin I used, and discovered they aren't easy to find in Australia - so I contacted Donaldson direct.

Long story short, Hitachi are major Donaldson distributors, of the entire Donaldson range, and the Adelaide rep tells me they normally have some in stock - so I guess Hitachi in other states would also.

Additionally, they're happy to set me up as a re-seller, in which case I might be able to do slightly better than list price - if there's any interest. He wasn't 100% sure of list price, but thinks it's around the $100 mark, which is comparable with pricing I've seen for buying them out of the US - before freight.

Should I continue to chase this up?

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

I,d be interested. Was only looking at a K&N sock ready for next years Cape trip. I have an AIRTEK on the NW. Would prefer to buy filter and adaptor in one hit from you.
                cheers

Read the bit about 3d printing....world is going crazy!!! Good stuff...
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Scouter1
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • Sydney NSW

Please put me down for one - got a Simpson trip coming up next year and have seen a few stories of dust on the clean side of air filters I see a lot of outback vehicles running pre-cleaners, they seem like good insurance.

Cheers,
                  Stephen
                  2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• spiderpig
                    • Jan 2008

On a side note NJ, what side steps are they on your NT?

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

BushSkinz.

Same as when you asked last time.

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
                      What brand side steps are they? Guessing a fair bit more solid than the factory ones?

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Well? Whats the grey matter contemplating about manufacturing a few?

cheers
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• spiderpig
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          BushSkinz.

Same as when you asked last time.

Oh yeah so you have, whoops, checked a while ago and you hadn't replied to your thread, thought you may be ignoring it being a little tied up with your NJ 3.2 build

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                            Well? Whats the grey matter contemplating about manufacturing a few?

cheers
                            Happy to manufacture a few, and after checking the cost of the material again, I'd be happy to manufacture & sell the adaptors for $40 each, including GST, excluding freight - I currently don't know what freight would cost.

The Top Spin was another story. The guesstimated list price I was given for the Top Spin was quite optimistic - the official list price was higher, and all pricing information is now in the first post.

So, given that the Top Spin pricing is higher than I previously indicated, are people still interested?
                            Last edited by nj swb; 02-06-22, 03:06 PM.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Are these the same as a top spin? 170 vs 320 cfm
                              Last edited by Dicko1; 18-11-16, 12:42 PM.
                              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X