• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aspey
    • Dec 2015
    • Great Southern Land

Brake install question

Hi all,
    I've just replaced my rotor and pads for the rear left and realized I hadn't removed the main caliper bolts. I just undid the 14mm caliper slide pin bolts and fastened the caliper with a strap, then replaced the rotor and pads then slid the caliper back in place. Have I missed something or is there no reason to take out the 17mm Caliper bolts?
    NP VRX DID
  • fieldmouse
    • Mar 2009
    • Newee Creek

Originally posted by Aspey View Post
    Hi all,
    I've just replaced my rotor and pads for the rear left and realized I hadn't removed the main caliper bolts. I just undid the 14mm caliper slide pin bolts and fastened the caliper with a strap, then replaced the rotor and pads then slid the caliper back in place. Have I missed something or is there no reason to take out the 17mm Caliper bolts?
    I did my rear left rotor and both side rear pads last week, i just undid the 14mm bolts, lifted the claiper off and secured it, the only other thing I touched was the bleed screw when I pushed the piston back in. worked a charm since doing it.

Comment

• Aspey
      • Dec 2015
      • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by fieldmouse View Post
      I did my rear left rotor and both side rear pads last week, i just undid the 14mm bolts, lifted the claiper off and secured it, the only other thing I touched was the bleed screw when I pushed the piston back in. worked a charm since doing it.
      Nice work fieldmouse.
      NP VRX DID

Comment

• Aspey
        • Dec 2015
        • Great Southern Land

Shoud the small metal clip that attaches to the inside rear Pad be located at the top or bottom of the Pad?
        I believe this metal clip is for the wear indicator that makes a noise if the pad wears too much.
        I'm using Bendix 4WD Pads.
        Thanks
        NP VRX DID

Comment

• Aspey
          • Dec 2015
          • Great Southern Land

Rear Rotors and Pads all done. Drives fine, but I probably have to adjust the handbrake now.
          The rear wheels and brakes feel hotter to touch than the fronts, I don't know if this is normal or because the rear brakes have just been replaced?
          Also are the brake pads supposed to touch/rest on the rotor when stationary? Was looking at them and it looks like they touch.
          NP VRX DID

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

The pads are just pushed out by the rotor, so for them to touch is normal

Comment

• Aspey
              • Dec 2015
              • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
              Yeah though as much, cheers disco stu.
              NP VRX DID

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • South Africa, East London

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                Its actually an effect of the seal that retracts them by a fraction when the pedal is released.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
                1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

There you go hey. Mustn't be by much, as the pads still drag until I've spun the rotors a turn or 2

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X