• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Automate question

I bought one but have yet to install it. Is it possible to install it in such a way that if I remove the OBDII plug my transmission goes back to standard? Reason is my NX is new and still a way to go before first service. I do not want to show that I have a mod during servicing so the intention is to remove the OBDII plus and tuck it somewhere since servicing will use OBDII for diagnostic. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • ant_schomacker
    • Feb 2017
    • Coen (Cape York)

Have a read through the manual. I’ve not long installed mine and I’m pretty sure that once you unplug it from the OBD port everything works as per factory standard.

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Hi dreamerman,
      auto-mate has been designed to return to factory operation when power is removed by unplugging the OBD2 connector. Internally there are relays that, when power is removed, just connect the factory wires back together to form the circuit.

If the control unit is removed, though, you need to install the link plugs that are provided to reconnect the circuit (to do what the relays were doing).

So, yes, just unplug and put the OBD2 cable in the transmission tunnel. The other think you can do is remove the LED/switch. Just peel back the rubber door trim, wind LED/switch cable into a coil, and locate under the steering column. This take less than a minute.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
        Hi dreamerman,

auto-mate has been designed to return to factory operation when power is removed by unplugging the OBD2 connector. Internally there are relays that, when power is removed, just connect the factory wires back together to form the circuit.

If the control unit is removed, though, you need to install the link plugs that are provided to reconnect the circuit (to do what the relays were doing).

So, yes, just unplug and put the OBD2 cable in the transmission tunnel. The other think you can do is remove the LED/switch. Just peel back the rubber door trim, wind LED/switch cable into a coil, and locate under the steering column. This take less than a minute.

Hey mate does this work the same for the Lock Up Mate? Eg if you somehow accidentally kick out the obd plug or something like that. A/T operation would just revert to normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• dreamerman
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2009
          • Sydney

Hi
          Thanks!!!
          03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
            Hey mate does this work the same for the Lock Up Mate? Eg if you somehow accidentally kick out the obd plug or something like that. A/T operation would just revert to normal?
            Yes, lockup-mate is the same.
            Been designed so if you ever suspect the unit has a fault it will revert to factory operation by just removing OBD2 plug.
            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• dreamerman
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Sydney

will revert to factory operation by just removing OBD2 plug.
              GENIUS!!

Comment

• Paj11
                • Jun 2017
                • Sydney

Is automate interaction free, just set and forget when in drive, I am the type of person that just likes to leave things alone, let it do it’s thing.
                2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Mundy55
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
                  Is automate interaction free, just set and forget when in drive, I am the type of person that just likes to leave things alone, let it do it’s thing.
                  Read through this thread. It has some possibly extraneous info on torque converter operation but a lot on the action of the Auto-mate.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Yes, you can just turn it on or off at the switch as you like. Some have it off around town and on when out on the highway, particularly when towing, while others leave it on all the time and let it do it's thing. No driver input is required.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Paj11
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                      Read through this thread. It has some possibly extraneous info on torque converter operation but a lot on the action of the Auto-mate.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=66739
                      Mundy, you taking the piss, LOL. I stopped at Page 8, too much for me, what I did learn is there a lot of intellectuals on this forum, it was for interesting reading though, but I need lamen term discussion, but what I have determined at least for myself is that unless I do a lot of towing, which I don’t at the moment but will eventually do then it’s best to keep the $700 in my pocket. Even though the kit does have everyday driving benefits you can also get those same benefits from savvy driving, but as I do have a spare $700 laying around I am still keen on the kit, boys and their toys right, I have the tune, iDrive on order, why not a lock up kit?, then next year perhaps an Eaton Diff Locker.
                      Last edited by Paj11; 09-06-20, 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
                      2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Mundy55
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Gold Coast

Mundy, you taking the piss, LOL. I stopped at Page 8, too much for me, what I did learn is there a lot of intellectuals on this forum, it was for interesting reading though, but I need lamen term discussion, but what I have determined at least for myself is that unless I do a lot of towing, which I don’t at the moment but will eventually do then it’s best to keep the $700 in my pocket. Even though the kit does have everyday driving benefits you can also get those same benefits from savvy driving, but as I do have a spare $700 laying around I am still keen on the kit, boys and their toys right, I have the tune, iDrive on order, why not a lock up kit?, then next year perhaps an Eaton Diff Locker.
                        Well, yes, it did get a little technically heavy.

Whether or not to get the Automate depends on why you are buying it and how you drive, being either primarily for fuel economy or transmission temp reduction. My experience in local, stop start driving, is that it makes little or no difference to fuel economy (perhaps even a little worse) and is slightly less comfortable due to either or both not getting into a higher gear as early and due to transmission vibration in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range. There's a lot more gear changing, too. However there is a marked but not huge decrease in transmission temp, but again the magnitude of the reduction depends on your local topography, how often you stop and start, and what speed you get up to.

Denmonkey, in his videos, feels the car is more responsive and likes the automate for the feel. I don't find this myself.

The biggest fuel economy difference and transmission temp reduction occurs on the open road especially if towing and on hills. Even if not towing the difference is great.

If you are not towing or not doing much open road stuff, then the fuel economy justification is, to me, arguable. For example, if you only do a third of your driving open road per year, lets say 7,000km, and get a 2L/100km reduction there, you'll save 140L per year or about $170 per year on current prices. So on that basis the break even is about 4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Automate as I do a relatively high amount of open road driving and towing a camper. For me its about protecting the transmission by keeping transmission oil temps significantly below 80deg instead of being 100deg or more.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                          Well, yes, it did get a little technically heavy.

Whether or not to get the Automate depends on why you are buying it and how you drive, being either primarily for fuel economy or transmission temp reduction. My experience in local, stop start driving, is that it makes little or no difference to fuel economy (perhaps even a little worse) and is slightly less comfortable due to either or both not getting into a higher gear as early and due to transmission vibration in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range. There's a lot more gear changing, too. However there is a marked but not huge decrease in transmission temp, but again the magnitude of the reduction depends on your local topography, how often you stop and start, and what speed you get up to.

This is so true. When I see people post about getting 9 lts per 100 klms I know that they dont live in a hilly environment. Same as towing with the auto mate. I can leave mine in 5th gear whilst towing 1800kg with no problems, on the Bruce Hwy....Drive up to Cooktown and its a different story.

Denmonkey, in his videos, feels the car is more responsive and likes the automate for the feel. I don't find this myself.

I found the same. The car was a lot more responsive and felt a lot better to drive. Same for my mate who got the kit after driving my car. His wife said she noticed the difference in the cars driving almost straight away as she uses the NS daily.

The biggest fuel economy difference and transmission temp reduction occurs on the open road especially if towing and on hills. Even if not towing the difference is great.

If you are not towing or not doing much open road stuff, then the fuel economy justification is, to me, arguable. For example, if you only do a third of your driving open road per year, lets say 7,000km, and get a 2L/100km reduction there, you'll save 140L per year or about $170 per year on current prices. So on that basis the break even is about 4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Automate as I do a relatively high amount of open road driving and towing a camper. For me its about protecting the transmission by keeping transmission oil temps significantly below 80deg instead of being 100deg or more.

Fuel saving is a byproduct for me. Protecting the tranny was my reason for buying the kit as well..

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• m_and_m
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010

Even though the kit does have everyday driving benefits you can also get those same benefits from savvy driving
                            Hi Paj11,
                            You can't when driving below 80-90 kph. I was a savvy driver, monitored my trans temps, and knew about towing in 4th to ensure the torque converter locked up.
                            However, I hit numerous driving situations where you just couldn't lock the torque converter and maintain low temps. For example, climbing up to Hotham on the asphalt, or climbing Vic HC hills in low range. Any windy uphill and the temps are high (even when not towing), but particularly when towing as the car is working much harder than normal.

After just 50,000km my transmission oil was burnt (recommended service is 190,000km). All this lead to the development of lockup-mate, then auto-mate, as I had a real problem I couldn't solve 'as a savvy driver'.
                            Unless you monitor your trans oil temps you don't even know how hot it's getting. The warning lamp is set to 147degC, after which the oil is done for, and the trans impacted.

As Dicko said, transmission protection was the #1 factor, with fuel savings being a really nice benefit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X