• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tinks
    • Jan 2009
    • Sth East Melbourne

Question about portable fridges

I am looking at getting a portable fridge, now where we normally go camping there is no power and no generators. In this situation a fridge with gas option would probably be good? But I have heard people saying they take a level to ensure fridge is level, are they that temperamental?? If you have one that runs on 12v they obviously cant be on all the time, how long do they stay cold when no power is going to them? I do not have a dual battery set up in my 4wd either. Any help on this subject would be great as I would like to purchase one fairly soon.
    2005 NP V6 Exceed, 2"lift, BFG AT's, uniden uhf, 3 way fridge, semi offroad camper, proficiency course and proficiency plus course, plus wish list
  • CeeJay
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Samford, QLD

Tinks, if you're not driving every day from the campsite (i.e. re-charging your battery), depending on the size and efficiency of the fridge you should get 20 - 40 hrs use out of your crank battery without running it flat. You should use a voltage monitoring breaker so that once the battery has dropped to a certain level it will cut power to the fridge but still leave you enough juice to crank the starter motor.

My experience of gas fridges is that they are not very good. A friend bought one, it didn't keep very cool, and sucked the gas up. He only used it twice before he sold it and bought an electric one.

The other alternative is to buy a second deep cycle battery but not fit a dual battery system in the car. Charge the battery at home off the mains, and once you get to the campsite disconnect the fridge from the car power, and connect up your fresh battery. You should get 2-4 days use of the fridge if you are smart (ie not opening it every 5 mins), and you aren't worrying about your cranking battery. When you can afford a dual battery installation you can then fit your second battery in the car permanently.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• Wrex
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth

Hey tinks I was in your position but after talking to several people they steered me away from the 3/way gas option due to the fact they will not get as cold as a 240/12v if using it as a freezer. My Waeco catalogue stated a 3 way cooled up to -35 below ambient temperature where as the 2way will cool up to -50.

So I bought one of these http://http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page146.html It is a dual battery kit no more to spend other than a battery. I purchased a 100a/hr
      AGM battery. I went this route so I could leave my battery with the fridge at our camper and wasn't tied to the car like most dual battery kits.
      I also purchased a 2nd wiring loom from my starting battery to the Flyer and wired it into our 2nd car a 2WD so the fridge goes with whatever car.
      $750 including battery and 2nd wiring loom.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • doncaster east vic

tinks
        we had one of these
        We offer smart and reliable products for people who enjoy outdoor activities enabled by a car, recreational vehicle, or boat - Dometic Outdoor AU.

it would have kept the fridge going for 30 odd hrs but someone decided they wanted it more than i did so i only used it the once

these have a built in battery
        We offer smart and reliable products for people who enjoy outdoor activities enabled by a car, recreational vehicle, or boat - Dometic Outdoor AU.

no idea how long they last though
        Back from the Dark side
        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• tinks
          • Jan 2009
          • Sth East Melbourne

Thanks guys for the useful information, I think perhaps I will go with the non gas one. I will look at the links you sent me. I think i may have already had a quick peak in store at the one with the battery already in the fridge unit and did see some "battery packs" there.
          2005 NP V6 Exceed, 2"lift, BFG AT's, uniden uhf, 3 way fridge, semi offroad camper, proficiency course and proficiency plus course, plus wish list

Comment

• Rugrat
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by tinks View Post
            Thanks guys for the useful information, I think perhaps I will go with the non gas one. I will look at the links you sent me. I think i may have already had a quick peak in store at the one with the battery already in the fridge unit and did see some "battery packs" there.
            Tinks - before purchase consider a dual battery setup for the Paj. There are other uses for this but not sure if you can get an easy setup for your model. Most of the time i find the fridge is in the car when camping - because we want cold drinks / food when off fishing, touring, beaching etc so consider a dual battery and a fridge in the car setup.

Personally i prefer Engel over Waeco (its like holdens and fords) They appear sturdier and given the treatment mine has taken (including a rollover) it keeps ticking - so my camper fridge is an Engel. The main thing is to get the eternal thermal cover - surprising how much this does assist. I have one of the new Engel http://www.engeland.com.au/productcl...itemnid=256264 I got this cheaper from shown company - includig shipping than i could find one in Vic. Its fantastic but lower price means there is some compromise
            "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

• Brownie
              • Nov 2008
              • Brisbane

Tinks,
              Gas fridges are typically called 3 way fridges because they run on gas, 240 volts and 12 volts. I've got one and its great on gas (it does need levelling) and 240 volts, but hopeless on 12 volts. It is perfect for a long camp stay. You setup the fridge in a shady, protected area from the wind, and a 3kg gas bottle will run it for a week. A negative with this style of fridge is if you go out for day trip, your nice cold fridge is back at camp, and not in the car.

The 12volt fridges work great on 12 volts, I also have one of these. Its great for touring - moving every night where batteries can be recharged from the cars alternator. Lunch is always with you - never back at camp. Lots of power options available from dual battery systems, solar cells, additional batteries, and generators.

If your just going away for a weekend (overnight) then a good quality esky is all you need. Freeze a number of 1 litre juice containers (the Golden Circle variety are excellent) and they double as a freezer block and a nice cold drink on the second day. No ice required. The esky is light, easy to pack, can take it with you on day trips, and cheap.

So, the real question is - How do you plan to use the 'fridge', and the answer to that question will point you in the direction of what stye of fridge will be best for you.

Greg
              Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
              Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• Rugrat
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
                Tinks,
                How do you plan to use the 'fridge', and the answer to that question will point you in the direction of what stye of fridge will be best for you.

Greg

Horses for courses
                "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

• tinks
                  • Jan 2009
                  • Sth East Melbourne

Thanks again everyone for more tips its been great. Brownie I already use an eski, hence why i am looking at fridges, as when we go up the murray we are normally there for a week or two not just on weekend trips. I also want to start going other places where I am unfamiliar with what is around e.g shops etc. The eski has served well but town is not that far away so restocking with ice is not that bad, would like something that lasts a little longer than the ice does. The bottle idea is great i have done that a few times getting from home to our camping spot no melted ice all over the place getting food wet lol. I will definately shop around and find something that suits, will look into the dual battery idea too for the car. THanks again everyone

Comment

• marcthelegend
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2008
                    • Gosnells, WA

I bought one of the CF-32UP from my local camping store for $899. gave it a charge and took it camping within a few days, with a full charge i got roughly 15 hours out of it, and it still had 1 bar battery life. its a little small inside the unit, and its bloody heavy! but cools extremely well and not having to worry about batteries and cabels etc when moving it around is really nice when getting away for a while.

Marc
                    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
                    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• tinks
                      • Jan 2009
                      • Sth East Melbourne

Marc, it stayed cold for 15hrs with no power to the fridge is that what you are saying? If so thats pretty good I would think

Comment

• marcthelegend
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2008
                        • Gosnells, WA

yeah thats when its unplugged from all power source and just running on the small internal battery, takes only about 3 - 5 hours to charge from completely dead to full using the huge power pack thingo they supply with the fridge.

marc
                        05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:

Comment

• NS_Exceed
                          • Feb 2009

Mate get a 3-way fridge/freezer.

My camping experience is alot like yours. As in i spend more time camping, then driving. I've got one and it works fine. Last trip was for a week when it was high 30s in the day and it worked effortlessly on gas. Kept the freezer frozen and the fridge cool.

Just make sure you plug it into 240v at least a day before you leave, because they are rubbish in 12v. On gas they kick arse.

Comment

• marcthelegend
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • Gosnells, WA

Originally posted by NS_Exceed View Post

My camping experience is alot like yours. As in i spend more time camping, then driving. I've got one and it works fine. Last trip was for a week when it was high 30s in the day and it worked effortlessly on gas. Kept the freezer frozen and the fridge cool.

Just make sure you plug it into 240v at least a day before you leave, because they are rubbish in 12v. On gas they kick arse.

Where did you get your 3-way fridge from, i got one from supercheap auto (was a waeco one) and have taken it camping and on a warm/hot day it didnt get over 12 degrees, not to good if you wanna keep meat cold, however they are very efficient on gas, mine lasted 3 days on a near empty cylinder (must have had around 4% gas left).

Marc

To-do:

Comment

• Wambat
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NS_Exceed View Post

I?ll second that .... I was surf fishing and camping on the beach for 3 days with a Chescold running on gas. I had to keep taking the beer out to stop it getting frozen, but as I was putting fish fillets in, they would be frozen in about 6 hours. And that was 36 degree days in the blazing sun!

And on 240v, you can use it at home as a fridge for a party and stick beer in it.

But if you are doing a lot of driving .. yeh .. go for the 12 volters.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X