• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • black matuka
    • Oct 2010
    • Sydney

Help needed, Rear door wont open

My rear door is refusing to open. I can feel resistance when I pull the handle up, but the door wont open. Tried locking and unlocking with key and remote but made no difference. Does anyone know what I can do - can I access the locking mechanism from inside? Tried but couldn't see how to remove the inside trim with the door closed.
  • brispaj
    • Nov 2012
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by black matuka View Post
    My rear door is refusing to open. I can feel resistance when I pull the handle up, but the door wont open. Tried locking and unlocking with key and remote but made no difference. Does anyone know what I can do - can I access the locking mechanism from inside? Tried but couldn't see how to remove the inside trim with the door closed.

I've just been looking for a thread i saw about this a while back. I was away camping over the weekend and this happened to me.

Yes you can get to it from the inside. What i did(prob be an easier way) was unscrew the grab handle on the rear door, then there are 2 screws in behind the netted section. There is also t trim clips that hold the little pocket on the back door aswel, these all have to come off.

Then as rough as it sounds, try to get your fingers under the grey trim on the top half of the door and gently "reef" it off.

Once this is loose all the way around, you need to do exactly the same to the bottom half.

Once the trim is off you need to remove the plastic film and then you can access the door mech. I gave the mech rods a bit of a wiggle and BAM the door opened.

I gave it a bit of a squirt with WD40 (prob should have used a dry lube but in middle of nowhere it all I had), and opened and shut the door a few times and soo far so god.

Hope this helps you a bit

Lachie

Comment

• green monster
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Adelaide

Try a good spray of wd40 up the lock on the rear door and under the handle outside , best to use the little hose attachment that comes with the can, it should work free,give it a good soak,
      Then when you get it open remove the trim and clean all the mechanism, it gets full of dirt and dust which causes the failure ,
      Good luck.
      NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• Bundyk
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • North Nowra

Also use the hose and give the whole area around the handle a good flush with water. Go in at all different angles, up into the handle and around the outer edges of the outer trim. I put the hose in front of the rego plate, pointed it up and gave it a good rinse. Try this before climbing through and pulling the door apart from the inside, its a little arkward with the door shut. Once open, do as green monster suggested.
        Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• black matuka
          • Oct 2010
          • Sydney

Thanks for your suggestions, have been away and not had a chance to try them out, will get onto it soon.

Comment

• GC007
            • Nov 2013
            • with me mum

Originally posted by brispaj View Post
            I've just been looking for a thread i saw about this a while back. I was away camping over the weekend and this happened to me.

Yes you can get to it from the inside. What i did(prob be an easier way) was unscrew the grab handle on the rear door, then there are 2 screws in behind the netted section. There is also t trim clips that hold the little pocket on the back door aswel, these all have to come off.

Then as rough as it sounds, try to get your fingers under the grey trim on the top half of the door and gently "reef" it off.

Once this is loose all the way around, you need to do exactly the same to the bottom half.

Once the trim is off you need to remove the plastic film and then you can access the door mech. I gave the mech rods a bit of a wiggle and BAM the door opened.

I gave it a bit of a squirt with WD40 (prob should have used a dry lube but in middle of nowhere it all I had), and opened and shut the door a few times and soo far so god.

Hope this helps you a bit

Lachie
            Woke up this morning and found my rear door handle flapping with the wind, did a forum search here and found your great post, had it sorted in 5 minutes, return spring had bound up with dust and crap. Now works great with lots of WD40.

Thanks
            Glen
            Loving the PAJ
            |04 NP DiD GLS|Manual|ARB Bullbar|Lightforce lights|Dual Batteries|Snorkel|

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X