Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Odometer and speedo

I know the speedo reads faster than it should which is fair enough

at a true 110kmh. It shows about 117kmh on the speedo

But what about the odometer? If my car has done 200 000kms. is it really that or less or more?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

When I had standard factory diameter tyre's on my Challenger the speedo read 117/118 kph at 110 kph GPS but the Odometer was accurate when checked against the GPS positioned road kilometre markers that we have ever km on major country roads in SA.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks Mate
Much appreciated
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Modern highways often have measured 5 km sections of road with markings every 1 km. As you cross the first marker, note the odo reading and then watch until you reach the 5 km marked. Divide the error by 5 and you get the actual error. Most cars seem to be reasonably accurate with their odos, although the speedos are often optimistic. With the original tyres on my NW, the odometer was 0.1 km out over a measured 5 km length of road. The speedo was about the same as yours. I now have AT tyres and the speedo is slightly better, but still way out.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

ADR 18.5 SPEEDOMETERS AND ODOMETERS (ALL VEHICLES)

18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an
accuracy of 10 percent

18.5.2.1.2. indicate the actual distance travelled by the vehicle to an accuracy of 4
per cent.

But then in
Australian Design Rule 18/03 - Instrumentation

5.3. The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle.

So all speedos "over read" anywhere up to 10% and definitely cant under read...most likely to cater for tyre diameter/load..but the odometer has to be within +/- 4% of actual.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork and suspension, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing