• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fergy
    • Feb 2010

Upper timing chain guide

Hi Guys,

Just to have peace of mind I booked the Paj in to have the timing chain guide replaced.
    Had the tappets adjusted at the same time, as it turned out my upper guide was in really good nick thats after 153000klms , so happy now knowing that the guide has been replaced.
    (see attached photo of old guide)

This is a great forum full of great info and help.

regards
    fergy
    Caloundra Q.
    Attached Files
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

That looks like the newer breed of guide to me. It has probably been replaced before.

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• fergy
      • Feb 2010

upper timing chain guide

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
      That looks like the newer breed of guide to me. It has probably been replaced before.

Geoff
      No I have had the vehicle since new, it is a March 2006 model the last of the NP series

Comment

• Axis
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2011
        • Highett Vic

Looks the same as my 2007 NS guide did. Slightly more wear on yours. Has the timing chain tensioner been replaced or checked?
        07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• fergy
          • Feb 2010

Upper timing chain guide

Originally posted by Axis View Post
          Looks the same as my 2007 NS guide did. Slightly more wear on yours. Has the timing chain tensioner been replaced or checked?
          Not sure if the Mech did that or not, he adjusted the tappets but would like to think he would have done that while he had the cover off.

Comment

• Easykill1978
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Melbourne Vic

those gen don't fail, its rare and easily seen when the guide is replaced the top is the most crucial.. don't want that chain hopping off
            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• nugget675
              • Nov 2013
              • western australia

I checked my upper chain tensioner the other day and it was missing ! Worn through and I guess it is floating around in the sump . Somehow it must have managed to navigate its way through all those gears and stuff without causing any damage . The car has done 330000km.

Comment

• Possum
                • Apr 2013
                • Queensland Gold Coast

Originally posted by nugget675 View Post
                I checked my upper chain tensioner the other day and it was missing ! Worn through and I guess it is floating around in the sump . Somehow it must have managed to navigate its way through all those gears and stuff without causing any damage . The car has done 330000km.
                Ditto above, mine was missing @ 150k yet MM on the Gold Coast changed the tensioner 25k ago. You'd think they would have noticed it eh.
                02 NM DID 3.2 GLX Auto, 2"lift, BFG all terrain tyres, cargo barrier, snorkel, bulbar, hella driving lights, diff breathers, dual battery, roof racks, h/duty steps, tow bar, TJM under body protection.
                UHF radio, rear storage with fridge slide, pack rack (home made)

Comment

• Easykill1978
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Melbourne Vic

both of you are dam lucky the chain didnt hope off the top!!
                  My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Cairns

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                    Ditto above, mine was missing @ 150k yet MM on the Gold Coast changed the tensioner 25k ago. You'd think they would have noticed it eh.
                    Maybe not Possum. You don't need to lift the rocker cover to change the tensioner. The tensioner lives at the front of the head, on the passengers side.
                    You gents however, got very lucky having the guide fail and your engines survive!
                    Cheers, Dan.
                    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Goodsy
                      Who ya gunna call....
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Hervey Bay

Maybe we don't need them. An MM marketing ploy.
                      330000k's without a guide for god knows how long.
                      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Cairns

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                        Maybe we don't need them. An MM marketing ploy.
                        You are probably right Goodsy....
                        I had a U13 Bluebird with the KA24DE motor previously. It was known that the upper chain guides (2 of them) cause rattles on these engines as they age. The fix: remove the 2x guides and throw them in the bin.
                        I did this to mine at about the 210K mark. Sold it a few years later with about 260K on the clock. It used a bit of oil but was as quiet as a mouse and still ran very well.
                        Cheers, Dan.
                        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X