• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Another update without pics...

I've been suspicious about my starting battery for a while now - leave the car too long (it's not my daily driver, and it doesn't even get a run each weekend) and it won't start. I thought it was the dud aux pulling it down, but I now know that was only wishful thinking...

Had it on charge for a few days, took it off last night to drive it out of the garage. Played with it outside for an hour or two, jumped back in to put it away, and it wouldn't start. Rolled it closer to the garage, put it on charge and went inside for a couple of hours. Went out, started it, took it for a spin, put it away on charge overnight. This morning, took it off charge before I went to work, checked the voltage at home tonight - 12.53V. OK.

Wouldn't start.

Back on charge, looking for a new battery.

In other news, it looks like I killed the Projecta by trying to jump start using the aux battery. Looks like I'm in the market for another controller - I like the Redarc BCDC range, but I have NFI where I would install it.

I'm also not overly fond of the price, especially given that I'm about to buy new tyres.

Did I mention I'm buying new tyres? A set of ST Maxx are going on in the morning, to make sure I'm ready for Jakem Farm in two weeks.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Pics:

The seat covers that went in a few weeks ago, purchased from a forum member while I was in Brisbane to pick up the Paj:

This morning I had the new tyres fitted, so I found a nice spot to take a few photos this afternoon:

The tyre pressure sensors went in, and that's all working. The display isn't in a great spot, but it will do until I find some inspiration.

Measured the tread depth - 12mm to tread wear bars.

Checked speedo against GPS - as best I can tell, the speedo now reads about 2% high. A GPS 100km/h is about 102km/h on the speedo. Tyres are definitely noisier (no surprise there!), particularly in the bends. Overall, tyre noise isn't any louder than typical wind, engine or turbo noise, but it's easy to pick it if you're listening for it.

I also had a play with the Ultragauge, trying to get the fuel consumption matching the factory computer - I'm not impressed. On the way home this afternoon, as the factory average was ramping down, the Ultragauge average was higher, and ramping up. And the instantaneous readout is still producing ludicrous numbers.

Anyway, now I need to test this beast, see what it can really do. Two weeks!
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• grhyso
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Perth

How'd you go fitting the spare in? Have you got the spare wheel lift also? I am considering the ST Maxx next year when I get new tyres, just can't get over the price. The wife will NOT be happy.

I've managed to get my Ultragauge reasonably close to spot on while cruising, but compared to the factory one it responds quicker to my throttle movements and it doesn't read to as bigger extremes, such as the standard one goes down to roughly say 5L/100 while the UG is at 7 cruising both around 8-10 then accelerating and the factory one looks around 19-20 and the UG is reading 15. Which one is accurate? Who knows.
        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
          How'd you go fitting the spare in? Have you got the spare wheel lift also?
          I don't have the spare wheel lift, and the spare is in.

I didn't do it, and. the overall job took about an hour, including fitting the new battery, so I doubt they spent a lot of time modifying anything. Which means they either didn't need to make much change, or they did a rough job of whatever they did change.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

I spent most of the weekend installing the new (to me) headunit - a Chinese double-din unit bought from fellow forumite Extnix. It took much longer than anticipated because I was determined to adapt the factory camera, but I got there. See here for details.

While I had the dash apart, I also installed a couple of USB sockets to run on-dash accessories, and a double cigarette lighter socket tucked into the driver's side corner of the dash. Currently, they're powering a dash cam, my Nexus 7 and my phone.

To cap off the day, I installed the most important accessory:

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2013
              • Adelaide

Good job on the sticker!

any small ones for the rear side windows?
              | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
              | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
              | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
              | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• Gus
                Administrator
                • Mar 2008
                • Traralgon. Vic

Not quiet you need a couple of these:

The Paj is looking great Scott..
                VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

It's been a busy week, getting ready to baptise the NT at Jakem Farm.

As mentioned previously, I killed the Projecta and needed a replacement. I really wanted Redarc's BCDC1220 IGN, but I didn't like the $525 rrp. Fortunately, the nice people at Kulkyne Kampers offer a significant discount - $349.

Mine arrived on Tuesday, and I cobbled together an installation over a couple of nights after work.

It's not an ideal installation, but I'll run with this until it fails, or I think of something better.

I also made the fridge slide functional, and did a little more booty-fab to install some power distribution in the rear. Then, while I was trying to figure out the best way to pack tools and recovery gear into the drawers, I discovered something plugged into the factory cigarette socket alongside the drawers, with wires disappearing into the side vent. A mystery to solve another day.

For now, the fridge is in, cold and packed, I have chairs and a table on board, and I plan to get it dirty tomorrow.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pickle
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2007
                    • All over Oz

Have a great time Scott
                    Dave
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                      Have a great time Scott
                      Dave
                      Thanks Dave. I did have a good time, and I think everybody else did too.

I've decided I'll keep it. It performed much better than I expected, and I gave it some opportunities to struggle. I tried the diff locks, but only because I wanted to - not because I needed to.

All four wheels spinning on a loose climb, traction control flashing on all four, almost stationary, but it pulled through. I tried again with the diff locks, and they made it easier, but the difference wasn't huge.

I tried a few tracks with big holes that had wheels a long way in the air - no fuss, no bother. Scraped bash plates, side steps and the aux tank.

I remember Errol stating he believed the Gen 3 was more capable off-road than the Gen 2, which I thought was a big call - I'm not going to argue with him now. From memory, he said the independent suspension put the diffs up out of the way, which meant the rear diff (in particular) didn't get hung up on obstacles. After yesterday, I agree.

Two Gen 4s slid down this track with no real issues:

At the other end:

The Gen 2s dragged the rear diff, so we had some fun negotiating the worst spots:

Auto transmission and traction control made it all so easy - although I'll claim that the tyres are an important part of the equation too. The only disappointment is engine braking. Not unexpected, but engine braking down hills isn't good. Something must be done...

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• grhyso
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Perth

I'm the opposite, I've found the engine braking on the auto in Low 1st is better than I had ever expected. Only problem I have is when I am on tracks that are fine for high range then hit a hill and start braking down it only to remember I could be using the engine.

I've also been very pleasantly surprised with how well my highway terrains have performed so far for me in conjunction with the traction control. I look forwards to getting some decent rubber on there to compare.

Looks like a good fun day for you all!
                        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Kahibah68
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Newcastle

Hi NJSWB, good to hear that you are happy with your new Platinum Paj, I recently traded my 2004 GLX in on a second hand Platinum, same colour as yours and I am very happy with the few short tows of my caravan I have had with it since buying it. I had get service out on 2004 Paj, and I hope I get the same out of the Platinum, it is certainly more smoother to drive. The original Owner, who only completed 16,000 ks in it said he hated it, can't agree with him on that but the GPS certainly has taken me some time to work out. I am interested but possibly a bit ignorant when you mention a dual fuel tank. Where did you fit it in the vehicle and where are you fitting your extra battery? I have not posted a photograph of my vehicle as yet, because I am still working out how to negotiate replies on the website. Cheers

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kahibah68 View Post
                            I am interested but possibly a bit ignorant when you mention a dual fuel tank. Where did you fit it in the vehicle and where are you fitting your extra battery?
                            Hi Kahibah, welcome to the forum.

The second fuel tank was in my Pajero when I bought it; it was fitted by the previous owner. It was made by Long Range Automotive; details can be found here. Their picture:

My second battery is installed against the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay, behind the standard battery. Again, the previous owner did the original work, so I'm not sure what was in the location from the factory. I replaced the battery with a slightly larger unit (for which the battery tray needed to be modified), and also bought a new controller (I killed the Projecta unit ). There's a picture a couple of posts up, or you can click this link.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

New UHF - Icom IC-440

On a recent forum trip I was disappointed by the performance of the UHF in the Paj. I couldn't hear both sides of some conversations, and apparently there was other traffic on our channel. I'd noticed on the trip home from Brisbane that I would lose truck conversations very quickly, so something needed to be done.

I bought another radio and antenna.

An Icom IC-440.

Having all the controls on the mic makes the unit perfect for remote mounting - but where? I had to pull the dash apart to get the old unit out, and pulled the glovebox out to look at mounting it in the space above the glovebox - but it wasn't big enough. I took the opportunity to improve a dodgy repair to the glovebox, and gave the air-con filter a clean while I was in the vicinity.

After sleeping on the problem, I decided to install the unit in the space alongside the glovebox, just inside the passenger's door.

It sits under the vent at the end of the dash:

It just clears the glovebox:

But what about the mic? It plugs into the unit using an RJ45 connector, and also comes with an extension lead for remote mounting. I pulled the housing off the socket on the extension lead, cut a hole in a blank panel in front of the transfer shifter, then glued the socket to the back of the panel (and organised a little strain relief too, but no pics of that...)

Edit: 7 years later, I took a pic of the strain relief:
                              20210110_123404.jpg

Now I need to find something else to put in the gap.

7 year edit: I bought a commercial DIN pocket insert, and it typically holds my sunglasses case. No pics of that

I also allowed myself to be talked in to mounting an antenna to the roof rail. The bloke in the shop said they tek-screw the mount to the rail, but I'm not a big fan of tek-screws. Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to remove the front rail mount, to check out my options. No photos of that - sun visor, A-pillar trim and front grab handle were removed to allow the headlining to be dropped far enough to access the nuts holding the mount, then there was enough flex in the rail to allow the mount to be pulled out.

I drilled some holes for the antenna bracket, and then couldn't get a nut on the back of one of the screws. I filled those holes with Quiksteel, trimmed the antenna bracket and re-drilled the holes. The stubby antenna that got thrown in with the deal now looks like this:

The antenna lead loops back under the rail bracket, then runs down the rain channel, under the windscreen rubber down to the engine bay, enters the engine bay near the bonnet hinge, then through a hole in the firewall shared by a couple of power cables (leaving a loop for rainwater to drip off the cable rather than run into the cabin). Then across the cabin under the dash to where the radio is mounted.

If I get really unlucky, a tree branch could catch the cable - but I would need to be very unlucky. Famous last words?

It works - kind of. I need to spend some time with the manual to figure out what all the buttons mean, but I have a trip coming up soon - so I'll play with it then.

I also bought a 6db antenna, but I'll save that for trips - it's a little tall to drive in and out of the garage, where stubby clears it easily.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Wooly Mammoth
                                • Oct 2012
                                • Hobart

Thats a fiarly good place for the ANT the only better spot is the centre of the roof. I would be fitting the larger ANT for any trips though, Stubbies are such a compromise to get working.
                                '95 NJ GLS LWB 3.0Lt Auto, 3" Body lift, Bocar Bar , 2 x 55W 7" HIDs , PRM 8030 UHF , Snorkel.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X