• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Kia Sportage diesel AWD poverty pack

Well it is just over two months and 7000 kms on my Kia Sportage Diesel so time to report back.

Purely and simply this is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. Sure the XR6 Turbo was fun but low suspension was a hassle and Ford’s reliability was poor.

The Kia gets 6.7/100 driven normally between fills with nearly all highway driving. At worst it got 7.2/100 towing trailer for 200 kms and bit of town driving.

It is quiet, has the same power and torque as my PC Challenger but hell of a lot lighter. Handles and rides extremely well. Brakes are brilliant.

The auto to diesel mating is dam near perfect. The old BA Ford Turbo to 4 speed was very good, but this thing is even better.

Reasonably roomy inside but does not take up much space on the outside. Proper spare!

Only regret was it was brought as a commuter vehicle so is the poverty pack. I do miss the climate control and some controls do not work the way I like such as high beam. But dam impressive vehicle. Love the fill to the brim an get 900 kms from a tank and unlike DooSo that drinks 105 litres Hoofu sips 60 or less litres.

Frankly, if Hoofu continues to perform as he is doing I think Kia will have a loyal customer. At work we almost have every small SUV in the car park so chance to compare and contrast. The Rava diesel had its motor replaced. The Mazada is too small for my frame. The Subaru bit cramped as well. Xtrail bit plastic like on the inside. The Mitsubishi drinks fuel.

Off-road is not really Hoofu’s thing as probably worse in class ground clearance. But on a very muddy and slippery block he went were he was pointed while some 4WD utes cut deep tracks and slide around. That was not even locking in the centre connection.

DooSo is a proper 4x4 and remarkably capable Cruiser. But Hoofu as a long range commuter and around town shopping trolley excells. Two rather different ends of the 4x4/AWD market. Each has their own place.

The “proper” six speed auto in the Sportage around town kills the dual clutch I40 a friend has, though the I40 is pretty impressive on the highway. The Korean duo in my opinion rather show up a lot of their competitors.

Kia has gone from cheapest, to best value and in my opinion is best in class. Mainly due to Mazadas been rather tight for the bigger driver. No mean feat as the Sportage is in one of the most hard fought classes. It is clear by work’s car park people’s opinions differ and there not a really bad car in the car park in the small SUV range.

I hope Kia does a proper 4x4 as this would show up a few much hyped vehicles.
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Good to hear it is performing well!

We have a 2014 Kia Rondo (7-seater small people mover), other than being a bit slow and thirsty it is an unbelievably practical and versatile car. It has plenty of bells and whistles, surprising roomy relative to the outside dimensions (it can fit 3 adults across the back seat) and it is also great to drive and very comfortable. Kia sure have come a long way.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2000
      • Tasmania

Have to agree with KIA value, we bought a 2011 2.2 tdi Sorento as a daily driver now. Incredibly frugal & amazing torque. Very comfortable with lots of features and it does NOT have a dpf!.

My only wish was that it was a 'proper' 4wd , had a low range etc, but I knew that when we bought it. THe model before did have low range & a ladder chassis and was a good vehcile by all reports, just a bit long in the tooth now, IMO, But didnt have the u beaut 2.2 tdi motor.

From all reports the new KIA stinger is a real ball tearer too.
      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Maximage
        • Mar 2013
        • Darch, Perth, WA

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
        \THe model before did have low range & a ladder chassis and was a good vehcile by all reports
        You know why they were a good vehicle? They bought the design rights to the mechanicals of the Gen 2 Pajero and basically re-worked it to become that original Sorento. Same petrol engine design (just made in a Hyundai/Kia factory) even down to the failing butterfly valves in the intake.

Had two of them before my current Paj. They had quite decent parts in them, transfer case was Borg Warner, LSD on earlier models (pre-traction control) was an Eaton, turbo was a Garrett, full stainless exhaust, etc etc, well thought out with reliable suppliers but everyone thought it was a soft roader.

Have often thought the same thing, if they put the same effort in today to make a real 4WD and not a soft roader it would be killer.
        SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

Originally posted by Maximage View Post

Have often thought the same thing, if they put the same effort in today to make a real 4WD and not a soft roader it would be killer.
          Yeah thought that myself, it’s s pity it’s only a softie
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X