• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussiebushman
    • Sep 2016
    • Jerrong NSW

Horn has a mind of its own

This is irritating to say the least.

The horn activates intermittently without touching the horn ring on the steering wheel. Seems to happen mostly when the steering wheel is being turned - but at other times too.

Other than ripping out the connections and silencing the bloody thing permanently. any other known fixes please?
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

My guess is the clock spring.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

The horn circuit takes power via a fuse, then through the horn relay, through the clock spring and then the horn button and then earth. Any short circuit to earth after the horn relay will activate the horn, because the horn relay will sense current flow to earth - it doesn't matter where it earth, as long as it earths. The most likely place is the clock spring, but there could be a short anywhere between the horn relay and the clock spring as well. Good luck finding the fault - intermittent faults are hard to track down.

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

the horn pad has failed its a thing that happens, have heard of it quite a few times on gen 2's
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
          the horn pad has failed its a thing that happens, have heard of it quite a few times on gen 2's
          Quite possible. I guess that the springs in the pad may have failed and thus occasionally the button can complete the circuit to earth. I don't know, but is it possible to dismantle the horn pad and reset the springs? You would have to be careful because there is possibly an airbag behind the button as well.

Comment

• stumagoo
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by erad View Post
            Quite possible. I guess that the springs in the pad may have failed and thus occasionally the button can complete the circuit to earth. I don't know, but is it possible to dismantle the horn pad and reset the springs? You would have to be careful because there is possibly an airbag behind the button as well.

I believe there are no springs -- which is why they fail - if I am correct it relies on the plastic rebound properties of the horn coverings
            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

See link, not only the horn windows as well!

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

I had a similar problem on an old Chrysler Galant, back in the late 80s. Random activation of the horn, sometimes I'd have to pull the fuse to stop it.

I finally called an auto-electrician to have a look, and showed him the wiring diagram in the service manual. He popped the bonnet, had a quick look at the horn, and asked "where's the other horn?".

The wiring diagram showed two horns, and one was easy to see. The other was tucked under the battery tray, out of sight. On the second horn, one terminal had fallen off - the terminal that the horn pad earthed to make the horn work. But it was still connected to the wire, and was swinging around under the battery tray. Occasionally it would land on earthed metal, earth the circuit and make the other horn sound.

I don't have my NJ service manual handy - what is the circuit downstream of the horn relay? Does the horn relay switch the positive or the negative?

Have you tried replacing the relay? I've disconnected my spotlights because they would randomly turn on all by themselves. I have them wired with two relays, and can only guess that one of them is intermittently switching itself on - but whenever the spotlights were on, lifting the bonnet to troubleshoot would cause them to turn off. So I've taken the easy way out.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• aussiebushman
                  • Sep 2016
                  • Jerrong NSW

Originally posted by erad View Post
                  - - - Good luck finding the fault - intermittent faults are hard to track down.
                  Ain't that the truth!

Since this is just my farm hack, I suspect the removal of the fuse and/or the connectors to the horn might end up being my solution. However, with thanks to all of you, I'll try to find the fault location first.

Comment

• gemster
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Gold Coast

Lol, pull the wires off the actual horn, tape them up... At least that will stop it from activating... Then you can look for the issue...

Another idea is get a sticker that says, " Horn Broken Watch for Finger"...

Gemster....
                    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• aussiebushman
                      • Sep 2016
                      • Jerrong NSW

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                      Lol, pull the wires off the actual horn, tape them up... At least that will stop it from activating... Then you can look for the issue...

Another idea is get a sticker that says, " Horn Broken Watch for Finger"...

Gemster....
                      Love it! Only problem is that here, only the possums, roos etc will see i - probably the only reason to miss living in so-called "society"

Comment

• gemster
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Gold Coast

I posted before I read that its a farm hack.... Just disconnect it and use on the farm...

But if you do need one of those Stickers, There's plenty on ebay....

Gemster....
                        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X