• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twitchie88
    • Feb 2019
    • Berwick Victoria

New to all this fancy stuff

Hey guys
    So in my introduction post I explained i was waiting in delivery for my 2001 duel fuel NM manual pajero, well ive picked it up and my lord its so comfortable to drive!

Ive got a good little todo list starting up
    Ie
    Lift
    Tyres
    Snorkel
    Bar
    Lights
    Head unit
    Possibly even build myself a little set of draws in the bag to carry my spare screws,drill bits etc

I do have a few questions about these fancy cars tho
    (Im used to gq patrols)

Number 1
    As this is my daily work car and being a tradie when winter hits so does the mud in the cars, so my question is

Is there any places out there that make vinyl floors for the NMs?
    Or will it be the matter of having no carpet and just some sound dentinor pant?
    (I really dislike floor mats)

Number 2
    Winter will more than likely hit before i get to lift her and will need some nice ATs to be able to drive in and out of jobsites.

What are the biggest size tyres to safely run on standard suspension?

Number 3
    Im not wanting to do serious 4bing anymore just more lighter fun stuff with some good challenges that require more thinking and technique rather than just a heavy foot and not caring about about damage and also With out having to try get a sponsorship from shell or bp
    SO

After ive lifted it are 32 ATs safe to run on ifs and irs without having to do major works to the cvs and without having to fuel up every 200ks?

Many thanks in advance for answer my more than likely stupid questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I can't really help with questions 1 & 2, but the answer to question 3 depends on how far you intend to lift it.

Most of us run lift around the 50mm mark, probably less, which is more than adequate for 32" tyres. At these levels of lift Mitsubishi CVs (front and rear) are OK, and fuel consumption penalty is probably in the order of 1 - 2 l/100km (which includes the impact of the more aggressive tyres). To get much more lift than this will probably have wider ranging effects than just your CVs.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• twitchie88
      • Feb 2019
      • Berwick Victoria

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      I can't really help with questions 1 & 2, but the answer to question 3 depends on how far you intend to lift it.

Most of us run lift around the 50mm mark, probably less, which is more than adequate for 32" tyres. At these levels of lift Mitsubishi CVs (front and rear) are OK, and fuel consumption penalty is probably in the order of 1 - 2 l/100km (which includes the impact of the more aggressive tyres). To get much more lift than this will probably have wider ranging effects than just your CVs.

Thanks nj
      Ill be looking at getting a 2inch (50mm) lift
      As for my tyres id honestly probably only get some nice agressive ATs

[emoji88] You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the grim reaper [emoji88]

Comment

• Scouter1
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2013
        • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by twitchie88 View Post
        Is there any places out there that make vinyl floors for the NMs?
        Or will it be the matter of having no carpet and just some sound dentinor pant?
        (I really dislike floor mats)
        Have you had a look at the Sandgrabba option https://nobullaccessories.com.au/pro...i-sandgrabbas/? I know you mentioned disliking mats but I have run a full set in my vehicle for nearly three years https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...5&postcount=29 with some very muddy/snowy/sandy shoes inside and have only had to pull them out 2-3 times for cleaning after big trips. I am a Venturer Scout leader with a fairly active unit so regularly have a lot of dirty teenagers in the car after bushwalking canyoning & xc ski trips. So far I haven't had any leakage into the carpet during this time.

I have driven commercial vehicles in the past with vinyl floors and would say the moulded mat system is nearly as good in regards to staying in place & protecting the carpet underneath. There is a good clip system holding them in so they just don't move unless you pull them out. I can imagine they are a fair bit cheaper than getting a custom floor made up, and work a hell of a lot better than using old conveyor belting or similar material. Definitely worth thinking about.

Cheers,
        Stephen
        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• nedkelly05
          • Jul 2012
          • Parkdale Vic

The new BF Goodrich KO2 all terrain tyres are really good in my opinion, and a worthwhile option when looking at tyres. 275 65 16 are a good all round size without going bigger and risking scrubbing on the guards.
          04 NP 3.8 petrol on lpg, 104k, ARB steel bullbar with 9500 low mount warn, modified landcruiser 100ifs rear shocks with king 2 inch lift front, and big 400kg dobbins on rear to compensate for rear bar, Waeco cf50 with surround, rear mounted spare battery (redarc), no room for a second battery under the bonnet!, spotties, Snorkel, uhf and rear steel bumper with swingouts (spare wheel and jerry cans), electric brakes, extended hayman reece fitting, rear mounted camera, am steels with 285 Goodies.

Comment

• twitchie88
            • Feb 2019
            • Berwick Victoria

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
            Have you had a look at the Sandgrabba option https://nobullaccessories.com.au/pro...i-sandgrabbas/? I know you mentioned disliking mats but I have run a full set in my vehicle for nearly three years https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...5&postcount=29 with some very muddy/snowy/sandy shoes inside and have only had to pull them out 2-3 times for cleaning after big trips. I am a Venturer Scout leader with a fairly active unit so regularly have a lot of dirty teenagers in the car after bushwalking canyoning & xc ski trips. So far I haven't had any leakage into the carpet during this time.

I have driven commercial vehicles in the past with vinyl floors and would say the moulded mat system is nearly as good in regards to staying in place & protecting the carpet underneath. There is a good clip system holding them in so they just don't move unless you pull them out. I can imagine they are a fair bit cheaper than getting a custom floor made up, and work a hell of a lot better than using old conveyor belting or similar material. Definitely worth thinking about.

Cheers,

Stephen

Thanks stephen I’ll definitely have a look in to them.
            Can i ask how long have you had them in for?

[emoji88] You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the grim reaper [emoji88]

Comment

• twitchie88
              • Feb 2019
              • Berwick Victoria

Originally posted by nedkelly05 View Post
              The new BF Goodrich KO2 all terrain tyres are really good in my opinion, and a worthwhile option when looking at tyres. 275 65 16 are a good all round size without going bigger and risking scrubbing on the guards.

Definitely agree with you 100% my rents have them on their PK ranger? They live in alexandra (roughly 2 hours out of Melbourne) on 20 acers, mid winter it gets real sloshy on parts of their property and was extremely supprised how well they handled and gripped

Comment

• Scouter1
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by twitchie88 View Post
                Thanks stephen I’ll definitely have a look in to them.
                Can i ask how long have you had them in for?
                Coming up to three years - daily driver and I work in an office so not too much punishment during the week. I do lots of weekend trips though as previously mentioned, that is where they really get hammered. Still no wear visable anywhere, especially in the driver's footwell.
                2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• twitchie88
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Berwick Victoria

So been out shopping around for prices for some goodies and been seeking advice

So i need some advice on my opinions from you knowledgeable people.

So above i explained my plans
                  Well after some thinking and talking to a few people its got my mind ticking at a million miles an hour.

My car is going to be used primarily for work
                  Carring my tools every day during the week days, there is alot of weight with them all.
                  Ie
                  Bag of drills x2 with x6 batterys 5-5Ah 1-9Ah
                  Bag of cordless power tools (circular saw, planner, fixer, jigsaw, recipo)
                  Cordless droppy
                  X2 largers tool boxes full of tools
                  X1 smaller tool boxes full of tools
                  X1 large screw box
                  3ft alloy ladder
                  Levels etc etc etc fair amount of weight.
                  So been thinking maybe a bullbar might not be a great idea for weight issues for fuel wise etc.

Anyway ive been thinking ALOT today about my uses for my car, i want to do some 4wheeling nothing major like i said but honestly will not be all the time.

So what would you guys do?
                  I want to have stiffer springs in the rear to accomodate for the weight being hauled around all week.
                  When i go away as a family will be towing a bike trailer with x4 bikes plus all our riding gear etc, but thats more when we go to my parents place which is often.
                  Would a 2” rated to 200-300kg be in place? Or can i get some standard hight springs at 200-300kg?

I was going to put 32s on it but really wouldnt be using them for that hight all the time so been thinking just getting some 265/75/r16 or 31s ATs.

Im just thinking of ways to save weight in return fuel.

Am i making a point for myself or am i just losing my marbles???

Please any input to help me make my mind sorted!

Comment

• mrbitchi
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Brisbane

Another vote for Sandgrabbas. Had them in my NM for over 10 years. That set is now in my brothers old NP and still going strong. I also fitted a set in my Cruiser 3 yrs ago. Love em
                    Cheers, John.
                    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• dreamerman
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • Sydney

I have custom vinyl type floor mats for my NX. Plenty on ebay.
                      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X