• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

gen 4 starter batteries

Ok then. Got home yesterday went to start car this morning and yep, no battery again. The oem toy battery needs to go. So, what do I go for and what hacking do I need to do to make it fit? I like the idea of the optima D34, but at nearly twice the price of a wet cell, I'm having 2nd thoughts. Coupled with that my battery needs replacement now, so finding a good local deal will be hard.

So any words of wisdom from those that have been down this path would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

I simply cut the end off the plastic insert & fitted a N70ZZ size.
    If negative lead is a bit of a stretch, try loosening the bolt on the lead & re-positioning (but mine was OK without adjusting.
    I have a Supercharge, but I will buy a Century next time, as it's less than impressive at 3 years old.

Supercheap looks to have a special on Century at present?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
      I simply cut the end off the plastic insert & fitted a N70ZZ size.
      If negative lead is a bit of a stretch, try loosening the bolt on the lead & re-positioning (but mine was OK without adjusting.
      I have a Supercharge, but I will buy a Century next time, as it's less than impressive at 3 years old.

Supercheap looks to have a special on Century at present?

Likewise. I ditched the plastic liner and now have a century heavy duty 1130cca starter...works a treat and fitted with no issues. I did put 5mm insertion rubber around the engine side just to help keep heat out (if thats possible. Also on the bottom of the holder to assist vibration.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jack ANT
        • Mar 2012
        • Shoalhaven

I went the dearer option and only use Optima batteries. Across 2 4wd's with dual battery set ups over the last 15 years I have never had an Optima fail or need to be replaced, ever.

I buy it once and it lasts. The 2 in the Jackeroo were nearly 10 years old when I sold it and were still going as if they were new.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Oh well, no time like the present to change it.

I've never had a good run with wet cell N70's. Century, exide, generic, 4x4 and marine hybrid ones all seem to give me 2 years. One good off road trip, shaking up the internals and I suffer a failure very soon on my return. So I'm keen to go AGM this time around, although I'm not happy charging it with variable voltage alternators.

Could only find one d34 optima locally on a Sunday and paid a premium over ebay, but a good deal compared to what the others would charge here if I went looking next week. Not a cheap exercise.

A bit of a PITA, not sure if they come left and right handed, but the terminals are on the opposite side compared to the oem unit IE terminals closer to the engine, so stretching cables is a bit of a bugger. Neg side fitted pretty well, the main pos cable and the fusible links were a struggle.

BTW, i'm not running standard bat terminals and I think a bit of engineering would need to be done to make them fit. The bat terminals themselves are closer to center of the battery, therefore clearance of battery case to neg current shunt housing and fusible link housing would be troublesome.

Anyway, a bit of cutting of the battery box and I'm going again with a D34. Lets see how long this one lasts. probably longer than my aux tank
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Jack ANT
            • Mar 2012
            • Shoalhaven

you can order the Optima with terminals in either orientation but I guess when time is against you there is not much choice.

I have moved some cabling around and changed connections when I set up the dual battery system. That said it all was worth it. It's no BS I've never had an Optima fail despite desert, freezing high country or corrugations.

My NT has the variable voltage alternator working through a basic Redarc SBI for the dual battery set up. Starter is the D34 Yellow top and Aux is I think a D32 (roughly N70 size) although it is only 75AH I dont usually stay more than 2 days in one spot.

What is a real PITA is their weight and the fact they are often taller than the standard battery.

Good luck with it.

Comment

• Seigried
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2016
              • brisbane

I run a century n70zzxlhd. I had to do a little bit of re routing to get the -ve and +ve to fit as the termials are further inboard, but it fits in the factory box on the NS.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

I put an NZ70 ZZ battery in my NW. Initially, I simply left the original plastic heat shield off, but got to thinking about it later and decided that Mitsubishi must have had a good reason to put it there in the first place so I cut off what I had to and fitted the heat shield and the N70ZZ battery in place. Hopefully it will last for years now.

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
                  I run a century n70zzxlhd. I had to do a little bit of re routing to get the -ve and +ve to fit as the termials are further inboard, but it fits in the factory box on the NS.

Doesn't it come in left or right hand terminals?
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Mine did and fitted easily.
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Seigried
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2016
                      • brisbane

It probably does but it was the last one in the store and i needed a battery. At least it fits.

Comment

• caroma
                        • May 2012
                        • WA - Pilbara

Currently running an 'Amaron' brand battery from the local Battery World. A bit over 12 months old so far.
                        2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• dhula
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • South of Perth

Amaron here also, for almost 3 years now I think and no issues. Big thing as you know is to maintain the battery no matter what brand you get. Clean and tight terminals, tight (but not too tight) mounts and keep the liquid topped up.

Other batteries I've had success with longer term and being hard on are Delcor/Delkor and Cat
                          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                            • May 2009
                            • Perth

So much for that idea then......paid twice the price for an optima to give me starting reliability when remote. 6 months on, and guess what, failed optima, hundreds of km's from help.

Not Happy Jan

My Journeys

Comment

• Marz
                              • Jun 2013
                              • Outback Lilydale VIC

Sounds like you may have a possible electrical problem? Those (optima) batteries are pretty indestructible when it comes to harsh environments (from what I've been told), mind you I'm not a fan of them. Take it back, get a refund or replacement. Get your alternator, charge cables and dual battery isolator (if using one) and associated wiring checked out.

Personally, I like wet cells. Been running an Exide Extreme for the last 5 years. My suspension up until a month ago was VERY harsh (Nolathane bushes all round, 2" King springs, KYB Scortched 4 shocks) and I used to do some long trips on bad roads. As long as you keep up the maintenance on wet cells they'll last just as long as your SLA, AGM, etc, etc.

Hope you sort this out, but really sounds like an electrical problem to me.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X