• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharky
    Valued Member
    • May 2008
    • Kilmore

Gen3 km's?

Possibly maybe after chrissy going to be looking at trading/selling my 105 series cruiser and getting back into a jero, an NM or NP 3.2 auto. If I do then will be looking at ones with high 200's low 300's on the clock. Is this too many k's. Sorry for asking but I know very little about this model and engine. Is it worth getting one with these sort of k's? Any help appreciated
    ----------------------------
    'Steve'
    2000 NL TD GLS
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Hi sharky, finally something I can contribute to..

I am new here to this fantastic forum but I may be quite a good example of your question. ( however it may take some time to see how keen my eye was at purchasing my Paj in the months to come )

I picked up my 2002 3.2 exceed auto about 3 months ago after looking around for a long time, while money is always an issue, I was flexible for the right deal, prepared to spend $12,000ish....having said that I took a gamble. My Paj is in pretty damn good nik for a 2002, had been owned by a company all it's life (2owners) quite stock except for nudge bar, spotties and a brake controller (did tow a horse trailer for a period of time). Part of its history is it has a replaced gearbox and motor has had 2 oil additives (one for a period of time then the other to this day) first was Moreys and currently IXL anti friction ( I welcome peoples comments good or bad on any of these ).

Yes it has some issues it attend to, rotors and brake pads are coming up, I want to do a lift kit even though it rides great ( a few cars a go I had a Gen 2 petrol and sold it with 185k on the clock ). A couple of power outlets aren't working and the Manuel Ariel switch too.. Easy stuff.

Now, when I drove it, it went Sweet. Motor, Trans, 4x4, Aircon, had manifold cleaned, all warning lights work etc.

Now to the gamble part, it has travelled.......................wait for it ........................ It's coming........................ 515,000ks I still get around 800kms from a tank at a push. ( first half almost 500ks second half must be smaller ). So I figure even if the motor shits it's self depending on when it does and how attached to it I am, I will get another motor because I paid under $6000 for the car and even a 2002 diesel auto with 250-300,000ks are still Over $10 grand.

I am loving the diesel, in a few years time it really won't be worth a cracker as a resale so I am happy to take on the experiment.... Good luck with your search.
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Easykill1978
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Melbourne Vic

Hi,

I have a 2003 NP Pajero and got it with 300,000km on the clock.

in short i am very very happy.

few things to note however, as with any second hand car maintenance will set you back.
      • First thing you must do on purchase of any pajero is change the top chain guide, be had from mm for about $35. while your at it might as well replace the rocker cover gasket $40 and set the gaps again. since its exposed why not?
      • Second thing, do a complete oil replacement for the engine.. you can get a filter pack for about $68 from syndey filters. becarefull and dont let any diesel spill onto the starter motor.
      • third. check to see if the egr is blocked, if its not.. then block it and clean the intake manifold.
      • Take care when doing a lift, you may need to replace the shock dampeners for the front. they are $47 each from mm (funny they are cheaper than others who want $65 each). also there is an issue with some diesel paj upto mid 2005 where the rear tail shaft pop out on occasion. this is to do with the circlip not being big enough. here you will need to get new shafts and transfer case flanges (forgot the name) they go for $500 on ebay and you can hunt the wreckers for the correct shafts.. someone here has the hotfix info they can email you.. if it does pop out you can hit it back in.. also the cv boots may crack cause of the new angle and you can get replacements for these.. also the cast and camber bolts tend to seize and rust in place and for about $100 you can get replacement bolts.

also the intercoolers can crack easy when you 4x4 so take care.. i got a TMIC and am extremely happy with it..

as with all cars, its second hand and will cost money to keep it on the road.
      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Bundyk
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • North Nowra

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
        Hi,

I have a 2003 NP Pajero and got it with 300,000km on the clock.

in short i am very very happy.

few things to note however, as with any second hand car maintenance will set you back.
        • First thing you must do on purchase of any pajero is change the top chain guide, be had from mm for about $35. while your at it might as well replace the rocker cover gasket $40 and set the gaps again. since its exposed why not?
        • Second thing, do a complete oil replacement for the engine.. you can get a filter pack for about $68 from syndey filters. becarefull and dont let any diesel spill onto the starter motor.
        • third. check to see if the egr is blocked, if its not.. then block it and clean the intake manifold.
        • Take care when doing a lift, you may need to replace the shock dampeners for the front. they are $47 each from mm (funny they are cheaper than others who want $65 each). also there is an issue with some diesel paj upto mid 2005 where the rear tail shaft pop out on occasion. this is to do with the circlip not being big enough. here you will need to get new shafts and transfer case flanges (forgot the name) they go for $500 on ebay and you can hunt the wreckers for the correct shafts.. someone here has the hotfix info they can email you.. if it does pop out you can hit it back in.. also the cv boots may crack cause of the new angle and you can get replacements for these.. also the cast and camber bolts tend to seize and rust in place and for about $100 you can get replacement bolts.
        This is only partially correct. ALL Gen 3 Pajero's pre Oct 2005 are susceptible to having the companion shafts pop out, more commonly the passengers side one. To fix it completely, you need to replace the companion shaft itself, which will have the bigger circlip fitted. If you buy a manual diesel, then you will need to replace the driveshaft as well because, for some reason, MM decided to use different driveshafts in the manual diesels, so they don't match the updated companion shafts, the flanges are different and the bolt holes don't line up. The transfer case doesn't come into it.

Sharky,

So long as its been serviced well and not flogged, a Paj with those kinds of kms shouldn't give you too much trouble. If you use the search function, there is a pretty comprehensive list of what to look for when buying a Gen 3 Pajero.

Good luck mate.
        Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

I've had my NM 3.2 Exceed from new just clicked over 270 thou & about to head of on a trip.. By the time I get back in 3-4 weeks it'll have 277 Tho at least.. It's done it's fair share of Off Road Towing, 2 Ton off Road Van, & plenty of serious off roading. So if you get a good 1 looked after with 300 Thou on it it's only just run in

Mine Drives as new.. Service & maintaining is the Key.

Obviously do all checks & plenty to read on here about them
          VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
          NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
            First thing you must do on purchase of any pajero is change the top chain guide, be had from mm for about $35. while your at it might as well replace the rocker cover gasket $40 and set the gaps again. since its exposed why not?
            Top timing chain guide change is only on the diesel motors - NOT any Pajero.

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
            If you buy a manual diesel, then you will need to replace the driveshaft as well because, for some reason, MM decided to use different driveshafts in the manual diesels, so they don't match the updated companion shafts, the flanges are different and the bolt holes don't line up.
            Not all manual diesels need the new axle shafts - only 2001, 2002 and some early 2003 models.

If you want a copy of the Mitsubishi Hotfix for this problem, which details exactly what is involved, PM me your email address.

I have a 2003 NP diesel Exceed I bought new - has a bit under 300,000km. on the clock at the moment. Hopefully it is heading for another 300K.

Cheers

Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Mydot377
              • Sep 2014
              • Newcast

High ks

I to am pretty new to owning a Paj, having owned Landrovers for over 15 yrs, couple of months back picked up my NM Exeed 3.2 manual, previous owner had done some work, lift, poly bags , bullbar etc. he'd done the outback trip with family and off rd camper, mechanicly untouched it had done 285k. The kms didn't really worry me, had service history etc, now over 292km on it with no real dramas( apart from the not going into low range thing) I couldn't be happier, paid 8.700 for it. Sweeet

Comment

• jackjunior
                • Oct 2014
                • kadina s.a

hight ks

Hi I own a nm Pajero 2000 307000 km on it and it's still got the original dual mass flywheel and original 2.8 diesel motor and it's still drives beautiful. I swapt a 1979 ZH ford Fairlane for the Pajero I reckon it wasn't a bad deal.

Comment

• sharky
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2008
                  • Kilmore

Thanks all for you great info, looks like I have a bit of reading to do on those common issues. I was a bit sceptical but now feel a little more at ease if I end up with a high k one. Rugga wow 515k now that's impressive!. I was not sure on doing this but as long as I can sell the cruiser after chrissy I'm pretty keen at this stage. I will take on board all that you have said and will check out further what there is on the gen 3's. Thanks very much for putting my mind at ease on the k's

Cheers Steve
                  ----------------------------
                  'Steve'
                  2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• Easykill1978
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                    Top timing chain guide change is only on the diesel motors - NOT any Pajero.

Not all manual diesels need the new axle shafts - only 2001, 2002 and some early 2003 models.

If you want a copy of the Mitsubishi Hotfix for this problem, which details exactly what is involved, PM me your email address.

I have a 2003 NP diesel Exceed I bought new - has a bit under 300,000km. on the clock at the moment. Hopefully it is heading for another 300K.

Cheers

Geoff

srry i meant diesel.. lol.. my bad.. mental note dont write just after you woke up.
                    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Tekno
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Fleurieu peninsula SA

So im guessing that I should not be concerned that my NP I bought about 5 weeks ago has done 241000kms having read the previous post's. looks like I should get a load more out of it then. woohoo
                      2006 NP PAJERO DID AUTO VRX,egr blank,3"scotts rods exhaust,old man emu nitrocharger sports shocks,poly airbags

Comment

• Hill
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Adelaide

Tenko.

All depends on previous service history and driving style of previous owners.

Regular servicing oil, all filters, coolant change and brake fluid change is always a good indicator.

Hill
                        200 Series
                        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Tekno
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Fleurieu peninsula SA

Im unsure about previous history,but I had my mechanic give it a full going over,he also did the valve clearances which were out a little(no concern really) and of course i had him change the upper timing chain guide as well after reading lots about that particular item. The report came back great except for the front left shock that is leaking.But on the 8th of Jan,I have new old man emus going in,so not concerned,and it drives great. Quite happy
                          2006 NP PAJERO DID AUTO VRX,egr blank,3"scotts rods exhaust,old man emu nitrocharger sports shocks,poly airbags

Comment

• GHendo
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Tekno View Post
                            Im unsure about previous history,but I had my mechanic give it a full going over,he also did the valve clearances which were out a little(no concern really) and of course i had him change the upper timing chain guide as well after reading lots about that particular item. The report came back great except for the front left shock that is leaking.But on the 8th of Jan,I have new old man emus going in,so not concerned,and it drives great. Quite happy
                            That sounds really good mate. The problems with any machinery however, even if you own it from new, is that something out of the blue can fail at any time - Murphy's Law. I do a lot of preventative maintenance on mine - ie. I replace things when I think they are getting towards the end of their life. My vehicle has done over 270,000km. and I have had it from new. I recently replaced all the wheel bearings and ball joints - they didn't appear to be buggered but with that mileage I reckoned that had to be nearing their life span - it sure beats being held up on the side of the road with a broken part.

Enjoy your Pajero.

Geoff
                            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• sjp2
                              • Jul 2007

daughters thinking of selling hers and at 290 k's is good to know that she can still get around $10 grand for it ,but will be interested to see what the dealers come up with.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X