• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

About 18 months ago 4X4 Action advertised a special deal on SensaTyre - a wireless tyre pressure/temperature moitoring system. As I had nearly stuffed a good Cooper tyre just before that because of a nail, I bought the four tyre monitoring system for $180 - dirt cheap.

The sensors have to be installed inside the tyre rim as they replace the valve holders. The system worked ok when I installed it, but I often found it took quite a while to register the pressures after starting off - could be 10 minutes. About 6 months ago I moved the display/receiver unit to a different location on the dash and the reception improved dramatically - except for one tyre which has since gone from bad to worse and now gives me no reading at all.

I contacted the agent who now informs me the system I bought was an "end of model run-out" - I should have know !! He is trying to be quite helpful and reckons the battery in the faulty sensor is probably flat - I think they are supposed to last 7 years. He is prepared to give me a couple of sensors free and he also talked about an external aerial that goes under the vehicle - I think he said he'd give me that free as well.

The other option is a complete new upgraded system at a reduced price - he asked me not to disclose how much but it is more than I paid for the original system. I'm a little peeved as if I go the way of option 2 I will have only got 18 months out of a system that was supposed to work for 7 years and if I get option 2 I am supposed to get 7 years use from now at a cost of more than double my original investment.

The main difference between the old and new system seems to be the old one only sends updates to the receiver every 8 to 10 minutes whereas the new one sends them every 38 seconds.

DOES ANYONE HERE USE THESE TYPES OF SYSTEMS and if you do, how much, what are they and how do you like them.

I'm getting new tyres next week so I've got to do something quickly or the tyres will have to come off again to have the sensors fitted.

I found a thread started by Pickle back in 2007 about a Repco system but can't read his report - it is on an old server.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
  • mmannion
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Birth place of QLD

Hi Geoff, I use the TyreDog system with external sensors that screw onto the valve stem. I like the idea of the external sensors because they are cheap and easy to replace if needed, same goes for the replaceable battery. They have a lock ring that you can install which stops low life's from just unscrewing them and walking off! The monitor can either run on AAA batteries or the cig plug, has temp, pressure etc with user programable settings for max/min of both. Audible and visual alarms backlight etc. Works really well and updates every few seconds. The only draw back is that you need to remove sensors to inflate/deflate Tyres, but no big deal as its just like taking the valve cap off if you don't have the lock rings in place. Cheap too! I got it from eBay as per below link(not same seller)but out of Tiawan.

Cheers
    Mike.
    02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• Onslow
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

Hi Geoff, I'm using the SensaTyre 16 tyre monitor system. It works the same as your four tyre system, inside the rim. I had another brand previously and it lasted around 2 years before it was useless. The Sensatyre is heaps more accurate and responds much quicker than many others. I can only highly recommend these units, and the service from the importer was excellent too - well worth the dollars.
      NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• PradoEater
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Oatley

sensatyre TPMS

Anyone else out there using this brand/system??
        Despite the cost I want to get one after one destroyed tyre yesterday.
        NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
        Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

• Onslow
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by PradoEater View Post
          Anyone else out there using this brand/system??
          Despite the cost I want to get one after one destroyed tyre yesterday.
          Yes, I've run Sensa Tyre on two vehicles now. Excellent quality TPMS. Long battery life, replaceable sensors, easy to use. Highly recommend them. The internal sensors are the better option for 4wdrives.
          NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• XTV
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide Hills

TPMS problems

I have had a bad experience with valve stem sensors also - mine were an unexpected gift purchased from a Melbourne based company three or four years ago.

The first disadvantage was that the sensor batteries could not be changed - new sensors complete had to be bought and they had a claimed battery life of two years - on a couple of them I was lucky to get two months! The replacement sensors were ablout $35 each.

The Chinglese user handbook was of little use and they were very hard to setup with changes on the fly to disconnect trailer sensors, or to accommodate changed tyre pressure requirements very difficult and confusing.

Sometimes they took several minutes/kilometres to turn on.

They were also susceptible to other vehicle interference - you would be alongside a truck at the traffic lights and all of a sudden find that one of your trailer tyres was at 60 psi!

The supplier was sometimes hard to get on to for weeks on end, although when you did he did try somewhat. He gave me a couple of free sensors and also an amplifier to try and make the trailer signal larger than the truck alongside. The amplifier was not successful.

When they worked, they were very good, with continuous readouts for each wheel of pressure and temperature with warnings when the readings were outside the setup. Eventually I gave up and I haven't used them for quite a while.

I have been considering getting another set of TPMS, but this time mounted inside the wheels. In the USA, legislation ensures that all new cars come with an installed TPMS using wheel mounted sensors which appear to be reliable and work very well. A car I hired in the USA 18 months ago had such a system, but it did not give continuous information, instead it was arranged to provide a warning when there was a tyre inflation problem.

As theses systems are very reliable, it would be good to know just where the USA car manufacturer's source these systems from and see what they can provide after market.

Colin

Comment

• PradoEater
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Oatley

Thanks guys was looking for the wheel mounted ones they claim 7 years life span if they only work for 5 I'll be happy better than destroying tyre after one month use
              NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.

Comment

• GHendo
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Northern NSW

I had to read my original post to see what I was on about

Yes, the SensaTyre System (this second one I have) has proved excellent.

Unlike the first system I got, this one uses sensors in the wheels that are attached to the inside of the wheel with a band that goes all around the inside of the rim. If you get these, the tyre fitting guys tell me they have to be careful putting the tyres on (using the tyre machine) as to not damage the sensor.

When I first installed the system, only three of the tyres was displaying a reading, however after talking to the bloke who sold them to be (for Hannibal Systems - same fellow sells the tents), he sent me an antenna that you attach under the floor of the vehicle and to the receiver unit on the dash. This made all the world of difference and now, when I start the vehicle I get a reading of pressures within 30-60 seconds of moving off.

Highly recommended and the bloke (think his name is Peter) gives fantastic service as well.

Cheers

Geoff
                03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• PradoEater
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Oatley

Thanks guys sensatyre it is for me looks like there's a place near me that sells them

Comment

• PradoEater
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Oatley

bough the one with six sensors and installed over the weekend, generally happy with it sometimes takes few minutes for rear left to show and spare doesn't appear always.

Can I ask where have you fitted the antenna? at the moment antenna rests in the empty space under the 12v cig plug.
                    I was told to mount the antenna under the car somewhere in the middle.

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

bough the one with six sensors and installed over the weekend, generally happy with it sometimes takes few minutes for rear left to show and spare doesn't appear always.

Can I ask where have you fitted the antenna? at the moment antenna rests in the empty space under the 12v cig plug.
                      I was told to mount the antenna under the car somewhere in the middle.
                      Yeah, you have to mount it under the car floor. I put the antenna wire through where the gear lever comes up and attached it to the side of the fuel tank. BE CAREFUL - don't do what I did ...

Once you get the antenna under there it is like discovering electricity all over again.

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

• PradoEater
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Oatley

Thanks Geoff don't intend driling holes in the tank done that as well in the work van will give it a shot tomorow see how it goes

Comment

• PradoEater
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Oatley

Well I couldn't run the antena ur way Geoff so ended up in the centre console and it iWork's fine for now spare sometimes takes a while to show up other than that that happy with it

Comment

• GHendo
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Northern NSW

Well I couldn't run the antena ur way Geoff so ended up in the centre console and it iWork's fine for now spare sometimes takes a while to show up other than that that happy with it
                            I think the tyre sensor doesn't transmit anything until it senses movement, so seeing the spare isn't going around it probably doesn't transmit any data until you go over a few bumps or something.

Geoff

Comment

• PradoEater
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Oatley

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                              I think the tyre sensor doesn't transmit anything until it senses movement, so seeing the spare isn't going around it probably doesn't transmit any data until you go over a few bumps or something.

Geoff
                              I'll be paying more attention next time I drive it not too concerned thou as long as all 4 driving wheels show up

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X