• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GPC
    • Jun 2012
    • Port Pirie

Gen3 NP front springs

Hi all, I've recently upgraded from an NL to a 2004 NP GLS DID. THe new car has a steel bullbar and winch on it.

I reckon it's still running standard shocks and springs all round. I'm happy with how the back sits, but the front is too low and I'd like some more clearance. I'm really happy with the ride, much softer and more comfortable than the stiff old NL.

I've looked at all the different springs available from King, Lovell, Tough Dog, etc, and they all recommend HD front for diesels with steel bars. However what I want to know is are the HD springs made from a thicker gauge steel or are they longer? I'm concerned that heavy duty ones may make the ride too stiff?

I'd actually like a soft spring with the a similar spring constant as the stock springs that simply have more coil windings and length in order to give the desired lift effect. Do these exist?

thanks
    Greg
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

The HD springs, coupled with that weight on the front, will end up giving you a good ride, more like what the standard springs are like without carrying the extra weight.

What you can do is put HD on the front and SD on the rear. This will keep the ride reasonably soft. Both of these can be had with a 2" lift. Couple them with some decent shocks and they will transform your ride.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Boambee East NSW

I have just removed XHD front and rear dobinson springs from my NM. I put in OME in it now and they are so much plusher on the road. Both sets I have are 2 inch lift. The OME are HD and are so much better.
      NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

Hi Greg

I had Lovell shocks and Dobinsons springs put in a while ago to give me a 2" lift - that is 2" from the original factory setting - because of the how much mine had sagged it went up 90mm at the front !!

Also, because I intend putting a winch on the front, we put a set of spacers about 20mm thick under the springs on the front struts - they came with the struts just for that purpose.

I would expect that you will need to do something similar and should do the rear as well as the front particularly if you still have the original suspension.

I was a bit worried about what ride I would get etc., but it is better than the MM original and feels just as good at high speed even though it is a little higher - probably more stable than before, if anything.

Cheers

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X