• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gigi34
    • Oct 2018
    • Melbourne

2018 Pajero DPF Issues

Hey guys, a well discussed topic.
    Do you know if the 2018 model had some upgrade or still the same system?
    Is that true that at one point you will have to replace the DPF anyway?
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Think you are stressing yourself over nothing. The auto NS did give some people some drama.Note the word some. Haven't heard any bad news from the NT onward with dpf troubles.

Doesn't mater which brand diesel you buy now it will have a dpf..

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      Haven't heard any bad news from the NT onward with dpf troubles.
      For good reason - NT, NW, and early NX didn’t have a DPF (early NTs had a passive DPF which is not monitored vehicle computer and thus does not cause issues).
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• farcanal
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by gigi34 View Post
        Hey guys, a well discussed topic.
        Do you know if the 2018 model had some upgrade or still the same system?
        Is that true that at one point you will have to replace the DPF anyway?
        Thankfully, as with most stuff automotive, there's a few mobs already selling aftermarket DPF's for a fraction of the cost of OEM. I heard a DPF for a Hilux will set you back $15K from your friendly Toyota dealer.
        Google DPFsales….

I bought a 2018 NX in May, done 16,000 kms and I'm not even aware if/when it does a regen.

Comment

• oscaroo
          • Dec 2017
          • Sydney

I have an my18 Pajero since June.
          It does do Regens every 300 to 500km. You'll only know if it's doing one if you've got the odb2 thing plugged in monitoring the exhaust temps. Goes on for 10mins or so.
          If not monitoring that then you wouldn't even know it's there.

It has started a regeneration when I'm about to turn the car off in a couple of minutes - and I just turn the car off. It will eventually resume.

11000km so far.

Comment

• oscaroo
            • Dec 2017
            • Sydney

Also the my 18 uses more fuel than my16 and earlier because of the dpf etc. And the speedometer is more accurate. Only 2km off.

Comment

• farcanal
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by oscaroo View Post
              Also the my 18 uses more fuel than my16 and earlier because of the dpf etc. And the speedometer is more accurate. Only 2km off.
              lol...yeah, my old NP speedo was out by 10%. Helped the missus many times avoiding speeding fines. I never told her the speedo was out and she used to set the cruise at 105...hence only doing 95. Saved fuel as well.

Comment

• Magani
                • Oct 2017
                • Park Ridge Qld

Pajero NX 2017 the DPF issue has bought with it increased sump oil volume. At 7500km did the oil change myself as oil level on dip stick half way to the x mark. 7.5 lit back in but nearly 9 litres out, over 1 lit of diesel in oil. Dealer unhelpful, saying Mitsubishi wont act unless the level is at the X mark, up to that point the vehicle is within spec. Problems continue and I'm changing oil each 5000 cann't accept that the engine is designed to cope with it. Aware manual warns of this for multiple short runs and yes was applicable early K's running grandkids to / from school but now doing lot's of hot runs still have problem. Am I getting diesel into sump via injectors or somewhere else?

Comment

• oscaroo
                  • Dec 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Magani View Post
                  Pajero NX 2017 the DPF issue has bought with it increased sump oil volume. At 7500km did the oil change myself as oil level on dip stick half way to the x mark. 7.5 lit back in but nearly 9 litres out, over 1 lit of diesel in oil

I'm at 12600km and the oil looks pretty black. I am also halfway to the X from the high dot.
                  Eh, 2400km to go before service.

Comment

• markc
                    • Oct 2007
                    • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by farcanal View Post
                    Thankfully, as with most stuff automotive, there's a few mobs already selling aftermarket DPF's for a fraction of the cost of OEM. I heard a DPF for a Hilux will set you back $15K from your friendly Toyota dealer.
                    Google DPFsales….

I bought a 2018 NX in May, done 16,000 kms and I'm not even aware if/when it does a regen.
                    And there is now a class action against toyota for diesel hilux, prado and fortuner due to DPF issues and the vehicles not meeting general consumer needs when used around town. couple this to big $$$ being asked by Toyota to replace the dpf on vehicles with under 20,000 klm and you can see why people are pissed. Toyota will loose this battle in court.

Thankfully Mitsubishi seem to have their current dpf system and engine management systems sorted. Only time will tell but so far for me and 22,000klm my 2017 NX has been faultless apart from a drop in economy compared to my previous NT. I don't see an increase in oil level over 7,500 change intervals but I do have a 22klm (25 min) run to work
                    Last edited by markc; 29-01-19, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• grahamt63
                      • Nov 2018
                      • Chester

Pajero NX 2017 the DPF issue has bought with it increased sump oil volume. At 7500km did the oil change myself as oil level on dip stick half way to the x mark. 7.5 lit back in but nearly 9 litres out, over 1 lit of diesel in oil. Dealer unhelpful, saying Mitsubishi wont act unless the level is at the X mark, up to that point the vehicle is within spec. Problems continue and I'm changing oil each 5000 cann't accept that the engine is designed to cope with it. Aware manual warns of this for multiple short runs and yes was applicable early K's running grandkids to / from school but now doing lot's of hot runs still have problem. Am I getting diesel into sump via injectors or somewhere else?
                      You could get diesel into the sump if the common injector rail or it's connections have a leak.....all under the rocket cover. Most likely if you've had the tappets adjusted / checked and the tech hasn't tighened them correctly........at your mileage though I don't think you'll have had this done.

I've never had my oil level increase in 4 years of ownership. But I always monitor, using the torque app, the Cat temperature and when I see it doing a regen I always drive on to ensure it completes properly. I have heard if you switch off the engine during a regen any excess diesel can end up in the sump.

Comment

• s311_bvm
                        • Oct 2011
                        • AUS

Yes Diesel into the sump via the injectors...

The chain of events is this....
                        - The Diesel Particulate Filter catches and removes particulate matter,
                        - The 4M41 ECU calculates the amount of particulate matter built up based on input from 3 different sensors,
                        - When the Particulate Matter reaches a threshold value the ECU initiates a DPF burn,
                        - This is completed by dumping extra Diesel in the combustion chamber to form a blow torch effect, (In some Diesel's this is done during the exhaust stroke),
                        - The temp in the Pajero DPF gets to 600C and this value is monitored at the third exhaust gas sensor,
                        - The ECU will only allow it to commence if, the engine is warm, the transmission is in D and the vehicle speed is over 40 Km/h,
                        - The problem is dumping extra Diesel in does not produce a 100% efficient burn and excess mixes with the engine oil diluting it,
                        - If you regularly check the engine oil when cold you will see the fluid level increase over time,

If doing short trips the number of burns per 7,500 km will be far more, as particulate matter will build up more frequently per km forcing more burns and dumping more diesel in to start the blow torch down the exhaust to the DPF....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X