• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe2006
    • Jan 2011
    • Central Victoria

Tyre Topic: Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus

Joe's post has been hijacked as a Tyre Topic for members to post about Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. Post your thoughts on grip, noise, wear, airing down, or anything else you consider of interest to other members.

Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus.

Rules for Tyre Topics:
    • Tyre Topics are intended to be information sources. Both positive and negative reports are encouraged.
    • Tyre Topics are NOT for slanging matches. Any posts which don't contain useful information may be deleted.
    • Please post first hand accounts only - "my tyres" or "I saw" reports. Any "mate said" or "I heard" stories may be deleted.
    • Comparisons with other tyres are acceptable, if they contain first hand accounts (see above.) "Buy XXX instead" opinions (without first hand stories to back them up) are not.

An index of Tyre Topics can be found in the Tyre Topics Index.

We now return you to Joe's post:

Purchased a set of Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus LT 265/75R/16 123S fo the wifes NP Pajero.

These are a relatively new offering from Pirelli.

These replaced Cooper AT3 types of the same size that had done 109,000ks. The Coopers were noisy for probably the last half of their life.

The Pirelli's are quiet despite looking a little aggresive.

I think the price was good at $265 a piece. The bad was that they somehow managed to put a hole in one of the wheel nuts which I didn't notice until we got home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joe2006; 02-11-19, 10:28 PM.
    Cheers Joe

2004 NP GLX DID Auto
  • kerway
    • Aug 2010
    • North West Sydney

I'm looking forward to hearing whether you're happy with your new Pirelli's after a few more km. I've had the previous Scorpions for about 65000 km on my NW and have been happy with them. They're starting to get a bit slippery in the wet when in 2wd but after 70k km I can't complain. I just slip it into 4H and no issues at all.

I'll get a bit more out of them yet
    kerway
    NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• joe2006
      • Jan 2011
      • Central Victoria

I was actually after the older Scorpions because the wife wanted a quiet tyre but that particular tyre shop could only get the All Terrain Plus. Bit early for people to say but what reviews that I could find, suggested the All Terrain Plus was also quiet. Figured I would give the new ones a go.

You must be happy with yours if you are considering sticking with the brand.
      Cheers Joe

2004 NP GLX DID Auto

Comment

• Paj11
        • Jun 2017
        • Sydney

I picked up 5 X 265/70/17 yesterday for a tad under $1500 fitted, they the last in the country so went cheap, manufactured 09/19 so no age on them at all, they look great, replaced the older version 7 year old BFG KOs that we’re starting to make a lot of noise and the ride was starting to get uncomfortable, just took them for a 10 min drive straight afterwards, noise level, well jury still out on that, not sure there was a huge difference, perhaps another 1000kms will tell, ride comfort, that’s where I noticed the difference, the KOs has a really stiff sidewall, so really felt the bumps, the Pirellis are LTs but obviously have more give, the ride was a lot more comfortable. I will see how they go on sand over January, the KOs were great on sand and gave me a high level of confidence that I wouldn’t get bogged down.
        2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Paj11
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

I have been driving on them for a few hundred k on the black and the most obvious thing is the ride comfort, at least anyway compared to the KO, it’s more supple going over bumps and the jarring is much less, so it goes to show the difference in sidewall stiffness. The noise is less, but they are a new tyre so expected, I am happy with the purchase as they suit what I need, as far as how they handle the wet, well I don’t think I will out to soon in Sydney, I will see how they handle the sand in January.
          2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Paj11
            • Jun 2017
            • Sydney

Ok, some reporting back on the Scorpions, I have travelled up to my usual holiday spot a few days ago with a PWC in tow and car decently loaded, over many trips to this location at 300km away I usually average 13 to 13.5L per 100km, it went down to an average of 10.5 to 11L per 100km, unloaded around 9 to 9.5, before was getting around 11L, so the tyres have made a big difference when compared to the KOs Series 1, on the sand they gripped well, no issues at all, and overall the drive a lot more comfortable. So they get my tick of approval.

Comment

• hinsch
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Perth

Scorpion PLus price

Just got quoted $329 per tyre that's everything included, is that a good price, plus alignment $60.00
              Anybody dealt with Tyroola before they are $290 fitted free at home but then got alignment.
              TIA
              NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• gas55
                • Apr 2015
                • Port Macquarie

I tow a single axle 'van of about two tonnes with my NW, and have had a good run with Pirelli Scorpion ATR's.
                Last year we did a road trip of about 9,000k's and when we got back the rears were shot. Really bald.
                I know independent rear ends can be hard on tyres.
                Went to Bob Janes and got Bridgestone Dueller AT's, 8ply light truck, for $199 each fitted.
                I have been a good customer over the years and was very pleased with that!
                Have since fitted Kings springs in the rear as well, so I'll see how she goes when we are mobile again. So far the tyres are quiet and not hard at all on road.

Greg
                Last edited by gas55; 11-03-21, 06:08 PM.
                Greg

Comment

• greenie537
                  • Feb 2023
                  • New Zealand

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
                  I picked up 5 X 265/70/17 yesterday for a tad under $1500 fitted, they the last in the country so went cheap, manufactured 09/19 so no age on them at all, they look great, replaced the older version 7 year old BFG KOs that we’re starting to make a lot of noise and the ride was starting to get uncomfortable, just took them for a 10 min drive straight afterwards, noise level, well jury still out on that, not sure there was a huge difference, perhaps another 1000kms will tell, ride comfort, that’s where I noticed the difference, the KOs has a really stiff sidewall, so really felt the bumps, the Pirellis are LTs but obviously have more give, the ride was a lot more comfortable. I will see how they go on sand over January, the KOs were great on sand and gave me a high level of confidence that I wouldn’t get bogged down.
                  Did you get LT or no LT version? And still happy?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X