• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

UHF handheld vs vehicle mounted

Are there any downsides to getting a 2w handheld over a vehicle mounted 5w? Will only be used for short range and as I'm probably not keeping my current car it seems like an attractive option. Thoughts please.
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • rgrubby
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Wellington - NZ

Downsides are short range and battery life. Handhelds also have the upsides of use outside the vehicle and you can use in any vehicle.

Another good option for short term installs is this...
    The TX3100 Plug ‘n’ Play comes packed with a high performance 2.5 inch rare-earth magnetic antenna connected with a no solder GME plug, a stylish adjustable suction bracket, an in-car cigarette power lead and the super compact flip-feature 5 watt UHF CB radio.
    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
      Downsides are short range and battery life. Handhelds also have the upsides of use outside the vehicle and you can use in any vehicle.

Another good option for short term installs is this...
      https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/fix...tx3100pnp.aspx
      Exactly my thoughts too. Be aware that some handhelds will not transmit or receive when on charge (I had a 2w GME that behaved like this but the new ones may be different??)
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Paul (SA)
        • Apr 2013
        • Australia

Is it just me or are UHFs becoming less used these days?

With the proliferation of mobiles and apps I'm finding very little chatter on the radio.

Makes me think that a handheld is better for the vehicle and wallet for those times you are in a convoy.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

I use a Uniden 5w handheld.

I can take it with me when I fly & rent a vehicle elsewhere & when I am hiking away from the car, eg, in The Flinders & Arkaroola I can usually hit a repeater or homestead when hiking.

A external antenna can be used, so it is possible to fit one outside the car & have the best of both worlds. Mine came with an extra mic so I can use it in the car just like a fixed one. I'd go 5w rather than 2w. My 5w can be switched to 1w if I want to limit the range or conserve the battery.

UHF is very much "line of sight", so if your car is below the hills it can be hard to get a signal out, but with a handheld you can climb to higher ground - particularly useful in emergencies, etc.

I often see them at very good prices at the 4WD & caravan shows, eg, next month here in Adelaide. Also Electric Bug are very good with this stuff (no association).
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by Paul (SA) View Post
            Is it just me or are UHFs becoming less used these days?

With the proliferation of mobiles and apps I'm finding very little chatter on the radio.

Makes me think that a handheld is better for the vehicle and wallet for those times you are in a convoy.
            I'd say definitely no. A UHF is invaluable when travelling in convoy, everyone can hear the instructions and you can talk to the trucks as well, to let them know you're pulling over etc.

I'm finding there's still a lot of chatter in towns but with so many channels you can usually get a clear one. Our club doesn't allow members if they have no fixed UHF, a hand held doesn't count.

If you get a set which has the controls on the mic, then you can just take it out agin when changing cars. The body sits on the tunnel boot behind the radio so no drillling is required.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Having Fun
              • Jun 2015
              • Adelaide

A 2W hand held works perfectly well in every situation mentioned in this thread.

I've been using them for quite a while off the beaten track & have never had an issue. Last year, we could hear 2 road train drivers talking to each other on the Cordillo Downs Road from 15KM away at Haddon Corner, with those 2 sand dunes out there in between them & us.

If clubs want you to mount a UHF and you want to suck on someone else's dust & play follow the leader as you travel, then you'll have to mount one.

For the rest of us, a 2W hand held works fine.

Don't rely on any UHF in an emergency though, mounted, nor hand held. For emergency comms, get a sat phone IMO.

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                If clubs want you to mount a UHF and you want to suck on someone else's dust & play follow the leader as you travel, then you'll have to mount one.

For the rest of us, a 2W hand held works fine.
                If you want to travel alone, go for it but don't knock group travel and don't assume we suck dust.

Sheesh, what an attitude, settle down dude.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

I think having fun was referring to the men of importance making unimportant and irrelevant decisions because they can. Recovery painted. Paint them red or yellow and away you go.

I hope MMM engineers would now more that Roger Squire who is in charge of safety at a club but works as an accountant for K mart.

Comment

• Seigried
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2016
                    • brisbane

I have had a uniden 5w handheld for over a decade. Still going strong. Great for travelling in a convoy. Having said that i have recently been thinking of getting something more permanent with the hand held for when im out of the car.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

I've been in convoys where we can be many klms apart, front to back, particularly in the desert, to avoid dust (Having fun take note please - that is correct convoy procedure).
                      We had a car radio break down and they had to use their hand held. They were difficult to hear and we had someone relaying their transmissions. I had exactly the same experience in the high country with a car using a hand held so to say they are equivalent to a fixed unit with a fixed aerial is plain wrong.

Comment

• Having Fun
                        • Jun 2015
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                        If you want to travel alone, go for it but don't knock group travel and don't assume we suck dust.

Sheesh, what an attitude, settle down dude.

What attitude? I'm quite settled thanks!

You've made an assumption! I don't have to travel alone to not be following a leader in some sort of pageant of 4x4's.

Comment

• Having Fun
                          • Jun 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                          I think having fun was referring to the men of importance making unimportant and irrelevant decisions because they can. Recovery painted. Paint them red or yellow and away you go.

I hope MMM engineers would now more that Roger Squire who is in charge of safety at a club but works as an accountant for K mart.

Correct!

Comment

• Having Fun
                            • Jun 2015
                            • Adelaide

I've been in convoys where we can be many klms apart, front to back, particularly in the desert, to avoid dust (Having fun take note please - that is correct convoy procedure).
                            We had a car radio break down and they had to use their hand held. They were difficult to hear and we had someone relaying their transmissions. I had exactly the same experience in the high country with a car using a hand held so to say they are equivalent to a fixed unit with a fixed aerial is plain wrong.

You make assumptions! My traveling in convoy experience started over 40 years ago & spanned several decades. I was getting paid to do it & the clubs have based their procedures directly from what we used to do! From my perspective, it was boring enough to do it as a job. I don't want, nor need it on holiday! But if you do, that's great. At least it gets you out there

I didn't write that bit that you've written on the end of your post. I said "For the rest of us, a 2W hand held works fine". And it does!

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Greater Sydney

Imagine how difficult it would be to hear them without their handheld.

Maybe your club should make it mandatory to carry handhelds as back up.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X