Below Nav Bar

Collapse

When DiD your NM/NP 3.2 Diesel injection pump needed replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

When DiD your NM/NP 3.2 Diesel injection pump needed replacing?

This thread is for 3.2 DiD NM or NP Motors...
    You CRD folks can listen and enjoy

Been investigating problems with my car and whilst I suspect its the fuel pump, no "expert" can confirm....I dont want to fork out may thousand $$$ without being sure.

Seems to be a fairly common fault that failures lead to the replacement of the fuel injection pump.

So, I thought it would be good to have a thread that consolidated peoples experiences.

How many km had you car done before needing a replacement pump?
    What were the main symptoms you experienced that were caused by the faulty pump?
    Last edited by m_and_m; 30-03-15, 09:12 PM.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • wazza1965
    • Mar 2011
    • Brisbane

Injector pump fail

My injector pump failed at just over 400k. I was getting a rough idle but ran fine just over idle and above. When it finally failed it dumped fuel causing huge black plume. New pump at just over $5k all good again.
    NM2002 Exceed DID. Safari Snorkel, Garrett GTX2863R Turbo, HPD Intercooler, Synergy / Turbosmart controllers, Mandrel 3" Exhaust Pyro, Built auto, ECB Bar with 12,000lb Winch & Dyneema rope, Rotronic battery system, 2x 120Amp/h AGM AUX batteries, Lovell 2", Airbags, Rhino AT2012, Fiamma Awning. 4x IPF spots 120w HID inserts. Alpine NAV Bluetooth with Type R sound system, UHF Uniden UH8080NB, Couplertec. Rear draw system, 1500w inverter. ARB twin comp / tank, ARB Locker. Evakool. NASA BM-1.

Comment

• tiler607
      • Dec 2013
      • Jervis bay NSW

Diesel Pump

My Pump went at 185,000 Ks the scan tool showed Code 41 which from memory is GU actuator, The symptoms were it would not start and then a day later it would run for a few days and stop south coast diesel repaired the pump and i was told their was metal in the pump and i should have asked more questions which may have helped all of us here on the forum.
      To sum up cost $4,500 with additional 5 micron filter and 50 mils of diesel flash lube in main tank an auxiliary when i fill up. I was told that my DP chip could have contributed to the problem[more fuel more heat] but that view was later discounted,it would be of interest to know if those with chips have done a lot of Ks on their NPs without pump problems.I also spoke to the Sydney Diesel centre and his view was that all pumps will go he felt i was unlucky in that mine went so early. Hope my comments are of some help regards

Comment

• RUGGA
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Adelaide

I'm not showing this thread to my car and am only reading it with on eye open.
        Carry on.......
        02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• idw
          • Jan 2010
          • Newcastle NSW

NP DID pump replaced.

Around 200K and 2 years ago. Over about a week started with a few misfires and running rough .Some days later would start and then very rough and heaps of smoke.Tried a few things (filter ,egr blank).
          Took for a drive and going but not 100% .Stopped and restarted then heaps of smoke and CEL came up on dash.Some time later it started and was able to park in garage but still not running properly.
          Tried again next day and wouldn,t start.
          Towed to Mitsubishi dealer.Diagnosed as faulty timing control and fuel solenoid.
          2 Weeks later a brand new pump from Japan and about $4800 fitted.
          Has been running fine since.
          See my post from 2 years ago for full details.
          Ian
          Last edited by idw; 30-03-15, 08:08 PM. Reason: correction
          2002 NP GLS DiD Manual

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Cairns

I bought my Paj not knowing that the pump was knackered, with 94K on the clock.
            Symptoms were extreme surging at light throttle openings when between 1500 and 2000rpm.
            It never stalled or blew any smoke, it just ran like a dog at the times mentioned above.
            Dan.
            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• averhamme
              • Mar 2010
              • Belgium

NP, 325k's, chipped, running good and well.

Touching wood ...

A
              Pajero 2006, 3.2 Did LWB. Tuned, Blocked EGR, Dual battery system, roof tent, Old Man Emu suspension, aluminium skid plates, 22 inch LED light bar. Iceland, Norway, Balkan, North Africa ...
              Some 480.000 km.

Comment

• Phil
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2008
                • Sydney

Around the 170k mark 6 years ago, found out the first owners liked to experiment with fuel. ers
                Ran poorly and white smoke = unburnt fuel.
                Reco blue printed pump, no further problems

Fault codes are all ways a big help in diagnosing faults.

These pumps are not common to failure, its poor fuel that will kill them most of the time.

Use factory or above mircon rated fuel filters and change often, 20 000 k's max
                MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• m_and_m
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                  These pumps are not common to failure, its poor fuel that will kill them most of the time.
                  That's interesting. I read the '07 NS/triton inlet mainifold was pretty much fine overseas. But with Australian fuel it caused the inlet manifold to clog up.
                  Are the factory filters adequate? And is it the fuel that really causes them to fail?
                  2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                  Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Wils4x4
                    • Apr 2015
                    • WA

possible similarity

I have read this thread with interest and can report a "similar" problem that the pros (of which I am NOT), reckon its fuel pump related.
                    problem is only when engine cold - once in top gear (its an auto), if the revs fall to around 1500, then where a light touch of more throttle would promote a gear change, this does not happen. instead the car wallows along loosing revs and blowing clouds of black smoke, finally changes down and all good. same road in warm engine and all functions perfectly well. Pros have run with flight recorder on and no alarms shown when problem occurs - according to computer all is normal !
                    I suspect the problem lies in the system that detects load on the engine. it is allocating the right amount of fuel, expecting the gear change, but no change happens.
                    possibly a red herring, but the problem occurred immediately after a service, which was subsequently found to have over filled the engine oil, by some 2L.
                    Dealer has washed his hands of problem - Fuel injection experts are not convinced its fuel pump related.
                    HELP PLEASE !!!!ANYONE???

Comment

• Stuartlogan
                      • Dec 2015
                      • Belfast

I have similar problem smoking when idle no power and when I changed glow plugs today all 4 covered in oil it's a 1999 2.5 challenger any tip of what it could be

Comment

• DARKMAZE
                        • Jul 2015
                        • Belmont, Victoria

Can't answer you Stuart, but to add mine, failed at 301,000km.

Was still derivable if you could left-foot brake to keep the thing off idle, but I'm sure it wasn't too good for it in the long run.

New pump fitted, all better (although it feels a little down on power these days, but that might just be that I got used to driving the XT forester instead, maybe I should book it in for a dyno tune out of interest and see someone about a power-up while I'm there)

Comment

• nifty
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2009

325,000Klm

Comment

• Hookie
                            • Dec 2015
                            • Coffs Harbour

As the recent purchaser of a 2004 with 280k on the odometer, this thread terrifies me. In fact, if I'd seen it prior, I probably wouldn't have bought it. 5k is almost half of what I spent on the entire vehicle. Aside from gambling on who has the best quality diesel, are there any steps that can be taken to avoid this catastrophic failure?
                            SOLD - 2004 Exceed Di-D, 2" Lovells-Lovells lift, Boo's sump/intercooler/transmission guards, 4 way breather, dual batteries, General Grabber AT2s, Tough Toys LED awning

Comment

• m_and_m
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Hookie View Post
                              As the recent purchaser of a 2004 with 280k on the odometer, this thread terrifies me. In fact, if I'd seen it prior, I probably wouldn't have bought it. 5k is almost half of what I spent on the entire vehicle. Aside from gambling on who has the best quality diesel, are there any steps that can be taken to avoid this catastrophic failure?
                              good fuel filtration and good quality fuel.
                              Make sure you change the fuel filter. Other than that, not much you can do.
                              I use Caltex vortex a my first preference.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X