Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Brake issue NP MY04 with ABS, possible master cyl??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garfield
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Moonta Bay SA

Ricstar,
    Hi, I recently change over my HBB in a NP GLX, because of issue with abs, unfortunately the issue was unrelated to the HBB, so I have a unit spare for sale. If you are interested. I can send part numbers etc. cost $450
    regards Garfield

Comment

• Ricstar
      • Mar 2008
      • Brisbane

Thanks Garfield.

Thanks for the offer. really appreciated. As it is now on this forum that you have one, hopefully it can help someone else.

At this stage it is with BHSS at Capalaba and should be fixed Monday.

I did some tests as per Mitsu service manual Tuesday night. I had already phoned and booked with BHS, but was booked for the 26th. I then emailed BHSS Wednesday morning requesting more details on the repair, costs etc and any chance to do it earlier if possible.
      Quite confident the issue is only with the master cylinder and ABS, Accumulator and accumulator motor all still working ok.

Wife said Wednesday afternoon it got worse quickly. Peddle sinks in half the time. I got a call from Rob at BHSS at 4:30pm responding to my email and within 40 minutes we were at his workshop.

Follow up call yesterday, master cylinder not in good condition but is serviceable by resleaving. Cost should still be the same. Fluid was starting to leak back into the cabin.
      Once it is fixed I will investigate the cause. At 127K it should not be in the condition it was. I am the 2nd owner and the first owner gave me all the original service paperwork for all services up to 70k when we bought it. It was always serviced by a Mitsu dealer in Melbourne.
      I don't do beach driving and always paid someone to do the two year brake fluid flushes.
      Only from my phone conversation yesterday, one cause maybe that it looks like incorrect fluid was used and so this impacted the condition of the seals and corrosion. Anyhow. Will not speculate. Will work on facts once I pick IT UP.

Sorry. Hard typing whilst my fingers are still crossed.

Investigating options, As a backup was that if needed I found an identical HBB at a wrecker close by in a 2010 Pajero.

Will post more info early next week.
      03 NP Exceed 3.5 Auto - LPG Inj, Tinting, 2.5t tow, Piranha / Remco dual battery setup, Maxxis 771 265/70/R16 - LT, GME 3420 UHF, 2" lift Kings and Bilstien?s, Engel 40L, Custom rear shelf, one wife, one child, Jayco Swift, no boat, And a Toy Poodle who prefers to ride in the Paj over the Commodore (My Mitsubishi Puppy).
      Xmas list, Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Smartbar

Comment

• Bisho
        • Jan 2012
        • Adelaide Hills

Feelin your pain Ricstar. Very frustrating considering models manufactured 6 months before mine had a recall for a fault in the brake system and got a free fix.

Keen to hear the out come. At least the Paj is in good hands. Keep us posted.
        2003 NP GLS DiD 3.2L Auto, ARB Bullbar, Narva Ultima 225's, GME TX3220, Dual Batteries, LED Rear W/Lights, Rhino HD Bars, 60L Long Ranger Aux Tank, Ebay Snorkel (no shame), Unifilter, Polyair Springs, Maxxis AT771 265/70/16, Bisho's Custom O/Head Console (pics) & Bisho's Custom Centre Console wtih Classic Chocolate Milk Holders!!(pics)...to be continued...

Comment

• dolphin
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008

i have the recall fix of the brake accumulator free with my 2000 NM still never had any issues with a failing master cylinder thank god. a mate has a new 2013 model navara and i have to say the brake booster system is tops just like the older vehicles, big round booster and a front master cylinder that can be removed via 2 bolts and a couple of abs plugs and presto the master cylinder is in your hand and ready to be repaired if a leak is there . this is how things should be not this $2,500 complete unit crap without the chance of repairing a simple master cylinder where parts are only a few or so dollars. Mitsubishi need to change there mechanical designs like other modern vehicles have like there opposition Nissan.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Goodsy
            Who ya gunna call....
            • Dec 2010
            • Hervey Bay

Still cannot understand why MM have not made the master cylinder a removable and replaceable part.

Makes no sense. It's such a waste of good working parts!
            .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Ricstar
              • Mar 2008
              • Brisbane

Well all is goodness.

Picked up Paj Tuesday from BHSS
              • End result was all Hydraulic rubbers replaced as they had perished.
              • Main and 2nd bore re-sleaved
              • Armature and bearings for booster/accumulator replaced.

ABS unit and accumulator tested and were good. My accumulator was the newer one, not the older black bubble/sphere type. They tell me if they come across the older type, they replace it.

BHSS believes my system had Dot 3 in it, not Dot4. Hence me having the system flushed every two years was not enough to stop corrosion due to the Dot 3 not handling the heat and absorbing moisture which intern caused corrosion and pitting in the master cylinder.

Also my invoiced from previous flushes only shows 500ml used. BHSS advises, this is not even enough to fill the reservoir let alone flush the entire system.
              I would expect it to be more like 2L.

So work performed was to remove and refit the HBB, recondition by re-boring, new rubbers, and booster armature and bearings.

All fluids were purged/flushed and fully replaced with fresh new Dot 4.

I got it home and had a heart attack. Had a look at the HBB Fluid reservoir Min/Max window and it was clear so I thought it had drained and was empty. Opened the lid, nope. All is good. New Dot 4 fluid is clear as water so you can't use the Min/Max through the plastic reservoir to check levels.

I will not name the company that has done the previous brake flushes, but I would suggest you ask anyone who does it for you to specify how they do it, what tools they use , eg how do they activate the ABS solenoids and how much fluid they use and ask if you can watch.

Eg, for the ABS units, you need a Scan tool to activate the solenoids to allow fluid to flow or once fully flushed, take the vehicle for a drive and activate the ABS a few times to get the fluid through it, then full flush again.

Or if in Brisbane, just take it to HBSS.

I initially phoned, but to get to the source, I suggest emailing them with the details of your problem and direct your email to Rob.

So overall the repair for the parts and work for my job cost me $1067 Inc, so I am happy with that and the wife is happy the little paj can now stop.

All is goodness.
              03 NP Exceed 3.5 Auto - LPG Inj, Tinting, 2.5t tow, Piranha / Remco dual battery setup, Maxxis 771 265/70/R16 - LT, GME 3420 UHF, 2" lift Kings and Bilstien?s, Engel 40L, Custom rear shelf, one wife, one child, Jayco Swift, no boat, And a Toy Poodle who prefers to ride in the Paj over the Commodore (My Mitsubishi Puppy).

Comment

• dolphin
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008

wonder if this m/ cylinder set up is the same as another member had issues with and had to pay out over $2,500. they say we can,t touch these due to the abs ????
                NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• kiwi1973
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • New Zealand

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                  wonder if this m/ cylinder set up is the same as another member had issues with and had to pay out over $2,500. they say we can,t touch these due to the abs ????
                  I think they're basically identical units between the gen 3 and gen4, although they aren't interchangeable as the wiring is different somehow. But yes, there seems to have been some confusion as to whether these units are repairable or not. General advice has been that they aren't, so it's encouraging to read of one that has actually been repaired.
                  2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Ricstar
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by kiwi1973 View Post
                    I think they're basically identical units between the gen 3 and gen4, although they aren't interchangeable as the wiring is different somehow.
                    When I did my research I found the part number MR569728 off my HBB on my 2003 NP 3.5 - Sept Build is the same as the HBB part number I found on a 2010 Paj on ebay.
                    I phoned a dealer parts dept, providing the VIN of my vehicle and the donor vehicle, the MR569728 was coming off and confirmed they are the same.

From ebay add. Note it is listed at $530
                    Item - MITSUBISHI PAJERO ABS PUMP/MODULATOR NS-Nw 11/06- 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14

Used in - PAJERO 2006 - 2014 NS-Nw 11/06-

As mentioned, The ABS unit is not really repairable, but parts are available for a replacement accumulator and motors and re-sleaving of the master cylinder and new hydraulic seals/rubbers, etc.

Comment

• geoffma
                      • Nov 2008

I have the exact same thing happening on my NP DiD.
                      mitsi said it was behaving normally for a vehicle of this age.

Has anyone found the problem?

Comment

• geoffma
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by geoffma View Post
                        I have the exact same thing happening on my NP DiD.
                        mitsi said it was behaving normally for a vehicle of this age.

Has anyone found the problem?
                        Now, 4 months later brakes have totally failed. Off to mitsubishi on monday.

As a word of warning, total brake failure came with no warning lights or sounds. Only pumping the pedal a dozen times got the ABS lights and warning sound.

Comment

• Ricstar
                          • Mar 2008
                          • Brisbane

You say "Mitsu said it was usual for a car its age". How old is your Paj and KMs?

Which State are you in?

I am lucky in QLD. HBSS in Capalaba were great. Lucky to have someone local to totally recondition and have parts to replace for $1000 instead of paying Mit$u $2500 just for the HBA and then labour on top of that.

I know HBSS preference is to take the unit out of the car, recondition and refit and test, but I know they do a lot of work for interstate where HBA's are shipped to them to recondition and then they send back to your brake shop in your state.

Or maybe come up to Bris for a trip and get them fixed, but just head straight up and don't stop on the way. Oh, Doh. Forgot!, You can't stop.

Seriously, Usually when the Master Cylinder starts to go, the pedal will sink but only if holding foot on break, eg on a hill at lights, etc. Once going and just normal braking it works, just don't hold it whilst going down hill.

Let us know how you go anyways.

Comment

• geoffma
                            • Nov 2008

NP 2004. 225,000 km.

Dropped it off to mitsubishi today. Was a nerve wracking 6km drive with only the handbrake!

Comment

• geoffma
                              • Nov 2008

$5000. And a month later I have my pajero back.

Had to order a new hydraulic booster assemble from Japan which was $3050 on its own.

I'm sure Ferrari brake assemblies are cheaper than this!

Comment

• RUGGA
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2014
                                • Adelaide

This is CrAzY

Geez, your taking it well geoffma

Where they decent enough to give you a reason Why it failed???
                                02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X